Disneyland ::. Thoughts?

Of course my family has been to Disney World several times... Is Disneyland worth checking off our bucket list? We have 3.5 days on the front side of our cruise. Thank you in advance. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Parents have always remarked that their kids <10 yrs have more fun at the motel pool than they do inside Disneyland park. They go into overload after a veey few hours. Yours are so little that you might want to look into something a little tamer and less exoensive. Knott's Berry Farm is just about eight for little ones like your two. Skip Hollywood altogether. For the movie studio experience try Universal Studios tour. Get away from LAX as quickly as you can. You have an entire coastline to choose from where you'll find nice, kid friendly beaches. They may be just as happy paddling around in the water, building sand castles, dripping ice cream cones, riding a pedi-bike along the boardwalk, etc. all of that is a fraction of the fortune you'd spend at one of the theme parks.

Parents have always remarked that their kids <10 yrs have more fun at the motel pool than they do inside Disneyland park.

Which parents have always said that? I've taken my kids since they were infants and now their kids too and that has never been the case. We could barely drag the kids out of the park when it closed at midnight.

Yours are so little that you might want to look into something a little tamer and less exoensive. Knott's Berry Farm is just about eight for little ones like your two. Skip Hollywood altogether. For the movie studio experience try Universal Studios tour. Get away from LAX as quickly as you can. You have an entire coastline to choose from where you'll find nice, kid friendly beaches. They may be just as happy paddling around in the water, building sand castles, dripping ice cream cones, riding a pedi-bike along the boardwalk, etc. all of that is a fraction of the fortune you'd spend at one of the theme parks.

Strange, strange advice to me.

No. Don't skip Hollywood, but it won't take as long as you think it might.

It is news to me that Knott's is considered a "tamer" park since most people I know think Knott's is the place to go in OC for roller coasters.

As far as a bus in Hollywood I would reconsider, just this week they had several that were shut down to to major safety issues. I agree with the Universal Studios Tour, but you have one of those in Florida, and one of the Disney world Parks have a movie theme, if I remember correctly. Just eating at the Universal Studios City Walk area, with interesting shops and the Hollywood theme would be fun for all of you. You could easily combine that with a drive through Hollywood and Beverly Hills.

The stars do not really live in the places the tours tell you, and I would not feel safe walking around Hollywood with children.

Go during the day to Hollywood. Be aware of your surroundings. A 'favorite thing' to do is to grab a purse and run into the Metro underground.

Why stay near the airport? There's nothing around there at all. Lots of construction going on with the extension of the Metro line. At least the strip clubs aren't advertising anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Are you sailing Carnival out of Long Beach?

Stay near there. One day Disney, the second day Aquarium of the Pacific.

Check out the Renaissance, Maya, Hotel Current or either Hyatt. All are on the free Passport bus route.

http://www.aquariumofpacific.org

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

One long day would do it, especially with a 3 & 8 :)

As with WDW you'll need to prioritize which ride to go on first and strategize on using the Fast Pass.

Unless you have an early bird ticket (1 hr before the official opening) any rides related to Star Wars is at least 30 minutes. By mid-morning Hyperspace (Space) Mountain was over 60 and never below that until the Fireworks.

The "Finding Nemo" submarine ride was 30 minutes at opening and 70+ later. It used to be a walk up ride until "Finding Dory" came out.

Trivia: Mr. D had an apartment on the second floor of the Disneyland Fire Station and from there he would watch people from all over come in. There's a "forever" candle in the window.

With a 3 YO and an 8 YO depending on how tall they are you aren't going to be riding a ton of rides. Space Mountain, Matterhorn, Star Tours are all out. Obviously if one can't go you aren't leaving the 3 YO alone.

That's why Disney California might be better. It has an entire section for little people. Bumper cars, Bug's Life even a mini water area. It also has Little Mermaid, Cars Land, Goofys Sky School Ferris Wheel etc. As far as I'm concerned you will find tons of things to do is this park for little ones. Go to Disneyland but if you can afford the park hopper go there.

Also, if you want a place to chill for lunch we always go to the pool restaurant at the hotel. It is not as busy so you aren't feeling pressured to eat and leave. Air conditioned or outside. Parks are the same as far as the price of food. If you want a fun but expensive lunch there is always Ariels Grotto. Best to make a reservation for that. Princey but the personal visits from the Princesses makes it fun.

When you enter Disneyland go immediately to the big rides that you want. You can get them done if you are there right when they open and move quickly.

Don't forget the fireworks at night too.

...At least the strip clubs aren't advertising anymore.

Bummer. I always got a little chuckle when I got off the 405 at Century and drove past the "Nude Bowling" place. The place probably got a lot of business from the large office building across the street at lunch time!!

Thank you all so much for the replies !!!

I'm going back thru each of them, but as far as hotel, I'm screwed because I did Priceline name your own price so I'm stuck there. We don't mind the driving and didn't want to spend a fortune on the hotel since we are cruising and trying to do other things as well.

As far as a bus in Hollywood I would reconsider, just this week they had several that were shut down to to major safety issues. I agree with the Universal Studios Tour, but you have one of those in Florida, and one of the Disney world Parks have a movie theme, if I remember correctly. Just eating at the Universal Studios City Walk area, with interesting shops and the Hollywood theme would be fun for all of you. You could easily combine that with a drive through Hollywood and Beverly Hills.

The stars do not really live in the places the tours tell you, and I would not feel safe walking around Hollywood with children.

Just the buses or any tour guide company ?? Did you mean a company in particular ?

I'm going back thru each of them, but as far as hotel, I'm screwed because I did Priceline name your own price so I'm stuck there. We don't mind the driving and didn't want to spend a fortune on the hotel since we are cruising and trying to do other things as well.

