Denied boarding

Kosmo82899

We have a list that we carry in our carry on bags. The list is checked every time we leave the house, or a hotel, or a ship. It is a "Have You Got Your..." list. It includes things like medications, passports, wallets, money clips, glasses, and your rear end. After all, some people would constantly forget their rear end if it was not fastened on pretty tight.

(I am not sure how far the hotel was away from Tampa), but since the hotel found the wallet I would have at least considered having them put it in the hands of a same day courier service to have them deliver it to the port.

Somewhere here in Ga the OP stated. Even if they stayed in far south Ga, Tampa is still about 250 miles or around 3.5 hours south.

If it were me, the bf would have gotten left (I'm just mean like that). There is no way an entire vacation would be ruined over someone being irresponsible.

Sucks this happened but Carnival isn't responsible and doesn't have to give anything back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am mean like you and would have done the same thing.

On my last cruise in May, I was sailing with 4 adults (2 Newbies). We were driving to the ship and border is 2 hrs from my house. I asked everybody to show me passports BEFORE getting into the car.

They thought I was treating them like children ( all adults) but I read too many of these stories on CC.

I also told them, you don't make it through border or Ship....... you will get left behind.

No ID no Cruise.

Next time spend 2 minutes and use a checklist.

House sitter keys or arrangements

Flight boarding passes

Hotel reservation

Car rental or Parking reservation

Cruise boarding pass

Credit Cards and cash

Passport and other ID.

EVERY TIME before you get in the car on the way to

Airport

Hotel

Cruise port

Works every time.

bosco

I really dislike Carnival for so many reasons.....but this is not even a Carnival issue. The "kid" was not a "kid" but an adult, and my young adult, would have been given some instructions, and I'm sure he had family that could have taken arranged to pick him up, or arrange a hotel. Next year, they will split up, and would not even matter. :D

e

Elaine, I agree with you, an 18 year old should be able to manage travel plans, but this generation is so immature they are more like 12 year olds. Mommie needs to make the arrangements for them, otherwise, they are lost! I was in the final Vietnam draft and off I went at 19, but I had my first job caddying at 11 years old, at 16 Night Manager at Burger King, so I was plenty mature to handle Vietnam. Most 18 year olds haven't a clue what a job is because Mommie needs to find them one and then drive them back and forth.

Mommie just doesn't have the time to do that right now!

I agree. I was just wanting to point out to the readers who post arguments that 18 yr are adults and entitled to adult privileges and are posting that "who leaves an 18 yr old"...me that's who. I also was in my own apartment before graduating high school, figured out college etc etc etc

Some policies will cover lost travel documentation, some won't. This is one of the things I look for when buying a policy.

Right, the insurance I buy included loss of travel documents. This is important since passports are a prize for many thieves.

I actually know someone who used the vacation guarantee because their spouse couldn't make it and Carnival wouldn't give them credit. So he upped his reservation to a suite (so they couldn't offer him a upgrade) and got on the ship, after a few hours said he wasn't happy. First port they flew him home. Next cruise he got all sorts of freebies...hey 2 can play that game I guess. No one should say "that is terrible" because it's the RULES. If you say too bad so sad to the original poster "that is the rules" then no problem with what my friend did because he followed "the rules". He wasn't lying, he wasn't happy so off they sent him, trip home paid for also!

Would be much easier if Carnival would give at least some credit...Or even if they would split the credit and make you take 2 cruises to get your money back.

Lots of nasty people replies. Accidents happen we are all human.

I actually know someone who used the vacation guarantee because their spouse couldn't make it and Carnival wouldn't give them credit. So he upped his reservation to a suite (so they couldn't offer him a upgrade) and got on the ship, after a few hours said he wasn't happy. First port they flew him home. Next cruise he got all sorts of freebies...hey 2 can play that game I guess. No one should say "that is terrible" because it's the RULES. If you say too bad so sad to the original poster "that is the rules" then no problem with what my friend did because he followed "the rules". He wasn't lying, he wasn't happy so off they sent him, trip home paid for also!

