Soot on Island Princess

bigchid

We just completed a NB Alaska cruise on Island Princess in one of the new aft suites (first time in a suite). For the most part we enjoyed it, but found that we couldn't use the balcony due to the soot. I discovered it by sitting in one of the chairs and then leaving my mark on the inside furniture and carpet. Our balcony was uncovered (A729), I spoke to the people in the covered balcony below us and they didn't have the problem.

The free laundry perk took care of the dirty clothes.

For the right price I may book another suite, but it won't be an aft one.

We always book aft suites. Never had a problem, we also stay away from the ships that are noted for problems. Crown, Golden, Ruby , Emerald and any ships the same class should not have the problem. We have stayed on Emerald deck, dolphin deck, Caribe and Aloha with no soot on those ships. Afts are the best as far as we are concerned. People will tell you theres more movement , we have not found that. Quite back there also.

While some ships may be more susceptible to soot problems, I haven't read about it being an issue on the Golden. However when walking the upper decks, the starboard aft portion of Sports deck was covered with soot. So possibly the general wind direction is why some passengers have a soot problem while others do not.

The exhaust from the stacks blew over that area & it was covered with pellets of soot & I never saw anyone else using this area of soot covered loungers & deck.

Every night, the boilers onboard get their steam generating tubes cleaned of soot by blowing steam through them, and the diesels get their turbochargers cleaned by blowing ground up walnut shells through them. Both produce soot out the exhausts. Generally, the engine room will notify the bridge when this is to be done, and the bridge will change heading so that the possibility of soot on deck is minimized, but sometimes this cannot be avoided, if the ship is in a narrow passage, for instance.

When I worked the ships in Hawaii, we would be covered in "Maui snow" every week, which was fine filaments of soot from burning the cane fields, and we had to do a lot of balcony washing then.

Every night, the boilers onboard get their steam generating tubes cleaned of soot by blowing steam through them, and the diesels get their turbochargers cleaned by blowing ground up walnut shells through them. Both produce soot out the exhausts. Generally, the engine room will notify the bridge when this is to be done, and the bridge will change heading so that the possibility of soot on deck is minimized, but sometimes this cannot be avoided, if the ship is in a narrow passage, for instance.

When I worked the ships in Hawaii, we would be covered in "Maui snow" every week, which was fine filaments of soot from burning the cane fields, and we had to do a lot of balcony washing then.

As always, thanks for another informative post.

We're downwind of burning cane fields & have heard it called "Black Snow" which no longer will be an issue now that sugar cane growing is ending here on the Valley Isle.

http://www.kitv.com/story/30905681/the-end-of-the-sugar-cane-era-in-hawaii

Edited by Astro Flyer

Nothing excessive. The whiners will say they here the thrusters when docking. Sure you can it only lasts a few minutes. I have never had a bad sleep in a aft cabin. Its a moving object there will always be something if you try hard enough to hear.

Thanks for the heads up about the soot. We will be in an aft suite on an upcoming Island cruise. Did you notice any excessive vibratrion in your cabin?
Nothing I would consider excessive, if you are paying attention you can tell when they are docking, but we didn't notice much.

Nothing excessive. The whiners will say they here the thrusters when docking. Sure you can it only lasts a few minutes. I have never had a bad sleep in a aft cabin. Its a moving object there will always be something if you try hard enough to hear.

Good grief! When the ship is docking you can feel the thrusters throughout the ship.

Good grief! When the ship is docking you can feel the thrusters throughout the ship.

I'm not sure what you expect them to not use them. Its a moving object if you don't want to feel anything stay home. People that complain about anything to do with movement of the ship should be put off at the next port. I've had people say to me whats that banging you hear once in a while. I tell them its the stabilizers reaching there limit try to keep the ship smoother in what were ruff seas. They said to me why don't they just not use them the ship is rocking. If they didn't the ship would be rocking a lot more. They were going to go to guests services to see if they would turn them off at night so they could sleep. Some people just don't get it. also thought they should get a refund because of the noise and were getting other guests worked up about it.

stay home

What aft cabin were you in on the Island?

What aft cabin were you in on the Island?

If you read my post never said i was on the island. I said we don't book on ships that have the soot problem. So I would never book the Island, royal, regal. I was letting the OP know that all ships do not have a soot problem as they said they would never book aft because of it.

If you read my post never said i was on the island. I said we don't book on ships that have the soot problem. So I would never book the Island, royal, regal. I was letting the OP know that all ships do not have a soot problem as they said they would never book aft because of it.

How can you comment on something you have not experienced?

Especially calling people names.

I'm the OP, and the reason I started this thread is that I had never heard of the soot issue on the Island. As someone else said, it could be that due to tight quarters the ship couldn't maneuver to blow the stacks. Just a heads up for those considering an aft balcony and want to use it, make it a covered one.

I'm the OP, and the reason I started this thread is that I had never heard of the soot issue on the Island. As someone else said, it could be that due to tight quarters the ship couldn't maneuver to blow the stacks. Just a heads up for those considering an aft balcony and want to use it, make it a covered one.

Unless you are an early riser, and want to use the balcony first thing to watch the sunrise, just ask the cabin steward to have the deck gang come and clean the balcony if it has soot, when you are away from the cabin during the day.

Thanks for the information. We will be in B745. I like it when the ship rocks me to sleep but the few available reviews for the Islamd/B745

had mentioned excessive vibration in the aft. I am glad to know that it won't be the case.

We just completed a NB Alaska cruise on Island Princess in one of the new aft suites (first time in a suite). For the most part we enjoyed it, but found that we couldn't use the balcony due to the soot. I discovered it by sitting in one of the chairs and then leaving my mark on the inside furniture and carpet. Our balcony was uncovered (A729), I spoke to the people in the covered balcony below us and they didn't have the problem.

The free laundry perk took care of the dirty clothes.

For the right price I may book another suite, but it won't be an aft one.

Did you complain about it to Princess? I think you should be compensated for it.

Tony