Don't worry too much about the hotel. I've stayed at the LAX Renaissance many times prior to flying out of LAX in the morning. The area is slightly marginalized, but as long as you are not walking around outside after dark, you will be fine. Just pay attention and take the same amount of care you would in any large city.

My recommendation is to consider getting valet parking and fill up your car either during the day or outside of the area. The only times I've had trouble is when filling up my car after dark. Once it was an older man with a "story" (annoying) and once it was a drug addict/panhandler (unnerving and slightly scary).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Disneyland is much more compact than Disney World. One day is more than enough. It's a world-renown park, so yes, it is always crowded. As to how to get between DL and CA: they are adjacent. CA isn't all that big. But, ticket-wise, I can't help as I have a friend who works for ABC so we get employee all-access passes...

I wanted to talk about you spending a day in Hollywood. Not worth blowing a day there, honestly. You can easily combine Hollywood with Santa Monica. What do you want to see in Hollywood? Maybe I'm over LA, but Hollywood never had any interest other than going to Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles for dinner...Hollywood isn't the glamorous movie and TV area. It's tried to update itself several times, but I don't see the attraction. How one website describes the Hollywood Walk of Fame: "If you can stomach the suspect superheroes, claustrophobia-inducing crowds and never-ending line of gift shops, tattoo parlors and lingerie stores, there’s actually a lot of old Hollywood history and glamour to discover along the Walk of Fame." Sure, you can see some the stars in the pavement, but with the crowds, I don't think you can linger without being run over/bumped into. Not sure I'd want to take young kids there :eek:

I live in Los Angeles and I agree Hollywood is not worth spending the day there. The traffic is horrible and there really isn't much to see or do for that matter. The SM pier has a small theme park for kids. There is no admission price, you purchase tickets for the rides your desire to go on. There are several restaurants/ice cream shops on the pier as well. Not sure if you are planning to swim at the beach; the water will be very cold. There is also a neat out door mall in SM called the 3rd Street Promenade it in walking distance from the Pier/beach.

DL is not as crowded as WDW but you can still expect large crowds. Since you have visited to WDW perhaps you can check out CA. IMO park hoppers are not worth it as due to the crowds and time you spend in each line, you really won't have much time in each park.

IMO park hoppers are not worth it as due to the crowds and time you spend in each line, you really won't have much time in each park.

For a an adult going for one day, I agree. But she is traveling with a small child. Not knowing the height of the child or their anxiety level it makes it hard to answer. Remember there are very few rides that the kid can go on at Disneyland because they are just too short. Others because they are too scared. Except for Toon Town there is not a lot of things to do. Small World, Jungle cruise and a few rides where the castle is. The park is designed for older more adventurer people.

DCA however is has a lot of stuff for little ones to do. It has an area that is sized down for them. It has a lot of Disney show themes like Monsters, Cars, Little Mermaid, Goofy Fly School. Of course there is also lunch with Ariel too. Even a live theater show for Frozen.

Hmmm some misleading/wrong information here.

The tour companies that had "safety" issues were not the major companies like Starline, nor was it Starline that had issues showing the wrong houses.

The Universal Studios in Hollywood is a real, working studio still. The parks in FL are just theme parks. There is not a studio tour in FL because there is no studio.

Hollywood is fine. I have no problem walking around the area and neither do tens of thousands of tourists every year.

LAX is just a really bad place to base yourself, but if you can't change.... oh well. Hollywood would have been cheaper and more convenient. Head to Manhattan Beach for the nearest decent restaurants, maybe Marina del Rey and Santa Monica.

Just the buses or any tour guide company ?? Did you mean a company in particular ?

Starline and A Day in LA (Rasta Bus) are two very good reputable companies.

https://www.starlinetours.com/

http://www.adayinlatours.com/

For a an adult going for one day, I agree. But she is traveling with a small child. Not knowing the height of the child or their anxiety level it makes it hard to answer. Remember there are very few rides that the kid can go on at Disneyland because they are just too short. Others because they are too scared. Except for Toon Town there is not a lot of things to do. Small World, Jungle cruise and a few rides where the castle is. The park is designed for older more adventurer people.

DCA however is has a lot of stuff for little ones to do. It has an area that is sized down for them. It has a lot of Disney show themes like Monsters, Cars, Little Mermaid, Goofy Fly School. Of course there is also lunch with Ariel too. Even a live theater show for Frozen.

I think that is bad information. Disneyland has a ton of things for little kids. Here is the table of height requirements. The park is NOT designed for "for older more adventurer people". It was specifically designed for families with all ages to enjoy rides and attractions together.

http://www.heightrequirements.com/rides/disneyland/disneyland_park

I think that is bad information. Disneyland has a ton of things for little kids. Here is the table of height requirements. The park is NOT designed for "for older more adventurer people". It was specifically designed for families with all ages to enjoy rides and attractions together.

http://www.heightrequirements.com/rides/disneyland/disneyland_park

I don't need to read the height requirements nor did I say if was for older more adventurer people. Not even sure what that means. What I DID say is that I think if the child is small (and let's face it we have no idea if the kid is 2 feet or 6 feet) then there is more to offer a young child at the other park.

I speak from experience. Since my grandson has been born 11 years ago, according to my profile from Disney, I have been there over 560 times. We go there a lot. My DD got married there. My DSIL has a part time job there. My DD has a time share there. We have befriended many cast members. IMO seeing Bug's Land, Cars Land, Monsters Inc and Little Mermaid but be more fun for a kid who has seen all these movies.

Disneyland does have a lot for kids but I still say that after Disneyland you should head over to Disney California Adventure. I also still say the height of the child makes a huge difference in how their day will go and since we don't know..... Showing a height requirement is nothing if the kid is only 2 feet tall. Just out of curiosity, how old were the kids your last took?