Aboard the Reflection now...

Cruiseyorkshire

In the Martini bar they ring the bell when they get a tip. On Caribbean cruises the bell rings a lot. Sadly it doesn't ring much on European cruises. Says a lot more about the 'customers' than the staff? !

All it says about the customers is that they are largely European so don't regularly tip. Caribbean cruises have far more Americans who are used to tipping therefore more tips are handed over.

Glad Sue has left the Reflection to be able to be on our Eclipse cruise in 19 days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for any post here...we are taking this ship for our 40th anniversary cruise with 14 of our closest friends and family. Because of the large number we are having to scale a lot of things back. Hoping our guests aren't feeling "bilked"

Apologies for the lack of updates, my phone clunked out during the cruise and we moved the day after we came home to a new city, so busy busy busy before I have managed to get set up on my laptop and have feet up time.

Indeed who asked about Sue, she is off to another boat. I thought she was a great cruise director (I thought she was a bit 'loud' at first but she is a genuinely funny and impressive woman to speak to) which is a shame for the Reflection I imagine. She had a deputy, a young lad from Britain (maybe he was called Liam or something?) who only started with our cruise and the two of them were a hoot, especially at the evening adult only game show events.

With regard to the drinks package that they are doing the minibar included I asked a bar tender and got a blank look- so I'm not sure on that front. Probably should have asked a higher up but that chap I asked didn't seem to know about it.

Overall we had a good cruise, but for the money I didn't think it was worth it. We filled in our dissatisfaction on the third morning when we got out guest survey and it was never followed up on. On previous cruises I have always immediately had problems rectified by airing them on here. In fact, the service we were getting at Blu was rubbish and the menu wasn't great for a few nights, lots of Squab this cruise and Veal (fine for some, a lot of people I know don't eat it). We did mention this then to the front desk staff, also on the third day when we handed our form in, turns out they never passed this on to Blu. Only on the 7th day did we actually have any contact from Blu, because I mentioned we hadn't heard anything at all. Cue grovelling from the maitre'd (which was very obviously not genuine, I'm afraid) and a bottle of wine and some chocolates left in our stateroom.

We had much better service for the last couple of nights, but it wasn't genuine. It felt forced. It seems post cruise surveys were very much in the forefront of peoples minds. Meal on last night was good for the parter- giant lamb, but the butternut/sweet potato gnocchi was gross- please avoid (its basically 8 pieces of tiny gnocchi on a bed of WARM frisse its horrendous).

There were issues with children on the cruise which totally surprised me. We went for lunch and heard several people talking about it. Basically in the middle of the night (I mean post 3am) there were groups of around 20+ teenagers round the ship, mostly hanging in the OVC. They were then running up and down, pressing all the buttons on the lift, carrying mobiles playing music in the lifts, pressing all the buttons out of the lifts so they stopped at every floor and lads opening all the doors to the women's toilets. Fair enough the parents should deal with them, but after hearing several couples complain about it I did ask the desk when we were talking to Blu, basically I said I know some ships have curfews (RC did on the one I went on in April) and they said no they didn't and basically yes they had a lot of complaints, but there was nothing they could do, even when the kids are opening loo doors with people in at 3am....

The upsale of packages stopped for us around halfway into the cruise. Another older British couple we met had mentioned they found it to be too pushy for them and had stopped going to the bar for the first couple of days because they were too much for them.

The ports were okay, Naples I would choose to go on an excursion in future (just didn't fancy it in the heat this time) and Messina was a wasted port. Kusadasi was okay, felt jumpy in ourselves but we didn't stray far away from the port at all. The people weren't really as friendly as I've previously experienced in Turkey, but then again maybe it was just me thinking that.

Overall I don't know whether it was because it was my first time not in a suite class, but I really felt X dropped the ball this time.

There was a lack of staff, a lack of friendly staff and a distinct lack of service a lot of the time. A lot of staff seemed just disinterested in their jobs and it was strange. They seemed to value little in customers or have any real care about who was on board a lot of the time. It was really sad. I thought the 'Modern Luxury' really didn't exist this time, sometimes it was too much for plates to be cleared away, the service was bad, pushy upsale of packages for dining and drinks (The female maitre'd of Blu can't call me back about my bad table but can leave me 4 messages in one afternoon about 40% off speciality dining...?) and the absolute lack of control over kids and teenagers all over the place?