Would be much easier if Carnival would give at least some credit...Or even if they would split the credit and make you take 2 cruises to get your money back.

I agree with you completely.

The counter argument is that accidents happen, so take some self responsibility and pay when you screw up. But it doesn't mean Carnival should just give them the cold shoulder. I think it's bad business, but they certainly have the right to do it.

The general tone from many posters on this forum when it comes to others is kind of sad, and yes, nasty.

Edited by BNBR

If your friend wanted to go through all of that to make himself feel better then sobeit. Waste of time and effort but his time. His energy.

As far as who it is "easier" on, I see no stress on Carnival now since the decision has been made. They tried for hours to help. It didn't work. Some rules can't and shouldn't be bent.

I will agree there have been alot of nasty replies but they have worked both ways. The idea that this family couldn't have come up with a better plan B than for everyone to go home has been met with name calling and attacks on people's character in general. There's nothing cruel with trying to salvage your vacation rather than pout and leave and then go on the Internet and start trashing Carnival. Mistakes happen. Don't exacerbate them when they do.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Why should they give credit when they ALL didn't cruise? They'll get taxes and port fees back as I assume they were determined as no shows, I guess. The only one who might receive some credit is the young man because he was the one denied boarding by Carnival even with the copy of his license.

Lastly, bravo for not leaving the 18 year old on his own without his wallet. That shows character.

If you read the thread you'd know the boy had local relatives he could stay with while the others went on their cruise. He would not have been left "on his own without his wallet".:cool:

At the end of the day a lesson well learned.

When we travel I make sure "everyone" has their docs... I carry all their docs (passports) and other important docs.. in a binder all in order..

Should of called the boys relative and have them pick him up before everyone decided to leave the ship on their on free will...

I would encourage the BF to pay you back for everything, he is the one who messed it up for all..

Unfortunate but Carnival shares none of the blame. Having a hard copy ID for inspection is pretty much an absolute. Even if he goes on the cruise he has nothing to present at any port or for re-entry into the country.

It is a necessary law and I am glad it is enforced.

I agree. I was just wanting to point out to the readers who post arguments that 18 yr are adults and entitled to adult privileges and are posting that "who leaves an 18 yr old"...me that's who. I also was in my own apartment before graduating high school, figured out college etc etc etc

I was also on my own at 18. I was an adult and made my decisions like an adult. I hope I have raised my kids (19 and 22) well enough that if the situation happened to them they would be mature enough to take care of themselves for the week this family was gone. 18 is an adult. They can go to war. They go off to college (many out of state away from their parents). They move away from home, some of them getting married and having kids. If the BF couldn't handle this type of situation, then his parents have failed him. Part of growing up is giving kids the independence to make smart decisions when faced with crisis like this when they become adults.

If the BF was 28 would those of you who feel he shouldn't be left behind feel the same way about leaving him behind? I would. My DD went on Spring Break with her friends at 18. If something like this would have happened I would have appreciated (as this is what I would do), but not expected, the family she went with helping her find a place to stay until she could get her license back and then I would have expected her to either stay there for the week or find another way home. Both my kids had their own credit card for emergencies once they were old enough to drive. They also have a debit card to their checking/savings account where they both have savings. My DD would have had the funds to stay there the week without them if necessary or to find her own way home once she got her ID back. If she didn't have the funds, I would expect her to call us to borrow some. Sure she may have called us to help her figure out the best plan, that would have been a wise decision on her part. But I would think the BF would have his own family or friends to do the same with him. If not then the OP could have stepped up to the plate and helped him out financially with expectation to be reimbursed by the BF. An adult would have accepted the responsibility for what had happened, asked for the help they needed from family or friends or even the OP to either find a place to stay or to get back home, so the other family could have enjoyed the rest of their vacation. Plus there were supposedly family near by. There were other options. In any case the financial burden of missing the BF's cruise is on the BF. OP choose to have his family miss and that is on him.

