Cancer on a Cruise

CherryCreekFarm

For the cruise, I ended up renting a scooter. You can do that through NCL.

Happy to hear you have recovered & wishing you the best of health!

I'm not sure if NCL ever rented scooters - but I know they do not at this time. Scooters can be rented from Special Needs At Sea (they deliver to cabin and you just leave in the cabin at the end of the cruise.)

As I mentioned in my earlier post, I highly recommend to the OP that her friend rent a scooter! He doesn't HAVE to use it if he doesn't want to, but it is a great feeling to know it is there when you need it.

When you talk to NCL's Accessible Dept, also ask that the room be cleaned with clean rags and that newly cleaned drapes, spread and shower curtain be used plus cleaning. When taking chemo, your body loses white cells to help fight bacteria, so you don't want any bacteria from previous occupants of the room or a cleaning rag dragging bacteria from one room to his.

If you are going to rent a wheelchair or scooter, you need to contact http://www.specialneedsatsea.com, not NCL. I agree with another poster about the scooter--he would be in control and would not need to have anyone push him.

Hi Laura, I just sent you an email. I put the following in the subject:

Cruise Critic - Friend Cancer and I know your travel agency.

Good Luck to you all and enjoy and cherish every minute you can with your friend

First, I am so sorry about the cancer diagnosis. Cancer sucks! 😤

We cruised last November in the Garden Villa on the Star. My mom was living with stage 4 colorectal cancer at the time, and it ended up being her last vacation. Soooo glad we splurged for the GV. Mom remembered that cruise up until she passed a month ago and it was something we all are so happy we have the memories from.

My advice, no matter the budget, figure out how to book a Haven suite. By doing so, the memories will be fabulous, and like someone mentioned, you will have a butler that can really help if the person is not feeling up to the dining room, etc. There were a couple of days mom was just not feeling well, but we were able to have the meals served in the room as well as movies, etc. It really made a difference.

As a side note - there is nothing wrong with using a TA (I too know and use the one mentioned) and you usually save significant amount of money when booking through one instead of booking with NCL directly (that's where the PCCs are). So no need to worry about not having a PCC, a good agent at a travel agency will work just as good - if not better.

I consider myself an experienced cruiser and prefer using a good TA - also my agent can book me to other cruise lines so I'm not stuck with only one with the PCC. (This has proven to be very handy as we're transitioning to another cruise line.)

If you notify NCL, they may not let him on the ship. I know of one man who had a stroke and could hardly sit in his wheelchair and they would not let him board for the cruise.

Be careful who you tell! Good Luck!

If you notify NCL, they may not let him on the ship. I know of one man who had a stroke and could hardly sit in his wheelchair and they would not let him board for the cruise.

Be careful who you tell! Good Luck!

Are you saying that this man would have successfully boarded the cruise if only he had kept his big mouth shut? :confused:

Even if you don't tell the cruise line anything, if you are visibly unwell at check-in (as in: obviously undergoing chemo), they will send you to the see their doctor. You can continue to refuse to disclose at that point; I doubt that is going to get you on the ship.

You may be right, and they won't let the OP's friend cruise in his condition. I would much rather find that out now than at the cruise terminal on the morning of. Or if NCL needs to see some particular types of medical documentation to allow boarding, that's also something they need to know about and prepare in advance.

First, sorry to you and your friend. I know all too well what you are going thru

In late March of 2015 at 52 my best friend died from colon / liver cancer. In May of 2014 my wife along with his wife planned a cruise together on the Sun out of Tampa Western Caribbean for February 2015. In May he was in pretty good health considering what he was going thru. It was something he always wanted to try so come hell or high water we were going to make it work. As an added surprise I invited his brother and sister in law. They met us the night before in

Tampa and surprised Kevin at dinner.

The cruise went well, their were times it was a tough for him and the rest of us. I must say the staff was just unbelievable, we all had mini suites and the same steward. I explained the situation to him and he was more than helpful. Kevin did not want a wheel chair, I think it would have been very helpful though. We did everything excursion together, this way my wife and I could help him when needed and to try to give his wife and break. Everyone seemed to have a real good time, their were periods of time I even forgot he had cancer. Sadly 5 weeks after getting back home he passed away. Do as much as you can for your friend and document your trip in pictures. Below is a link to what I had put together.....

https://vimeo.com/120873438

Edited by Laszlo

So many bright and caring people on here have given you some really sage advice and suggestions. Kudos to you for being the kind of friend who actually does something and doesn't just say "If I can do anything let me know." I don't know if you have ever done a zip-line before and I want to pass on a little information since he is in a weakened condition. The first one I did was in the mountains of northern Thailand over a 1,000 year old rain forest. We had to walk maybe 10 minutes on a trail up a mountain to get to the first station and then up a flight of steps to begin the adventure. From there everything was downhill and we didn't have to climb any more stairs. As you land on each platform there's a guide to "catch" you and there's a fairly substantial jolt to your body which might exacerbate your friend's pain. Since my husband wasn't with me and I had told him how exhilarating and amazing zip-lining was I surprised him with a zip-line excursion in Cozumel. Totally different and not in a good way. There were, I think, only 6-7 stations and you had to climb up a flight of stairs to each station, climb down from the station where you landed and then back up another flight for each and every one - difficult stairs with no hand-railing. It was absolutely exhausting. When we finally finished the last one the guide said "Now we'll do the whole course again" and my reply was "Not me!" Several others who were probably 30 years younger than me sat it out too. I've not had zip-line experience in any of your other ports but I've had several in the mountains and one on a flat island and neither do I think someone in his condition would be able to manage. You might e-mail the tour company and describe his situation and let them tell you exactly what their zip-line involves but I can't imagine there could be one that wouldn't involve climbing for at least the first station. I really do hate to rain on his bucket list but I know he would be devastated to get there and not be able to participate. Cancer sucks! We're cruising in November to celebrate my 5 year survival from breast cancer. Woohoo! Have a wonderful celebration of life with your friend. ~ Linda ~

Edited by okeytaco