For a cruise we booked a while back and paid a lot for, for two young people it just felt really really disappointing this time, and I don't think in future I'll be handing X or RCI group my money, and we'll try elsewhere. No comparison, whatsoever, to a line like Oceania, this time around. I'm so utterly disappointed by this experience I can barely express it, it just felt everything was hassle and a let down by X, and that you really are just a number and not a valued cruiser.

it's interesting how different people can have totally different experiences on the same cruise, I can never figure it out. My husband and I were also on this cruise in cabin 1601. We had a great cruise and did not experience any service issues. Of course we did notice the aggressive upselling the first couple of days but we already had the premium package and just politely declined the dining and they left us alone.

We loved our cabin attended Marino. He was very attentive and we did have the sparkling wine in our room upon arrival.

We are in blu every night except one (my birthday which we went to Murano). We ate every night at the same table and we really liked our servers, Iketut and Marina. The sommelier always filled our glasses before they were emptied and remembered our preferences night to night. Maybe sitting at the same table every night is the key.

We dont do cruise ship shows so cannot comment on that, we had good service at the bars, which frankly surprised me because I had read reviews saying bars were crowded and understaffed. I found myself rarely having to wait.

Funny you mention the kids. We totally noticed that as well. They were out of control at times. Last cruise we went on the Norwegian epic that is really a family ship and we expected it there, was surprised to see it on celebrity sailing.

Seems like others did not have the same experience we did, I can only figure that it is which staff you come across that can make or break a cruise.

Apologies for the lack of updates, my phone clunked out during the cruise and we moved the day after we came home to a new city, so busy busy busy before I have managed to get set up on my laptop and have feet up time.

Indeed who asked about Sue, she is off to another boat. I thought she was a great cruise director (I thought she was a bit 'loud' at first but she is a genuinely funny and impressive woman to speak to) which is a shame for the Reflection I imagine. She had a deputy, a young lad from Britain (maybe he was called Liam or something?) who only started with our cruise and the two of them were a hoot, especially at the evening adult only game show events.

With regard to the drinks package that they are doing the minibar included I asked a bar tender and got a blank look- so I'm not sure on that front. Probably should have asked a higher up but that chap I asked didn't seem to know about it.

Overall we had a good cruise, but for the money I didn't think it was worth it. We filled in our dissatisfaction on the third morning when we got out guest survey and it was never followed up on. On previous cruises I have always immediately had problems rectified by airing them on here. In fact, the service we were getting at Blu was rubbish and the menu wasn't great for a few nights, lots of Squab this cruise and Veal (fine for some, a lot of people I know don't eat it). We did mention this then to the front desk staff, also on the third day when we handed our form in, turns out they never passed this on to Blu. Only on the 7th day did we actually have any contact from Blu, because I mentioned we hadn't heard anything at all. Cue grovelling from the maitre'd (which was very obviously not genuine, I'm afraid) and a bottle of wine and some chocolates left in our stateroom.

We had much better service for the last couple of nights, but it wasn't genuine. It felt forced. It seems post cruise surveys were very much in the forefront of peoples minds. Meal on last night was good for the parter- giant lamb, but the butternut/sweet potato gnocchi was gross- please avoid (its basically 8 pieces of tiny gnocchi on a bed of WARM frisse its horrendous).

There were issues with children on the cruise which totally surprised me. We went for lunch and heard several people talking about it. Basically in the middle of the night (I mean post 3am) there were groups of around 20+ teenagers round the ship, mostly hanging in the OVC. They were then running up and down, pressing all the buttons on the lift, carrying mobiles playing music in the lifts, pressing all the buttons out of the lifts so they stopped at every floor and lads opening all the doors to the women's toilets. Fair enough the parents should deal with them, but after hearing several couples complain about it I did ask the desk when we were talking to Blu, basically I said I know some ships have curfews (RC did on the one I went on in April) and they said no they didn't and basically yes they had a lot of complaints, but there was nothing they could do, even when the kids are opening loo doors with people in at 3am....

The upsale of packages stopped for us around halfway into the cruise. Another older British couple we met had mentioned they found it to be too pushy for them and had stopped going to the bar for the first couple of days because they were too much for them.

The ports were okay, Naples I would choose to go on an excursion in future (just didn't fancy it in the heat this time) and Messina was a wasted port. Kusadasi was okay, felt jumpy in ourselves but we didn't stray far away from the port at all. The people weren't really as friendly as I've previously experienced in Turkey, but then again maybe it was just me thinking that.

Overall I don't know whether it was because it was my first time not in a suite class, but I really felt X dropped the ball this time.

