shore excursion recommendations?

tinsoldier

Hi

We are looking for any recommendations for shore excursions in San Juan and St Maarten. The only P&O excursions that look interesting in San Juan is the Rainforest Drive. I am very keen to see the Planes at Maho Beach in St Maarten but there seems to only be one suitable P&O excursion which is also a boat ride. I like the idea of listening to the air traffic control broadcasts in the Sunset Beach Bar but I guess we won't get to hear that if we're on the P&O excursion?

I was wondering if anyone has been on either of these and/or can recommend any local tours.

Thanks

Brendan

Hi Brendan

Take a look at the ports section of the site and you might find more info. I did a private tour in St Maarten to Marigot, a beach and the butterfly farm but no planes!

It's a few years ago now that we did a private tour with Bernard's Tours in St Maarten. It was excellent. We were lucky to have Bernard drive us for part of the journey in an eight seater, think a Mercedes mini bus. He was a most interesting man and the tour included, beach for couple of hours, the airport beach,, market for shopping and rum punch on board. Cost, 40$ each. Hope this helps

We have also done a tour with Bernard in St Maarten. At the last minute our captain swapped the port of call, so it meant we arrived a day or two later. Bernard has a desk at the cruise terminal. We explained what had happened at the desk.

The tour for that day had already left, but we were put into a very comfortable Mercedes car to catch up with the tour at the first stop. We then transferred to a modern, air conditioned mini bus to join 5 other people on the tour.

We were impressed and would recommend them. Alternatively, if you don't want to pre book you can always find an excursion in the cruise terminal.

Its $8 to Maho beach by taxi, plenty of them available. There wasn't any air traffic control playing at Sunset Bar when we went, a large chalk board with arrival times was there along with a man with a megaphone walking up and down the beach telling you what planes were landing. I would suggest trying the bar at the other end of the beach as its half the price of Sunset bar and not as busy.

maho1.jpg

A short video taken last December at Maho

Hi

We are looking for any recommendations for shore excursions in San Juan and St Maarten. The only P&O excursions that look interesting in San Juan is the Rainforest Drive. I am very keen to see the Planes at Maho Beach in St Maarten but there seems to only be one suitable P&O excursion which is also a boat ride. I like the idea of listening to the air traffic control broadcasts in the Sunset Beach Bar but I guess we won't get to hear that if we're on the P&O excursion?

I was wondering if anyone has been on either of these and/or can recommend any local tours.

Thanks

Brendan

I would highly recommend Twin Island Tours. We did a tour with them - comfortable modern car with air con, cooler of drinks included in price, covered both sides of the island, stop off at a viewing point, an hour or so at the beach at Orient Bay, shopping/lunch stop in Marigot, then on to Maho Bay with about 1 1/2 hours to view the planes. We didn't find the Sunset Bar particularly expensive and the food was excellent.

Thanks Sharon and Supered1. I like the look of Bernards tours - think we might give that a go

We've used them twice and are brilliant. If you do book, try and go with "the Mailman" - he's brilliant. And the rum punch is deceptive :D