Denied boarding

Kosmo82899

Just wanted to get some input from other cruisers and any tips on how to possibly win this battle against Carnival. Here is my story. Myself, my wife, my son, my daughter and her boyfriend who is 18 were supposed to cruise on the Carnival Paradise out of Tampa last week. Her boyfriend was denied boarding because he didn't have any form of photo id with him because he accidently left it in the hotel room in Georgia we had stayed at the previous night. We had his birth certificate and the hotel found his wallet with drivers license in it and sent us and Carnival a picture of the license. After waiting for over 3 hours we were told he wouldn't be allowed to board. Now we are fighting with Carnival to try to get the money we had paid to be put towards a future cruise with them. They are refusing to give us anything back or put towards another cruise because we didn't purchase the insurance they offer. We were told by the Carnival employees in Tampa that the insurance wouldn't have helped in this situation anyway but that is not what customer care is telling us. We have been on multiple cruises with Carnival and brought other couples previously on their first cruises. I am failing to see what Carnival feels like they will be losing by giving us our money towards another cruise with them. It was a 5 day cruise from Tampa to Mexico in the cheapest cabin they had so they won't be out much money in my opinion. Anyone with any suggestions on this?

What was the rational after they got photo ID?

A picture of photo ID is not photo ID.

OP, I am sorry that this happened to you but it is highly doubtful that there is anything that CCL will do for you, the contract is clear that no refunds are due if the passenger doesn't have the required travel documentation. Whether or not insurance would have helped is kind of beside the point but many policies will cover losing or theft of ID (but of course each policy is different).

Just wanted to get some input from other cruisers and any tips on how to possibly win this battle against Carnival. Here is my story. Myself, my wife, my son, my daughter and her boyfriend who is 18 were supposed to cruise on the Carnival Paradise out of Tampa last week. Her boyfriend was denied boarding because he didn't have any form of photo id with him because he accidently left it in the hotel room in Georgia we had stayed at the previous night. We had his birth certificate and the hotel found his wallet with drivers license in it and sent us and Carnival a picture of the license. After waiting for over 3 hours we were told he wouldn't be allowed to board. Now we are fighting with Carnival to try to get the money we had paid to be put towards a future cruise with them. They are refusing to give us anything back or put towards another cruise because we didn't purchase the insurance they offer. We were told by the Carnival employees in Tampa that the insurance wouldn't have helped in this situation anyway but that is not what customer care is telling us. We have been on multiple cruises with Carnival and brought other couples previously on their first cruises. I am failing to see what Carnival feels like they will be losing by giving us our money towards another cruise with them. It was a 5 day cruise from Tampa to Mexico in the cheapest cabin they had so they won't be out much money in my opinion. Anyone with any suggestions on this?

You say carnival wont be out much money because you booked the cheapest cabin, then you are not out much money since it was a cheap cabin. It would be nice if carnival helped you, but its not their fault and why should they lose any money when they are not at fault.

So none of you went on the cruise because the boyfriend forgot his wallet? That sucks. Technically, you are only entitled to a refund of port fees. While it would be nice if Carnival credited you the amount you paid, they are not obligated to. It is not Carnival's fault the boyfriend forgot his wallet. Even if you had the insurance, Carnival itself would not have reimbursed you. The insurance company may have, but I am not sure if the policy offered through Carnival covers forgotten travel.

If you truly believe you were wronged, then file a chargeback on your credit card. Carnival will likely win the chargeback. Then you file a chargeback a second time, which goes through the arbitration process. It's very rare that companies continue to fight at that point and you are likely to get your money back without anything additional. If they do continue to fight, you go through arbitration and the worst that can happen is you are out the money you were already out. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

If you end up winning, Carnival may not want you onboard ever again, though :)

My opinion, for the penny that it's worth - is that this says a lot more about Carnival simply not caring. Regardless of what rules or terms state, Carnival can certainly make exceptions "for the sake of customer satisfaction" - that's a term I got used to when working for a major tech company long ago. Carnival wins nothing and it's bad business on their part. But what can you do? I'm not sure how I'd handle it, personally.