There was a lack of staff, a lack of friendly staff and a distinct lack of service a lot of the time. A lot of staff seemed just disinterested in their jobs and it was strange. They seemed to value little in customers or have any real care about who was on board a lot of the time. It was really sad. I thought the 'Modern Luxury' really didn't exist this time, sometimes it was too much for plates to be cleared away, the service was bad, pushy upsale of packages for dining and drinks (The female maitre'd of Blu can't call me back about my bad table but can leave me 4 messages in one afternoon about 40% off speciality dining...?) and the absolute lack of control over kids and teenagers all over the place?

For a cruise we booked a while back and paid a lot for, for two young people it just felt really really disappointing this time, and I don't think in future I'll be handing X or RCI group my money, and we'll try elsewhere. No comparison, whatsoever, to a line like Oceania, this time around. I'm so utterly disappointed by this experience I can barely express it, it just felt everything was hassle and a let down by X, and that you really are just a number and not a valued cruiser.

I love children but not having them around on vacation is something I plan for. So, no vacations booked during July and August, Christmas or the March break in Canada / U.S.

it's interesting how different people can have totally different experiences on the same cruise, I can never figure it out. My husband and I were also on this cruise in cabin 1601. We had a great cruise and did not experience any service issues. Of course we did notice the aggressive upselling the first couple of days but we already had the premium package and just politely declined the dining and they left us alone.

We loved our cabin attended Marino. He was very attentive and we did have the sparkling wine in our room upon arrival.

We are in blu every night except one (my birthday which we went to Murano). We ate every night at the same table and we really liked our servers, Iketut and Marina. The sommelier always filled our glasses before they were emptied and remembered our preferences night to night. Maybe sitting at the same table every night is the key.

We dont do cruise ship shows so cannot comment on that, we had good service at the bars, which frankly surprised me because I had read reviews saying bars were crowded and understaffed. I found myself rarely having to wait.

Funny you mention the kids. We totally noticed that as well. They were out of control at times. Last cruise we went on the Norwegian epic that is really a family ship and we expected it there, was surprised to see it on celebrity sailing.

Seems like others did not have the same experience we did, I can only figure that it is which staff you come across that can make or break a cruise.

Hi,

We are on Reflection on 09/09 in 1601. How was the cabin? I believe it has a deeper balcony and would appreciate your thoughts. Did the overhang prevent you getting much sun?

Hi,

We are on Reflection on 09/09 in 1601. How was the cabin? I believe it has a deeper balcony and would appreciate your thoughts. Did the overhang prevent you getting much sun?

Cabin 1601 was a great cabin. Perfect location close to elevators. There is a deck above with cabins so u don't have a public deck over you. There is an overhang which gives you shade alot of the day, depending on sun position. It can get full sun during later afternoon depending on sailing direction. I am a sun lover and appreciated having shade due to the strong med sun. The cabin is on the hump so it is quite a bit deeper than the regular balcony.

Enjoy your cruise.

Evening all,

Thought I would share some live reports from the Reflection.

We're aboard with Captain Skylogiannis and Sue Denning as Director. Looking forward to seeing what they have in store for us this week!

Embarkation was a very quiet affair, we arrived from Rome at around 11.30 (and hour and 10 drive after a stop at the Azamara Journey to drop off some companions). Suprised how many people were not there- thought we may be cruising with a very small number for five minutes! On Aquaclass so we were straight through but the girl couldn't find our key cards- so took a bit longer.

Jumped on the ship and she's looking well. All areas were absolutely spotless- 10/10. Went up to the solarium for some quiet time- lots of children on this sailing it seems running around everywhere. Maybe just the first day of the holiday bug.

The Spa cafe was quiet too but we stupidly went to the zoo for lunch at around 2.30 after soaking in the hot tub! It seems the entire contingent of our cruise had joined us there... Lesson learned for future!

Our AQ cabin, 1605, has an extra deep balcony so it's good. The toiletries smell a bit odd this time- very cucumber- so getting a wash is a bit like making a salad. No sparkling wine in stateroom either- have X stopped this?

One thing bothering us is the persistence of pushing beverage packages and the specialities on board. I've never been on a cruise where they've been pushed so hard even though I usually class the first day as the hard sell day. We have a classic package (don't drink much!) but I usually always have the highest package maybe this is why I haven't noticed this, but we haven't yet given our card to someone without them telling us to upgrade and really going for it. Even a waiter from Blu was pushing the specialities on us when we have booked for Blu, and I said I think the menu with the fillet mignon is just fantastic for me tonight, and he turned his nose up and curled his lip? I'm so suprised by this and more than a little uncomfortable at how hard they are going at it.

To be honest I'm not sure if it's because we are a young couple but it seems that everyone we try and politely decline is very angry at us for not upgrading or buying speciality! (We paid an arm and a leg already, thanks X!)

