Alaska Narration from Island Princess Balcony

Marathon Woman

It's our first cruise...Alaska, June 2017, Island Princess. We have a mini suite with balcony, so I envision lounging on the balcony, sipping hot tea, wrapped in a warm blanket, watching glaciers calve. What's wrong with that picture? Just that I also want to hear the onboard naturalist describing what we're seeing (I know, we only see what's on the Port side).

So the question is: is there a way to hear the naturalist from our balcony, i.e., turning the TV to the shipboard channel?

I've not been on this particular ship, but they normally with have the narrators broadcast from the bridge and it will be on the TV station. That is how we listed from our Princess balcony.

Enjoy your cruise!

Yes, the narration will be available on the TV. The Princess Patter will tell the station. I think it was one in the low 40's. Also, at the top spots, the captain will stop the ship and rotate it 360 degrees so everyone gets a view.

It's our first cruise...Alaska, June 2017, Island Princess. We have a mini suite with balcony, so I envision lounging on the balcony, sipping hot tea, wrapped in a warm blanket, watching glaciers calve. What's wrong with that picture? Just that I also want to hear the onboard naturalist describing what we're seeing (I know, we only see what's on the Port side).

So the question is: is there a way to hear the naturalist from our balcony, i.e., turning the TV to the shipboard channel?

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Yes as stated the narration will be on the TV. The TV is about 6-8 ft from the door. You can leave the slider open and listen that way. ;)

As I recall the narration was on the channel that displayed the bridgecam view however the channel number may vary depending upon the ship. My experience has been that's the only way to clearly hear the narration while on the balcony.

As I recall the narration was on the channel that displayed the bridgecam view however the channel number may vary depending upon the ship. My experience has been that's the only way to clearly hear the narration while on the balcony.

I agree. Also, if you are in Glacier Bay, the ship will pivot, so you get to see more than just one view from one side.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if this is the area they turned into cabins on the Island, but the Island's sister ship the Coral has a secret rear viewing deck which is mostly undercover. Not sure but I think it was on Deck 8. That's not far for you to go for a quick peek and there are deck chairs back there too.

I don't know if this is the area they turned into cabins on the Island, but the Island's sister ship the Coral has a secret rear viewing deck which is mostly undercover. Not sure but I think it was on Deck 8. That's not far for you to go for a quick peek and there are deck chairs back there too.

It's on the Caribe Deck. It's not a secret anymore. :eek: I went out there everyday it was great.

Tony

The great aft viewing decks on Baja & Caribe decks were replaced by cabins on the Island & only the Coral still has them.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Yes as stated the narration will be on the TV. The TV is about 6-8 ft from the door. You can leave the slider open and listen that way. ;)

Uh Oh, The "door police" are going to come after you!

We had the front mini on the Dolphin deck (D202). There is an observation area at the front on decks 10 & 11

Hello. My friend and I will be travelling on the southbound repositioning cruise leaving Vancouver and heading through the Panama Canal to Ft. Lauderdale. Can anyone give me the names of the Captain and Hotel General Manager please? We like to provide a small token to these esteemed senior officers. Thank you. Michael. mdenton@shaw.ca