Edited by BNBR

You really dont have a leg to stand on. He didnt have proper travel documents and they were well within their right to deny boarding here. A picture of a DL is not a valid DL.

The last time we sailed out of Tampa, my mom left her purse in the womens bathroom of Target the night before the cruise. :eek: Her Passport, Drivers License, credit cards, cash......EVERYTHING! Luckily we noticed quickly and rushed back to the store to find a honest employee had found it and turned it in.

No way would I have expected the cruiseline to refund us had her purse not turned up. Its not their fault.

I wish you all the best of luck though! Id consider it a lesson learned myself.

Edited by ryano

I'm sorry this happened to you but it is in no way Carnival's responsibility to pick up the financial loss for the boyfriend's forgetfulness. You made the decision not to sail on with out him...so your loss is your responsibility. The boyfriend left his wallet behind...so that is his responsibility. Carnival was just following our government's rules by not letting him board without a photo ID. Live, learn, and move on with your life.

If it were me, the bf would have gotten left (I'm just mean like that). There is no way an entire vacation would be ruined over someone being irresponsible.

Sucks this happened but Carnival isn't responsible and doesn't have to give anything back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually, I have read on this website in past threads where the Port accepted a photo copy of identification when a wallet or purse was left behind.

Boy, that is a tough lesson to learn causing your entire family to miss vacation because he left his wallet behind.

If it were me, I would at least write a letter and appeal to them to reconsider their decision. It can't hurt to give it one more try.

So sorry you experienced that - what a real let down.

Actually, I have read on this website in past threads where the Port accepted a photo copy of identification when a wallet or purse was left behind.

Boy, that is a tough lesson to learn causing your entire family to miss vacation because he left his wallet behind.

If it were me, I would at least write a letter and appeal to them to reconsider their decision. It can't hurt to give it one more try.

So sorry you experienced that - what a real let down.

I have never read on CC where a photo copy of a photo ID was accepted for boarding. Copies of BC yes. WHTI states that copies of BC are acceptable. It does not say that about photo ID's.

You can certainly try to appeal, however be prepared for a no. The 3 hour delay you experienced was probably due to the fact they ran the situation through CBP/USCIS at the port who most likely gave them a preliminary negative (which is at the discretion of the officer). So it would have been a govt decision not just one by CCL staff. However, it never hurts to ask!

I have never read on CC where a photo copy of a photo ID was accepted for boarding. Copies of BC yes. WHTI states that copies of BC are acceptable. It does not say that about photo ID's.

I just did some CC searching and found paper drivers licenses, but these are actual government issued and not just a copy. I can't find anything on copy's of ID either.

I can only imagine the disappointment of arriving at port to find out that someone in your party did not have proper documentation. Unfortunately, I have to agree with most posters, that Carnival is not under any obligation to refund you the money, although it could make good business sense for them to do so..

Poor kid - he must have felt awful to have caused his girlfriends entire family to miss a cruise. I don't know what I would have done in that situation, if I was in your shoes. I might have called the boyfriends parents, to alert them to the situation, and to see about flying him home, and then gone on with the trip - after all, he's an 18 year old, and that's an adult in anyone's estimation. But that's me. By choosing to keep everyone together, you made a decision to not board - and that's not Carnival's fault. But it still sucks.

KC

If you truly believe you were wronged, then file a chargeback on your credit card. Carnival will likely win the chargeback. Then you file a chargeback a second time, which goes through the arbitration process. It's very rare that companies continue to fight at that point and you are likely to get your money back without anything additional. If they do continue to fight, you go through arbitration and the worst that can happen is you are out the money you were already out. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

If you end up winning, Carnival may not want you onboard ever again, though :)

My opinion, for the penny that it's worth - is that this says a lot more about Carnival simply not caring. Regardless of what rules or terms state, Carnival can certainly make exceptions "for the sake of customer satisfaction" - that's a term I got used to when working for a major tech company long ago. Carnival wins nothing and it's bad business on their part. But what can you do? I'm not sure how I'd handle it, personally.

