Passport or PP card or Nexus on Alaska sailings?

smariner

We are sailing to Alaska (round-trip from Seattle). Which document will be the most convenient to carry for identification & customs, etc - US Passport or Passport Card or Nexus card?

Edited by smariner

We are sailing to Alaska (round-trip from Seattle). Which document will be the most convenient to carry for identification & customs, etc - US Passport or Passport Card or Nexus card?

I'm sorry for being dense, but I'm not quite sure what you're asking. Are you asking what is convenient, or what is necessary ?

A passport will cover every kind of travel/port entry. A passport card only works for land or port entry, not international air travel. I don't know much about the Nexus card, not having one. I think it's something you have to apply for in addition to your passport/passport card, isn't it? To the best of my knowledge, the Port of Seattle is not yet equipped to handle a Nexus entry point at their cruise ship terminals, but I could be wrong.

I live in Seattle, travel to Canada and Alaska, and simply use my passport. But for your cruise you could certainly use the passport card. Some people take both on their cruises.

If you want the official answers, you can find them here:

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/information/application-status.html

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/information/card.html

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/nexus

Edited by Old As Dirt Mom

Probably just your passport. If you are flying into Canada or driving across the Canadian boarder, then Nexus card. I am waiting for my appointment to finish up my Nexus application. I can't wait to be able to zip across the boarder in my car and skip the long boarder lines. Is there a place on your cruise documents to enter your Nexus trusted traveler ID #? If there is then take your Nexus card instead of passport.

Edited by shipgirl56

To answer your question about Nexus card. It is through Canada, but combines TSA pre-check, the U.S. Global Entry card and Canada's Nexus all in one.

If you don't live close to Canada, then U.S. Global Entry would be what you would want to get, because the locations for the interview are in Canada or close to the boarder. My appointment is in Seattle near the airport.

Just make sure that you could, in an emergency, fly home without any problems.
That crossed my mind too, but on a r/t Seattle the only non-US stop is Victoria, and OP could take a ferry from there to Seattle. Even if medevac'ed to Vancouver, he/she could get back to Seattle by land without a booklet passport.

That crossed my mind too, but on a r/t Seattle the only non-US stop is Victoria, and OP could take a ferry from there to Seattle. Even if medevac'ed to Vancouver, he/she could get back to Seattle by land without a booklet passport.

That is what I was concerned about. Thanks.

While it may not be required, a passport is definitely the most widely accepted travel document. Now for a US citizen, Please repeat after me. When I'm out of the US, I will have with me a Passport.....When I'm out of the US, I will have with me a Passport.....When I'm out of the US, I will have with me a Passport.....

Scott & Karen

Is there a place on your cruise documents to enter your Nexus trusted traveler ID #? If there is then take your Nexus card instead of passport.

Yes....in the "passport" section of the online checkin process, the following options are available for "document type"

1. Passport
  2. Passport Card
  3. Enhanced Driver's License
  4. Enhanced non-Driver's License
  5. Nexus Card
  6. Sentri Card
  7. Fast Card
  8. Birth Certificate

SMariner, don't leave your Nexus at home. Take it as well. In Canada Place, there's a separate embarkation line for Nexus, and you'll just breeze through.

Discovered it last time when I got priority boarding due to a temporary wheelchair, and that was the line I was whizzed through. :)

I'm still putting off getting Nexus, as my land crossings often have someone else in the car. I *really* need to step up and get it done.

Edited by fann1sh

OP, it's not clear to me whether you have all three documents and are wondering which is the best to bring with you, or if you have none of them and are wondering which one(s) to acquire. If the former, bring the passport and Nexus card, and if the latter, get a passport. I agree 100% with CaveDiving: never leave home without your passport. DW and I also carry our Nexus card for all travel, but never leave Canada without our passports too.

Any of those documents should work. I have all 3, and if that were my itinerary I would leave the passport book home, rather than risk losing it or having it stolen and carrying the passport card and NEXUS. The NEXUS is probably sufficient, but some border agents are not familiar with it (should not be a problem in Seattle or Vancouver.

The one potential is flying home. As indicated, it should not be an issue since even if you miss the ship in Vancouver or Victoria you can easily get home on a bus or ferry. The only possible problem would be if you had to be medically disembarked along the inside passage. On my recent ferry trip we disembarked a passenger in Campbell Island pretty much in the middle of nowhere. If you had a passport card there it would be complicated to get home. NEXUS is good for air travel between the US and Canada.

Roy

Info from HAL's boarding pass...

<<<

U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises: U.S. citizens on cruises in the

Western Hemisphere that originate and terminate in the same U.S.

port are not required to have a passport to sail, but will need proof of

citizenship such as a passport card or an enhanced driver’s license

(EDL). If a U.S. citizen does not have a passport, passport card or

enhanced driver’s license, they may use as proof of citizenship an

original or copy of a government issued birth certificate, or certificate

of naturalization along with a government-issued photo ID. A passport

is still the preferred document. PLEASE NOTE –WHTI-compliant

documents are acceptable for entry or re-entry into the United States.

You may be required to present additional or different travel

documents when entering foreign countries, including some countries

in the Western Hemisphere.

>>>

... NEXUS is good for air travel between the US and Canada.

Actually if they need to go from Canada to the US NEXUS only works from specific airports, and none of the unexpected ports you might get dropped off at on an Alaskan cruise are eligible - YVR is the only one on the west coast.

If OP has all 3 docs but only wants to take one, I'd take the passport book as it's the only one of the three that ALWAYS works in any circumstances. If convenience is the most important factor though, either of the cards instead as they'll both work and fit in a wallet. Unless Seattle puts in a GE line, NEXUS card won't provide any benefit over a PP card on this type of cruise.

Actually if they need to go from Canada to the US NEXUS only works from specific airports, and none of the unexpected ports you might get dropped off at on an Alaskan cruise are eligible - YVR is the only one on the west coast.

I believe that you'll find that all Canadian airports offering regularly scheduled flights to the USA process NEXUS card holders. This includes BC's Victoria International Airport (YYJ), which has had a dedicated NEXUS line since 2014. Other than Vancouver International Airport (YVR), the remaining BC airports don't offer NEXUS facilities because they are domestic airports.