First time cruiser

rriding1

Hello everyone I am a first time cruiser and so far a bit overwhelmed with the whole process but I am very excited to give it a try. My question is what is the best time of year for a western carabean cruise? My children have given us a cruise that sails may 6th is this a good time? Why or why not please and thank you

We live in the North East so we like to cruise the Caribbean February - March to get away from the cold. I see no issues for early May just avoid September - October because of hurricanes. :)

Just to add clarity for the OP, hurricane season is from June through November, but is only the time of year when conditions are best for hurricane formation and not a certainty that there will actually be any.

That being said IMO May is fine for any Caribbean sailing, in particular if a higher concentration of children and families on board would be something you would prefer to avoid. The "peak" times of the year for that are summers and holidays. Just a thought...

Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Depends how you define best and what you are looking for. Weather in the Caribbean is very warm and sunny all year. It is hotter and more humid in the summer. Hurricanes do occur, but ships do change itineraries and I wouldn't be too concerned.

I think May is a good time. Many people avoid spring, March particularly, because of the fear of spring breakers, but never found that a problem. Holiday cruises can be more crowded. There are more kids/families in summer.

You don't mention what cruise line, but would suggest doing lots of research. Check out the board of your cruise line. Also join the meet and mingle group. Read and learn, but don't fret the horror stories or negative comments. Go with an open mind and have fun! Ask lots of questions!

Other than avoiding hurricane season, the climate in the Caribbean is pretty similar throughout the year.

The weather in Utah, on the other hand, is rather more variable ;) & you might prefer to be away when its too snowy or too hot.

Home climate is what determines when we sail the Caribbean. For us that's November / early December or after the turn of the year (conveniently that's also when prices are usually at their lowest because demand is low in the run-up to Christmas or folk have spent too much money on Christmas).

Yes, it's all a bit overwhelming for a newbie. But a great deal just falls into place when you join a cruise, and the crews and your fellow-cruisers are a helpful bunch.

So don't sweat researching what happens on the ship, for now just concentrate on stuff that you need to know in advance - figuring which ship,

what itinerary, what cabin type & how to book. And things like documentation, what money to take (that's an easy one for a Yank in the Caribbean), what to pack, etc.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

While I've been to the Carribean several times, during the "Spring", I don't recall ever having any kind of weather problems.

Anyway!, I just want to welcome you to Cruise Critic and the wonderful world of cruising, and I'm sure you'll find it addictive.

Edited by Treven

Welcome to the adventure of cruising! May is a lovely time to cruise - relatively quiet prior to the summer family vacations. The big deal is that it is VERY humid (different than our dry heat in the desert). Read about the experience and look forward to hearing that you had a great trip - you have very nice children!

Thank you all for your help. It sounds like the kids did ok with their booking this trip. It will be the first trip without any children in 22 years. We have raised 6 daughters and 1 son and we are very excited to have a little OUR time.

Thank you all for your help. It sounds like the kids did ok with their booking this trip. It will be the first trip without any children in 22 years. We have raised 6 daughters and 1 son and we are very excited to have a little OUR time.

Enjoy planning and your cruise! Come back and ask questions if you need to.

Some cruise lines move their ships out of the Caribbean to Europe and Alaska before May..end of March or April. I agree with other posters to avoid March if you aren't traveling with kids. I recommend doing some research to determine which line would be best for you based on your interests and life style..lots of partying and drinking, high energy activities, country club atmosphere, or low key with focus on relaxation. When we started cruising I found some travel books very helpful. They correctly described the different lines and the passengers who sail them.

Have a wonderful trip!

Some cruise lines move their ships out of the Caribbean to Europe and Alaska before May..end of March or April. I agree with other posters to avoid March if you aren't traveling with kids. I recommend doing some research to determine which line would be best for you based on your interests and life style..lots of partying and drinking, high energy activities, country club atmosphere, or low key with focus on relaxation. When we started cruising I found some travel books very helpful. They correctly described the different lines and the passengers who sail them.

Have a wonderful trip!

While good advice, the OP indicated the their children have already booked their cruise, so the cruise line they are sailing on is already decided and the ship will be in the Caribbean. They were concerned with the time of year chosen as being a good time to cruise the Western Caribbean. :)

Edited by leaveitallbehind