This is my biggest issue is just have some compassion and give us a break. Especially since we have went on multiple cruises with them. I'm not saying it was in anyway shape or form Carnival's fault. It was completely on him/us for not making sure sooner he had it. But would it hurt them to be a little compassionate? At one point we were standing at the counter debating whether or not my family was going to go without him and both my kids were crying. One Carnival employee even made the comment that if somebody else was in working in customs that day that they would have probably let us on. I also don't understand why we had to wait over 3 hours just to be told no. The boyfriend had family relatively close to the port and had we been told sooner that he wouldn't be allowed on, the rest of us may have went on the cruise anyway. At least then we could have been assured that he had someone there to pick him up and he wasn't just stranded hundreds of miles from home. I guess I just feel doing a good deed here may cost them a couple grand, which is nothing to them but overall would do more good than harm. We will most likely spend more money than previously if they credit us for another cruise, would be more likely to consider future cruises with them and would pass on that they are a good company that takes care of their customers. As it stands now they will definitely not get any future business from us, not that it will hurt them at all lol.

If it were me, the bf would have gotten left (I'm just mean like that). There is no way an entire vacation would be ruined over someone being irresponsible.

Sucks this happened but Carnival isn't responsible and doesn't have to give anything back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same here. I would have said adios to the boyfriend and had a wonderful vacation

This is my biggest issue is just have some compassion and give us a break. Especially since we have went on multiple cruises with them. I'm not saying it was in anyway shape or form Carnival's fault. It was completely on him/us for not making sure sooner he had it. But would it hurt them to be a little compassionate? At one point we were standing at the counter debating whether or not my family was going to go without him and both my kids were crying. One Carnival employee even made the comment that if somebody else was in working in customs that day that they would have probably let us on. I also don't understand why we had to wait over 3 hours just to be told no. The boyfriend had family relatively close to the port and had we been told sooner that he wouldn't be allowed on, the rest of us may have went on the cruise anyway. At least then we could have been assured that he had someone there to pick him up and he wasn't just stranded hundreds of miles from home. I guess I just feel doing a good deed here may cost them a couple grand, which is nothing to them but overall would do more good than harm. We will most likely spend more money than previously if they credit us for another cruise, would be more likely to consider future cruises with them and would pass on that they are a good company that takes care of their customers. As it stands now they will definitely not get any future business from us, not that it will hurt them at all lol.

I think it's good to share these experiences, as it helps others better understand the type of company Carnival is. I'm not saying that's good or bad. I'm sailing with Carnival and likely will continue. But knowing how they handle their guests when something unfortunate happens is very good to know and will certainly stay in the back of my mind when considering booking options. Though honestly, I think all cruise lines are equally terrible when it comes to this.

The decision to bring along one of kids friends on a cruise means, they would be treated as part of the family and I would be just as responsible for them as I was for my own kids.. I could never leave them behind - I wouldn't appreciate anyone doing that to my son either..

Sorry, I agree with OP - if we were all travelling together in one vehicle, everyone would stay together - even if it meant not going.. :(

In the end we definitely learned a valuable lesson which hopefully doesn't turn out to be a costly one. Also it may have kept us from some rough seas and nasty weather as we would have most likely been in the path of tropical storm/hurricane Earl that hit Mexico last week. Maybe it was a sign from God lol.

The decision to bring along one of kids friends on a cruise means, they would be treated as part of the family and I would be just as responsible for them as I was for my own kids.. I could never leave them behind - I wouldn't appreciate anyone doing that to my son either..

Sorry, I agree with OP - if we were all travelling together in one vehicle, everyone would stay together - even if it meant not going.. :(

This is exactly what my wife said. I wasn't totally against leaving him there because he is 18, it would have taught him to be more responsible and he is dating my daughter so therefore I don't like him. :) In the end I couldn't do it though and I think my wife and daughter would have been miserable the whole week anyway so it wouldn't have been fun.