Every line pushes the booze because that is where they make big $$$$$.

We were on the same cruise as well- with a teen!! Our daughter had a curfew as did all the ones she hung out with. She was also warned that if she got into any trouble or caused any problems then she would lose the bit of freedom she had. She did tell us about some of the other teens exploits and I know from overhearing some conversations that some were going back to the cabins extremely late and the parents had no urea what time they got in. One dad said he went looking for his daughter at 1.45am

There was a push for the packages and the speciality restaurants. We were in a concierge cabin and we got messages on our phone offering deals at the restaurants as well as being asked in the cafe and around the ship.

We felt the food in the buffet was not as good as last year. The mast grill was good and the MDR was petty good - less selection than last year and a few times we chose to eat in the buffet as nothing appealed on the menu. Especially the deserts - I think I had sorbet most of the time. We were select and it wasn't easy to get the same area each time unless you went early. When we did we had good service but the other times it was very hit and miss. We also had some people asking to change to select as they didn't want to stay in traditional dining due to the service they were receiving.

Our steward looked after us very well - even if our canapés very normally delivered about an hour before we had asked for them. Seemed to be a case of whenever they had time to deliver them.

Service in the bars to us seemed a bit hit and miss - could be quite a wait on times not helped by some people pushing in.

We enjoyed most of the evening shows particularly the guest entertainers. Didn't see a lot of the others as we off early at ports and tended to keep quite early hours.

We went off at all the ports with the exception of Kusadasi. Purely because we weren't going to Epheusus and didn't want to go round the Bazaars. We were told by a few people that they were hassled a lot by the stall holders and that it wasn't that cheap. Not surprising as less ships were calling there so they were trying to get any business they could.

We did our own thing at the ports and I would recommend setting off early if you want to avoid the crowds. We were leaving the Acropolis as it was starting to get heaving. So managed to get photos without mass crowds in - and could read all the info. The same in Santorini- we were on the first ferry to Oia and got to see it with ease before the tour groups arrived.

We did enjoy the cruise but it wouldn't make us naturally use Celebrity as our first choice all the time. Whereas last year we came off thinking we would stick to Celebrity in the future. Now if would be a case of the best itinerary and the cost ( and what is included) )

Petstoregirl: Just wondering what you did at your ports. Ours are a little different next year but trying to get ideas what to do. Thank you!

We try to do as much on our own as possible because we like to do things on our own schedule. We did only 2 ships tours, one for Taomina and one in Santorini to get an early tender. We like to get off at the earliest possible time in order to see things before the large crowds arrive, and before the scorching heat hits. I am not a big shopper so I don't care if the shops are open or not when we arrive. We usually see the town, have lunch on shore, finish with the sites then head back to ship.

We met a friend who has a place in Athens who toured us around but we may have taken some kind of tour there if we were not meeting her, so much history to be given from tour guides.

Ships tours are expenive so if you don't like the price join your roll call to do private tours with others on your sailing.

Cabin 1601 was a great cabin. Perfect location close to elevators. There is a deck above with cabins so u don't have a public deck over you. There is an overhang which gives you shade alot of the day, depending on sun position. It can get full sun during later afternoon depending on sailing direction. I am a sun lover and appreciated having shade due to the strong med sun. The cabin is on the hump so it is quite a bit deeper than the regular balcony.

Enjoy your cruise.

Thanks! Appreciate your feedback.

Hi, just Watch à video on you tube..and the man said: if you have the premium alcool package...the bar in tour room is Also included. in the package...is it true?

Ty for yor answers.

Short answer - No.

Only gets included if you have certain Suites.

Short answer - No.

Long Answer - maybe :D

Reports that on a recent Eclipse cruise that an announcement was made towards the end of the cruise that the minibar was free to those who purchased a Premium package.

Short answer - No.

Even in suites it is not included. In RS etc you get two bottles + mixers and beer - no wine. I just tell them to take away why I need to pay for. Don't know what they are thinking of. If you have the package you can drink anywhere free. Why not in the room.

Long Answer - maybe :D

Reports that on a recent Eclipse cruise that an announcement was made towards the end of the cruise that the minibar was free to those who purchased a Premium package.

Hi, I posted that original info re. mini bar included. It was early on in the cruise that the announcement was made (via tv messages). Never had it before but was great to try the weird and wonderful things in the minibar :) The red wine was v v good :)

On the reflection next summer - looking forward to those warm nights on the balcony 😉

Hi, I posted that original info re. mini bar included. It was early on in the cruise that the announcement was made (via tv messages). Never had it before but was great to try the weird and wonderful things in the minibar :) The red wine was v v good :)

On the reflection next summer - looking forward to those warm nights on the balcony 😉

We'll be on Réflection april 8 ....215 days yes . Can't wait to open that little bottle of champagne on the balcony

Ty for the answer.

