Gratuities

susan1957

Glassdoor.com reports the bartenders on cruise ships earn about $5' date='000 per month.

[/quote']

Have to correct this; it is an average of $3,667 per month on Glassdoor.com, not $5,000. http://screencast.com/t/2vcCJvboG

I got the $5,000 from an individual review: http://screencast.com/t/wA5SWNLl9bt

I suspect the $5,000 a month bartender was on the POA or something.

Edited by fshagan

Have to correct this; it is an average of $3,667 per month on Glassdoor.com, not $5,000. http://screencast.com/t/2vcCJvboG

I got the $5,000 from an individual review: http://screencast.com/t/wA5SWNLl9bt

I suspect the $5,000 a month bartender was on the POA or something.

That's about $900 a week, my daughter is a newly admitted lawyer, after 5 years of University study including the expenses related thereto she started on about $25 a week more than that. She frequently works 13-14 hour days including going in on weekends.

So can we now stop bleating about how underpaid and overworked crew are.

That's about $900 a week, my daughter is a newly admitted lawyer, after 5 years of University study including the expenses related thereto she started on about $25 a week more than that. She frequently works 13-14 hour days including going in on weekends.

Plus free room and board, and meals. :rolleyes:

That's about $900 a week' date=' my daughter is a newly admitted lawyer, after 5 years of University study including the expenses related thereto she started on about $25 a week more than that. She frequently works 13-14 hour days including going in on weekends.

So can we now stop bleating about how underpaid and overworked crew are.[/quote']

They do work hard, but they are also compensated well for the living standard in their home countries.

Be careful !!! Some of you are destroying the fantasy world of those who want to believe the crew members are slave labor who lead dismal lives !!!! lol

I am sure it is a fantastic, fantasy life. I wonder why you never see an American as a room steward? We have plenty of unemployed people here.

I am sure it is a fantastic, fantasy life. I wonder why you never see an American as a room steward? We have plenty of unemployed people here.

Again, I have family that worked on the ships for many years. You really are making assumptions about things without personal knowledge. If it makes you feel better to tip in cash, do it. And stop trying to shame people who don't.

And most importantly, please stop characterizing onboard crew as poor people who do these jobs because they are desperate and and oppressed. It is NOT the truth. I know FIRST HAND.

I am rolling my eyes at you nativity. Do you really believe that? :rolleyes:

Again, I have family that worked on the ships for many years. You really are making assumptions about things without personal knowledge. If it makes you feel better to tip in cash, do it. And stop trying to shame people who don't.

And most importantly, please stop characterizing onboard crew as poor people who do these jobs because they are desperate and and oppressed. It is NOT the truth. I know FIRST HAND.

Oh really old wise one then please tell us what the room stewards are paid? Not customer service, not bartenders Please tell us the monthly pay of the people who make your beds and scrub your bathroom floor on their hands and knees.:eek: Edited by Oppalopa

I hope no one ever rolls their eyes at MY nativity. I work pretty hard getting it presentable. That said, it doesn't bother me at all when someone calls it a crèche.
You are so cute. Please answer the question since you know all salaries What do the room stewards make on Carnival?:rolleyes:

Is there a DSC associated with viewing your nativity?

Bill

Well, since DSC is a non-existent thing we must assume that you mean a Service Charge for viewing my nativity. While it is imperative that everyone pay their obligations via the Service Charge, be assured that there is no Service Charge levied to view any of my Christmas Season Display. Sort of a 'CSD'. Which actually DOES exist as opposed to a mythical 'DSC'.

You are so cute. Please answer the question since you know all salaries What do the room stewards make on Carnival?:rolleyes:

:)Bless your heart. The OP's original question has been answered for days now. The thread is so far astray that keeping track has become impossible.

Room steward's pay grade has nothing to do with the topic. Room steward's pay on a Carny ship wouldn't even be involved on this particular forum.

Oh really old wise one then please tell us what the room stewards are paid? Not customer service, not bartenders Please tell us the monthly pay of the people who make your beds and scrub your bathroom floor on their hands and knees.:eek:

I posted the exact salary in this thread. (Good practice to read the entire thread before you post.) Scroll back.

But we have to pay 18% for everything and that includes poor and bad too. And what about no service, when you ask for something to be done for you on board and nothing happens. Do you expect a refund from someone who gives you no, poor or bad service?

