Blue Mountain coffee in Montego Bay?

maldenmusic

I'm pretty sure you can buy what will be labeled as "Blue Mountain" coffee at the shops at the port area. But be aware that over 80% of the genuine and best grades of Blue Mountain coffee is exported under contract to Japan, so this is not likely to be what you will be buying there. That grade, which is what most people believe they are buying, is also used for Tia Marie liqueur and is not readily available as a result of to the general consumer. What you will buy will likely be a lesser grade, but still grown in regions certified to be able to use the label "Blue Mountain". It is still a good flavor, however.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

We bought coffee in the row of small shops right by the port entrance. Make sure to check if you want beans or ground. The packages were 8 oz, 16 oz, and don't remember if larger.

If you are buying for yourself, check the price at home and online to compare. If as a gift, the packaging is certainly different. Our kids loved it and asked for more :)

The first time we were in Jamaica we schlepped back coffee for my mom and dad. They could not wait to have it. They were very disappointed and said it was not all that it was cracked up to be.

I cannot say for sure since i do not drink coffee. Only like the smell of it.

The first time we were in Jamaica we schlepped back coffee for my mom and dad. They could not wait to have it. They were very disappointed and said it was not all that it was cracked up to be.

I cannot say for sure since i do not drink coffee. Only like the smell of it.

Likely because it is not the top grade bean as mentioned in my prior post but a lower grade label.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I can buy it in many stores in my city! It's not some "rarity"! TJ MAXX and Homestores have it, as do many grocery stores!

the sub par stuff you buy at TJ maxx is the crap they export because it doesn't meet the standards for the real thing. plus it is usually a blend with very little JMB percentage wise.

if it is not costing you $40 a pound, it's not the good stuff.

that being said the $24.99 /lb stuff is acceptable to most people as a better cup of coffee. but definitely look for 100%, not the blends.

nearly all the tourist trap stores will have a wall of it for sale and we have found that for the most part, its the same price, brand and configuration.

we do prefer buying it from the stand alone store that ONLY sells JBM but mostly because they have single varietal in more than one price point/size and we do prefer whole bean.

He didn't seem to care about price. There is a place after you go down past the entry gate on the right about 1/2 way thru the plaza and they had the " Good Stuff when we were there ii Feb. They are willing to ship also and seemed pretty straight as the lady told us several times it wasn't the blend. Price was about $40 US.