Hi Bremenkat;

You mentioned you did a ferry to Oia whilst on Santorini. I was under the impression from what I have read that the ferry didn't exist anymore or was a bit hit and miss. Can you fill me in on your ferry trip - travelling mid October 16. Cheers Grant

Edited by Sharky61

Hi Bremenkat;

You mentioned you did a ferry to Oia whilst on Santorini. I was under the impression from what I have read that the ferry didn't exist anymore or was a bit hit and miss. Can you fill me in on your ferry trip - travelling mid October 16. Cheers Grant

Hi Grant. I think the ferry only runs for certain months of the year. We got off the ship around 7.30am and the ferries are near the access to the cable car/path so you will know straight away if they are running. They were outside encouraging us to buy tickets.

We did have to wait until they had sold quite a few tickets. So may have sat waiting for around 20mins,

You had a choice I'd just paying for the ferry/ bus which was 15 euros or for an extra 5 you can prepay the cable car (doesn't entitle you to jump the queue).

Once you get off the ferry there is a bus waiting to take you up into Oia (you do have to walk up a pretty steep shot incline first). When they drop you off they tell you where to catch the bus to Fira, they will have the times of the buses in the window of the bus that takes up into town,

One thing though they won't allow anyone to stand on the buses so it is worth getting there early. Quite a few people in our queue couldn't get on so would either have to wait another hour for the bus or pay out for the public bus or try and get a taxi.

It was a lovely way to travel to the town and took around 15-20 mins.

We board as you depart,

Last year on Equinox, we were only asked to upgrade drinks, the first evening.

I'm also from UK and wait my turn as well. I get grumpy when other nationalities consider it their duty to push in.

If you read other threads about tipping , you will find that their are many passengers, who bung the bar staff a bribe, oops a tip to make sure they get great service

This has always been the way at every all inclusive resort/cruise I have been to. Find your favorite bar and bar tender. Drop him a 50 and say take care of us. Usually works every time. I can approach the bar and get served first. I also usually give the bar tender a 20-50 at the end depending how well I was treated. In the world of low pay and tips, money= best service.

Hi, just Watch à video on you tube..and the man said: if you have the premium alcool package...the bar in tour room is Also included. in the package...is it true?

Ty for yor answers.

I have seen that video as well. I believe it is quite an old video and correct me if I am wrong, I think the premium package used to include the mini bar in all room types.

Even in suites it is not included. In RS etc you get two bottles + mixers and beer - no wine. I just tell them to take away why I need to pay for. Don't know what they are thinking of. If you have the package you can drink anywhere free. Why not in the room.

Certainly fairly common at Hotels in our experience to charge for the minibar even if you get a free bar elsewhere - we stayed at a hotel in Singapore that offered complimentary Single Malts, Veuve Clicquot, XO Brandy, decent wines etc in the lobby from 7 in the morning until 10pm at night -yet the mini bar was premium brands, large bottles with full 5 star Singapore prices with the usual Minibar hefty mark up - i.e. truly eye watering prices.

I suspect had the mini bar been free a lot of guests would be emptying it twice a day :-)

Usually free mini bars in hotels seem to have a fairly small selection of run of the mill brands with slow replenishment

Certainly fairly common at Hotels in our experience to charge for the minibar even if you get a free bar elsewhere - we stayed at a hotel in Singapore that offered complimentary Single Malts, Veuve Clicquot, XO Brandy, decent wines etc in the lobby from 7 in the morning until 10pm at night -yet the mini bar was premium brands, large bottles with full 5 star Singapore prices with the usual Minibar hefty mark up - i.e. truly eye watering prices.

I suspect had the mini bar been free a lot of guests would be emptying it twice a day :-)

Usually free mini bars in hotels seem to have a fairly small selection of run of the mill brands with slow replenishment

I know all that but if you have a premium bev package, why not include the mini bar. You have effectively unlimited alcohol and every thing in the mini bar is in the package. Why should it not be included.

We are in a RS in a few weeks. We get the premium package, plus the bottles of drinks in the room but can't touch the mini bar.

I would just like to say that there is a fairly low limit as to what I am able to consume so there is no way we would empty a mini bar. We don't even get close to finishing what is in the bottles in the room. I know every one is different and there may be an element id about every but they still have the beverage pack that they could drink as much as they like in a bar.

It has not been very well thought out, in my opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk