Appropriate tips for Butler and Concierge

metrygal

I did tell him no snacks and since I never used the coffee machine there was nothing to set up. It's a job that overlaps the cabin steward. Even if I did have coffee( I didn't) it's a perk of the suite that cost me double and triple of a regular cabin. People are already paying a premium for these suite perks, I can't see paying another premium.

The Butler's job overlaps the room steward? Really? This will be my first time with a Butler and I was under the impression the Butler did completely different things? Is her really cleaning my room, scrubbing the toilet and turning down my bed?

That's so unbelievable. But if everyone who says they tip this much is half true then these people earn more then most wage earners in the states AND those of us that don't use these services can feel good we don't need to supplement their salary any more, you guys do a good enough job.

Really? How much is a Butler's salary without the tips?

That's so unbelievable. But if everyone who says they tip this much is half true then these people earn more then most wage earners in the states AND those of us that don't use these services can feel good we don't need to supplement their salary any more, you guys do a good enough job.

I don't think $200 is a huge tip for a week-long cruise. But again, it's all relative to what folks' normal spending habits are. I have paid about $350 without extra tips to valet park my car each day during a week's stay at the Four Seasons in Miami. So $200 for a full week of very attentive butler service is a bargain to me.

Just because it is not what YOU would do, doesn't mean it isn't true.

I am curious as to why you pay "double/triple" to sail in suites if you are so budget-conscious and don't utilize suite perks such as butler service, in-suite espresso & meals, etc.

The Butler's job overlaps the room steward? Really? This will be my first time with a Butler and I was under the impression the Butler did completely different things? Is her really cleaning my room, scrubbing the toilet and turning down my bed?

Well, I don't know about my toilet. But yes, your butler will be the one turning down your bed in the evenings and leaving your chocolate.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I usually tip 10 pppd for the butler and 5 pppd for the concierge, as a starting point. I *may* tip the room steward extra, but I dont have an exact starting amount, as they are already included in DSC.

And I Start at exactly half of that . . . . . more if we use their services more.

When you said you did not use the Butler at all does that mean you told him not to bring afternoon snacks, and not to set up your coffee/espresso machine and keep it ready for use at all times for you?

Harriet

I would hope if someone plans on not tipping the Butler and/or Concierge, they would at least tell them upfront that they won't be tipping them, therefore they don't need their services and then that way the Butler and/or Concierge could concentrate their efforts on others who want their services.

I wonder how people tip for extra people.

In the DOS, we had 6 people. I felt like I tipped well, but $120/day for the butler, c'mon!

I tipped the butler $300 at the end of the week, concierge $125, and room steward $100 additional to DSC.

All seemed very happy and appreciative and were very attentive to us the last morning.

I just can't see tipping $20pp/pd for 1 person.

I wonder how people tip for extra people.

In the DOS, we had 6 people. I felt like I tipped well, but $120/day for the butler, c'mon!

I tipped the butler $300 at the end of the week, concierge $125, and room steward $100 additional to DSC.

All seemed very happy and appreciative and were very attentive to us the last morning.

I just can't see tipping $20pp/pd for 1 person.

Everyone should do what is comfortable for them and it shouldn't matter what others suggest or tip.

To all previous Suite cruisers out there,

We're booked on a Dawn 12 night cruise in a category SF (aft penthouse suite) and would appreciate your input on tips. I believe the butler brings a snack tray each afternoon (please correct me if that's NOT true in SF) and he delivers any room service. He also takes care of the Lavazza machine (I hope it's still there)! Since he's not part of the pre-paid gratuities, what should we tip at the end of the cruise, and in addition, should we tip $5.00 each time he delivers room service (maybe 2 - 3 breakfasts total)? We don't request special services like help unpacking, packing, or drawing baths!!

On the same note, how about the concierge if he's only used to walk you down for priority tendering?

Thanks everyone,

Nancy

We normally tip our butler and our room steward $100 each for a 7 day cruise. Like you, we don't ask our Butler for anything special but when we wanted fresh coffee in our room in the mornings, he arranged that for us and we had a couple of pots of coffee delivered every morning!

We're booked on a 9 day cruise in 2017 and we'll probably tip $120 each. We don't normally tip the concierge at the end unless they have done something extraordinary for us. We have tipped on a per service basis...$5 usually.

Again, this is just what we do.

Cheers,

Tony:)

I am curious as to why you pay "double/triple" to sail in suites if you are so budget-conscious and don't utilize suite perks such as butler service, in-suite espresso & meals, etc.

Who said I'm budget conscious? I just don't pay for services I don't want or use. I prefer suites for some perks they come with like every meal in a specialty restaurant and unlimited internet not to mention more real estate.

Who said I'm budget conscious? I just don't pay for services I don't want or use. I prefer suites for some perks they come with like every meal in a specialty restaurant and unlimited internet not to mention more real estate.

Then I would think you could afford the associated gratuities?

I might understand folks in non-suite accommodations being concerned about DSC or added gratuity costs because some people truly do bargain-shop for cruises and have tight budgets. I know i did when I was 18-23 or so and traveling with friends. We'd squeeze 4 people into an inside guarantee and count/watch every penny spent. I enjoyed all my budget cruises and don't think anything is wrong with traveling like that!

However, in my opinion, traveling in a suite is really not a time to count pennies. Why not just consider the butler gratuity a part of your cruise fare. What's $200 when you are already paying thousands? Sorry, I just don't follow the logic of nickle and dime-ing in this scenario.

PS No unlimited internet in NCL suites.

Edited by pcakes122

You don't get to eat every meal in a specialty restaurant in a suite (no such perk). And you don't get unlimited internet in a Suite (no such perk). So,,, what suite are you booked in?

Edited by BirdTravels

You don't get to eat every meal in a specialty restaurant in a suite (no such perk). And you don't get unlimited internet in a Suite (no such perk). So,,, what suite are you booked in?

Either it is the "Secret Special Suite" or he means the Haven Rest. Or the UDP that has been included with suites for the past 18 months.

But unlimited internet? Nope.

I would hope if someone plans on not tipping the Butler and/or Concierge, they would at least tell them upfront that they won't be tipping them, therefore they don't need their services and then that way the Butler and/or Concierge could concentrate their efforts on others who want their services.

Agreed. It was so sad back in the day when people at our dining tables would be "no shows" on the last night (when tips given out). I was a waitress when I was young it was a real bummer when people I worked hard for stiffed me.

To do it at the last moment after taking all their services is wrong to me.

That all came along in booking my suite and $75 Per Port for ships excursions and the unlimited alcohol beverage too. It had four perks for any suite booked on the Jewel I sailed on earlier this year.

Agreed. It was so sad back in the day when people at our dining tables would be "no shows" on the last night (when tips given out). I was a waitress when I was young it was a real bummer when people I worked hard for stiffed me.

To do it at the last moment after taking all their services is wrong to me.

I agree. If that's the way you roll, show your face at the table. Don't wussy out as a no show.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums