Some thoughts on Escape Haven and kids

chloemonkey

EXACTLY! This topic comes up way too often, and unfortunately exposes a certain level of snobbery. I have no doubt that there are the occasional ill-behaving kids, but I also bet that many of these accounts are exaggerated. There are so many adults out there who either never had kids or forget what their own kids were truly like, so they set unreasonable standards.

We experienced a woman like this in the Haven pool on the Getaway in May. Clearly, she didn't understand that the Haven is not adults only, and that the largest pool on the ship is adults only. She had the gall to complain because my 7 year old splashed her when he slid off the edge into the pool. I promptly told here where to go. Thankfully she left.

I never had kids. But I am a Super-Aunt. So please do not lump us all together. I really enjoy seeing kids enjoy themselves.

Perhaps your co-havenite in May was galling, but your little one did splash her, so perhaps an apology rather than "telling her where to go" was in order. My father has been gone 16 years but I can still hear his sweet voice saying "kill em with kindness".

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Such a shame. We had one horrible experience on a Celebrity Christmas/New Year cruise. The kids took over elevators and used them to play games. A couple elevators were broken (staff told us they suspected the children broke them). One day they decided to run their ice cream cones on all the hand railings in the stairs. They jumped on chairs and would jump on to the theatre floor. Complete disaster. Guess what? We stopped sailing during times we thought there would be lots of kids. We are fortunate to be able to do longer sailings and to be able to cruise when children are in school.

I promise not all kids are like this..... I will ground my kids for a year if they did this.... I think some people need to be spade and neutered. Bad parents are to blame...

Well, all I'll say is this: if my kids are in the Haven, so am I, and I have NO problem at all correcting my kids or other children in the Haven who are not behaving well. Though I will also say that on our last Spring Break cruise, I only had to speak to other kids once.

Oh, the only exception I think people would have for my kids is that they wear goggles in the pool because the chlorine/salt water hurts their eyes. Not snorkels. Just goggles. Heck, I wear goggles too, because I use contacts and am blind as a bat without them.

Why would anyone have a problem with kids swimming with goggles? Now throwing a ball at adults is just straight up wrong.

EXACTLY! This topic comes up way too often, and unfortunately exposes a certain level of snobbery. I have no doubt that there are the occasional ill-behaving kids, but I also bet that many of these accounts are exaggerated. There are so many adults out there who either never had kids or forget what their own kids were truly like, so they set unreasonable standards.

We experienced a woman like this in the Haven pool on the Getaway in May. Clearly, she didn't understand that the Haven is not adults only, and that the largest pool on the ship is adults only. She had the gall to complain because my 7 year old splashed her when he slid off the edge into the pool. I promptly told here where to go. Thankfully she left.

I notice you carefully used the word "slid" rather than "jumped" but he still splashed someone who might not have wanted to be wet. So you to her to go to ... ?

Why go at this time of the year.

So people can't go because certain times of year are "kids run screaming in the hall at 3:00 AM" time?

Sorry, anyone allowing their kids to be out unsupervised at 3:00 AM in the morning with all the drunks and strangers is just plain crazy. I won't be allowing my 16 year old daughter out at 3:00 AM unsupervised. Nor would I ever allow her out at 3:00 AM back home.

We cruise with our kids and, while they are pretty well behaved, they are still kids. And I know many fellow cruisers don't care for their loud laughing during meals or other playing around moments. I totally get it. Other people's kids can get under my skin.

To address this, I think NCL should create an adult only haven area, with small suites. The family haven and the adult haven would be like beaches and sandals resorts. Pick the appropriate one.

Why would anyone have a problem with kids swimming with goggles? Now throwing a ball at adults is just straight up wrong.

To be honest, I don't really know. All I know is that wearing goggles in the pool has been included several times when people list sins that kids commit in the Haven.

To be honest, I don't really know. All I know is that wearing goggles in the pool has been included several times when people list sins that kids commit in the Haven.

I think it was actually goggles in the hottub, going under the water in there and attempting to "swim" in the hottub.

Edited by tgirl25

We cruise with our kids and, while they are pretty well behaved, they are still kids. And I know many fellow cruisers don't care for their loud laughing during meals or other playing around moments. I totally get it. Other people's kids can get under my skin.

To address this, I think NCL should create an adult only haven area, with small suites. The family haven and the adult haven would be like beaches and sandals resorts. Pick the appropriate one.

I'd pay for this.

Sadly, the small percentage of misbehaving children cast a shadow on ALL children in the Haven.

If 1 or 2 children misbehave in the Haven, people will claim that children shouldn't be allowed in the Haven.

If 1 or 2 fifty year-olds misbehave in the Haven, nobody will claim that empty-nesters shouldn't be allowed in the Haven.

Is there really 50 year olds throwing balls at adults and running and screaming? Wow, that Haven sounds like quite a place. I had read about kids throwing up in the hot tubs, dumping orange juice in them and trying to jump from upper deck into the Haven pool.

If thinking kids purposely running ice cream cones on all the handrails is horrible (and believing that those kids parents should be forced to clean it up) makes me a snob, I guess I am a snob.

I do not want a "small suite".

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Is there really 50 year olds throwing balls at adults and running and screaming? Wow, that Haven sounds like quite a place. I had read about kids throwing up in the hot tubs, dumping orange juice in them and trying to jump from upper deck into the Haven pool.

You didn't understand my point. There are many different ways that the Haven experience can be ruined by guests no matter what the age group.

The examples that you gave were committed by children. Other examples such as those committed by intoxicated or obnoxious guests would be committed by adults.

It is the inappropriate behavior by guests that is the problem which isn't limited to an age group.

Why do people seem to interpret "Family" as automatically meaning adults with young people? Those family suites are often used for parents with adult children, adults with grandparents and adults with adult friends. 2-bed suites are extremely rare across all other cruise lines and if you are a couple and want to cruise with odd numbers of other adults who want to combine being with you and still have their own space, any other cruise line is not a reasonable option, be they more or less expensive.

Take the people who have adult children who are handicapped in some way, the NCL 2-bed suite is virtually their only option. There are lots of other categories of people who book the 2-bed suites who do not have young persons with them, so just saying they should go elsewhere is close to insulting.

Finally, let's get away from the idea that NCL market the Haven as being for families with young people - they do not. All of the NCL advertising, quite rightly, pushes the bright and interesting things that are elsewhere on the ship that interest and occupy young people, it never mentions the Haven.

The marketing for the Haven always points to adult people who want a haven away from the hustle and bustle of some parts of the ship, hence the name in the first place. The only mention of "families" in the Haven area is in the name of the 2-bed family suites.

I may not have a perfect memory these days, but I have enough to know that when I was young, I would have been bored to death if I had been forced to have my holiday in somewhere like the Haven. Maybe the new generation of youngsters is not that different, so in the absence of something exciting, they make their own excitement. Annoying adults has always been a massive attraction for youngsters.......

You didn't understand my point. There are many different ways that the Haven experience can be ruined by guests no matter what the age group.

The examples that you gave were committed by children. Other examples such as those committed by intoxicated or obnoxious guests would be committed by adults.

It is the inappropriate behavior by guests that is the problem which isn't limited to an age group.

And, therefore, if ANYONE is exhibiting inappropriate behavior...CALL.SECURITY.

This is the second thread about the noisy atmosphere in the Haven in a few weeks. I think NCL should change the name. If I booked into a place called the Haven I would expect a quiet, serene retreat. Maybe it should be called The Romper Room or as someone suggested The Rumpus Room. Or The Free for All.

This is the second thread about the noisy atmosphere in the Haven in a few weeks. I think NCL should change the name. If I booked into a place called the Haven I would expect a quiet, serene retreat. Maybe it should be called The Romper Room or as someone suggested The Rumpus Room. Or The Free for All.

The problems in the Haven are the minority. The majority of experiences in the Haven are positive. That's one reason why Haven guests continue to book the Haven. Some past Haven guests will only book the Haven.

A thread that addresses problems will attract examples of problems. It doesn't represent the typical Haven experience.

Edited by Two Wheels Only

The problems in the Haven are the minority. The majority of experiences in the Haven are positive. That's one reason why Haven guests continue to book the Haven. Some past Haven guests will only book the Haven.

A thread that addresses problems will attract examples of problems. It doesn't represent the typical Haven experience.

Good to hear! These threads have left me with the impression this is the norm

My sister and I just got off the NCL Escape after booking a last minute Upsell to the Haven! We cruised with my three year old daughter. The Haven was wonderful! After reading this thread I was nervous about booking the Haven but it was great!! There was a mixture of families traveling with small and school aged children, couples and senior citizens. We didn't experience any of the outrageous behavior mentioned in earlier posts.

Edited by PrincessEsq
Title change

Good to hear! These threads have left me with the impression this is the norm

In our experience they are most certainly not the norm.

We have had wonderful experiences in the Haven, both when there have been youngsters and not.

The problems seem to be particularly prevalent on the two mega-ships with a roof over the Haven courtyard, Breakaway and Escape. When the roof is closed, the acoustics and atmosphere change dramatically. When closed, the noise is amplified and it turns an open space into a large room - maybe that affects behavior?

• 11 months later...

If you are booked into Haven you shouldn't have to purchase spots at Vibe to escape from the Haven. NCL employees should have a monitor in the courtyard and if there is running (not allowed in pool area) and screaming, hello haven courtyard is inside so yes I do expect inside voices, the children should be asked where there parents are and those parents should have to come and speak with their children about the behavior. It is not up to NCL or other guests to police someone's children, THAT IS WHY THERE ARE CHILDREN'S CLUBS ON THE BOAT

!