The OP said his ID was found, but just couldn't make it back in time for the cruise. There would have been multiple ways this could have been handled without the whole family missing the cruise but the OP chose to have his whole family miss the cruise. That is on him not Carnival.

A favorite quote of mine as I was raising my kids. "To raise a child who is comfortable enough to leave you, means you have done your job. They are not ours to keep, but to teach how to soar on their own." Author Unknown.

Edited by Warm Breezes

I haven't read the whole thread, but has anyone mentioned that it could be an issue in Mexico? And with US port authorities if they broke the rules and allowed someone to travel without the proper documentation? In the past, when reboarding in Mexico, we have been asked to show not only our sign and sail cards but also photo IDs. And, in case there is an emergency, we never go ashore without our passports.

I am sorry that this happened to you. But one thing you need to consider is he is 18, and therefore and adult. While I completely understand if you chose not to board the cruise without him, Carnival owes you nothing. You could have boarded, told him tough luck, and sent him on his way, legally. Businesses have to draw the line somewhere, and when customers make mistakes, if they can accommodate, it is nice customer service if they do. But legally, I am not even sure in these circumstances they could accommodate. And what if they had and then he was denied reboarding in Mexico...then what???

Thank you for sharing your story and for reminding everyone to double and triple check throughout their travels to the port that they have the necessary documentation.

I find it telling that the 18 yr old did not notice his wallet was missing between GA and the port.

You do? So what does it tell? Does it tell that perhaps they were sitting a car for hours with no need to use his wallet? Does it tell that perhaps anything purchased was purchased by the GFs family? Does it tell that it was an accident and fell out of his pocket? Yeah like no one here has never lost something.

I agree with you completely.

The counter argument is that accidents happen, so take some self responsibility and pay when you screw up. But it doesn't mean Carnival should just give them the cold shoulder. I think it's bad business, but they certainly have the right to do it.

The general tone from many posters on this forum when it comes to others is kind of sad, and yes, nasty.

Following Federal law is not bad business.

I haven't read the whole thread, but has anyone mentioned that it could be an issue in Mexico? And with US port authorities if they broke the rules and allowed someone to travel without the proper documentation? In the past, when reboarding in Mexico, we have been asked to show not only our sign and sail cards but also photo IDs. And, in case there is an emergency, we never go ashore without our passports.

I am sorry that this happened to you. But one thing you need to consider is he is 18, and therefore and adult. While I completely understand if you chose not to board the cruise without him, Carnival owes you nothing. You could have boarded, told him tough luck, and sent him on his way, legally. Businesses have to draw the line somewhere, and when customers make mistakes, if they can accommodate, it is nice customer service if they do. But legally, I am not even sure in these circumstances they could accommodate. And what if they had and then he was denied reboarding in Mexico...then what???

Thank you for sharing your story and for reminding everyone to double and triple check throughout their travels to the port that they have the necessary documentation.

It is US Federal law that requires cruise lines assure all boarding passengers have proper identification and must refuse boarding if proper identification is not provided.

Why should they give credit when they ALL didn't cruise? They'll get taxes and port fees back as I assume they were determined as no shows, I guess. The only one who might receive some credit is the young man because he was the one denied boarding by Carnival even with the copy of his license.[/quote

I'm saying they COULD be more accommodating when accidents happen. Their ship their rules but sure doesn't speak well for customer service when you are the one hurting.

I personally would have quickly made arrangements to get that young man home BUT when you agree to take someone elses child (yes he's someone child at 18) especially someone who may be your son in law one day with in-laws you take extra care. I believe their daughter wouldn't have wanted to go on the trip after the fiasco.

As far as my friend spending his time getting the vacation guarantee back, yep. Works from home or wherever and got all his money back for 2 cruisers including his wife that didn't show up and a free flight home. Carnival lost on that one. But their rules gotta follow them. And he did.