how long do you spend on your chair or by the pool?

luckyinpa

My wife and I are pool/beach bums, so we get chairs first thing in the morning and stay there all day. We usually claim our chairs around 9am, get breakfast and return right away. At that time, we see that people have already staked their claim to chairs with the old 1 towel across 4 chairs or 1 shoe per chair trick. They never show up until late in the afternoon.
I wish one cruise line would satisfactorily come up with a system to solve the chair hog problem. It is a problem on two of the three lines I cruise on. It is inexcusable for someone to hold a lounger for over an hour and actually, if it were my decision, I would put the time limit at 30 minutes, which is enough time to go to the restroom, get a drink, get food to bring back,etc.

When I was using the Thermal Spa Suite on my last cruise, there was a sign by the heated loungers stating that (a) you shouldn't leave items on the heated tile loungers to save them and (b) people should limit their use of the loungers to 30 minutes.

The first day I went there, half of the tile loungers were "saved" with towels and stuff but unused while the "savers" were using the other facilities in the thermal suite.

I didn't have any problem dumping towels off a heated lounger so that I could spend my 15-20 minutes of relaxation on the heated tile lounger. Nobody confronted me about stealing "their" lounger, but then again, there was a sign right overhead explaining that you couldn't save a lounger by leaving stuff on it.

Anyway, there were enough loungers for everyone if you only "saved" them with your physical body, not your stuff. There were not enough for people to "save" them for extended periods of time while they were in the sauna or salt room or steam room or hot tub.

There are a lot more regular outdoor loungers than there are heated tile loungers, but the "prime" loungers would get a lot more use if they were occupied by people and not stuff. Luckily for me, I don't like sunbathing by the pool, so I don't have to deal with the pool-area chair hogs.

a gentleman posted this pic of his recent vacation. 3rd pic down is the pool

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=50735668&postcount=41

this would appeal to me in just a few instances. if i wanted to people watch and get really close to strangers and....oh wait,i cant really think of what else :)

you def cannot be shy there if you wanna go in the pool. thats for sure. and it doesnt look much bigger than the 12x24 i had in my yard a few years ago.

BA's pools are absolutely horrible. Worst designed of any ship on any line I have ever been on. While crowded on any ship, most other pools have a much more enjoyable poll deck for sitting/lounging

The sofas are in an area just for lounging. The outside eating area for the restaurants has tables and upright chairs...not the basket chairs and low coffee tables.

Do people put towels or items down to reserve these seats throughout the day?

When I was using the Thermal Spa Suite on my last cruise, there was a sign by the heated loungers stating that (a) you shouldn't leave items on the heated tile loungers to save them and (b) people should limit their use of the loungers to 30 minutes.

The first day I went there, half of the tile loungers were "saved" with towels and stuff but unused while the "savers" were using the other facilities in the thermal suite.

I didn't have any problem dumping towels off a heated lounger so that I could spend my 15-20 minutes of relaxation on the heated tile lounger. Nobody confronted me about stealing "their" lounger, but then again, there was a sign right overhead explaining that you couldn't save a lounger by leaving stuff on it.

Anyway, there were enough loungers for everyone if you only "saved" them with your physical body, not your stuff. There were not enough for people to "save" them for extended periods of time while they were in the sauna or salt room or steam room or hot tub.

There are a lot more regular outdoor loungers than there are heated tile loungers, but the "prime" loungers would get a lot more use if they were occupied by people and not stuff. Luckily for me, I don't like sunbathing by the pool, so I don't have to deal with the pool-area chair hogs.

ditto about sunbathing. but i'm sure at some point ill want to relax a bit for the experience to say i did it. spa passes are still available for my cruise and i was leaning toward getting them for us but i'm still on the fence. ive only read about 2 people on the board saying they didnt use it and everyone else says its totally worth it. the lack of crowds and the features of the spa would be my splurge since i'm not in a haven room. :)

good to know there's a sign about not saving. maybe signs actually do work.

Generally I spend my onboard outside time stretched on a chair or sofa on the Waterfront. I have never spent a moment in or at the pool.

Now, I have spent time at SpiceH2O with no issues getting a chair.

I plan to keep this routine on the Escape in a couple of weeks.

Generally I spend my onboard outside time stretched on a chair or sofa on the Waterfront. I have never spent a moment in or at the pool.

Now, I have spent time at SpiceH2O with no issues getting a chair.

I plan to keep this routine on the Escape in a couple of weeks.

This is how we cruise as well. I have gotten in a hot tub in Spice H2O but I don't ever remember getting in a pool onboard a ship. They're barely bigger than a hot tub anyway. No thanks.