And whose standard? In New Zealand we don't expect to give nor receive tips as we expect to pay an agreed price so that workers get a decent wage which is built into the cost of all goods and services.

I would love to see cruise prices include this figure (18%) and then the workers paid a living wage. Then tipping could be for service over and above the normal accepted service.

Tipping isn't the norm world-wide and is, to my understanding, prevalent in the US as a holdover from the day immediately following those of slavery. Those who had been enslaved previously were often not paid wages, but "tipped." I have no issue paying for good service, but prefer that I do so in paying prices that support the payment of appropriate and fair wages by the employers.

Oh really old wise one then please tell us what the room stewards are paid? Not customer service' date=' not bartenders Please tell us the monthly pay of the people who make your beds and scrub your bathroom floor on their hands and knees.:eek:[/quote']

Glassdoor.com has self-reported wages from crew members. The room stewards report about $10 to $11 per hour. The same wage is reported for cabin stewards on Carnival and RCI cruise lines.

Because NCL has so many Filipinos working for them, I researched the wages in the Philippines. The average MONTHLY wage is $279. If we use a 40 hour work week, the average monthly wage of a Filipino working as a cabin steward on an NCL ship is right at $1,734. We all know the cabin stewards work far more than 40 hours a week, but let's stick with that for a moment.

A 9 month tour on NCL gets the worker at least $15,597, more than four times the amount of someone working the full 12 months back home.

I think they earn every penny, and I'm glad to help support them and their families with my vacation dollars. I always leave the recommended tips / service charges in place because I feel that's the deal I make to cruise. This exercise isn't an excuse to skip the service charges; it is an exercise to assuage my moral dilemma. I would not knowingly support an industry that enslaves their workers. The cruise industry does not, no matter how many sensationalist news stories you see.

I'm very glad that the cruise ship workers are earning a good, living wage and able to send money home to their families.

Glassdoor.com has self-reported wages from crew members. The room stewards report about $10 to $11 per hour. The same wage is reported for cabin stewards on Carnival and RCI cruise lines.

Because NCL has so many Filipinos working for them, I researched the wages in the Philippines. The average MONTHLY wage is $279. If we use a 40 hour work week, the average monthly wage of a Filipino working as a cabin steward on an NCL ship is right at $1,734. We all know the cabin stewards work far more than 40 hours a week, but let's stick with that for a moment.

A 9 month tour on NCL gets the worker at least $15,597, more than four times the amount of someone working the full 12 months back home.

I think they earn every penny, and I'm glad to help support them and their families with my vacation dollars. I always leave the recommended tips / service charges in place because I feel that's the deal I make to cruise. This exercise isn't an excuse to skip the service charges; it is an exercise to assuage my moral dilemma. I would not knowingly support an industry that enslaves their workers. The cruise industry does not, no matter how many sensationalist news stories you see.

I'm very glad that the cruise ship workers are earning a good, living wage and able to send money home to their families.

The above is mostly correct, with one correction.

Leaving the DSC in place doesn't affect the crew at all. It's money in NCL's coffers, and it does not disappear from crew paychecks if you remove it.

Like you, I don't remove it, for similar reasons. I consider it part of the cost of the fare (which it is), so I pay it. But I don't delude myself into believing that I tipped, because I didn't.

But yeah, these jobs are highly coveted by people in third-world countries such as the Philippines, and one should not see these workers as impoverished or exploited. On the contrary, they are doing great and providing their families a better living that most others in the country.

Well, since DSC is a non-existent thing we must assume that you mean a Service Charge for viewing my nativity. While it is imperative that everyone pay their obligations via the Service Charge, be assured that there is no Service Charge levied to view any of my Christmas Season Display. Sort of a 'CSD'. Which actually DOES exist as opposed to a mythical 'DSC'.

Do they add the service charge in one lump sum at the end of the week or do they add it every day to your shipboard account?

Bill

Do they add the service charge in one lump sum at the end of the week or do they add it every day to your shipboard account?

Bill

The Discretionary Service Charge is added to your shipboard account each day. You can adjust the service charge or remove it entirely, at your discretion, by visiting Guest Services.

It's all a big shell game.

The simplest way to think about it is that NCL has already established the amount each crew member will receive in "tips", and your DSC is simply to reimburse NCL for that amount, while also giving NCL plenty on top of that to cover other operational costs.

It's a big shell game.

Best explanation I have ever read.THANK-YOU:):)