Okay, so what's the best thing you've eaten on a Carnival cruise... and the worst?

jeepers13

Well this thread definitely proves that taste is subjective. This is why I never let food reviews influence my cruise decisions.

Some of my favorite Carnival dishes: Strawberry Bisque, Tempura Shrimp, Crème Brulee, Pork Chops, Banana Bread, and Fresh made Omelets

Some of my family's favorite Carnival dishes: Steak (DH), Warm Chocolate Melting Cake (DS), Mac & Cheese (DD), Soft Serve Ice Cream (DD) and Turkey Sandwiches from the Deli (DD, DS, and DH)

Some of the dishes I did not like: Penne Mariscos, Lobster, and Stuffed Mushrooms

Some of the dishes my family did not like: Ratatouille (DD & DS), Frog Legs (DH, DD, and DS), Wonton Soup (DS), Pizza (DH) and Lasagna (DS)

I'm sure there were others good and bad, I just don't recall what they were.

Edited by Warm Breezes

Could it be the Mongolian Steak Salad? It's on the first lunch menu in longer cruises. It was disappointing when we had it on the Miracle in February.

The watermelon soup is very good.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Hmmm, maybe they changed the name of it? I don't know but they served it at dinner, both as an appetizer and an entrée, I guess it was probably 7 or 8 years ago. It was sort of like Dan Dan noodles. Soooo good!

Best: Huevos Rancheros from BI with a side of crispy potatoes, Indian Vegetarian, Bitter 'n' Blanc (I'd like to see that back on the short cruise menu,) the Fish 'n' Chips they had on the old Sea Day Lunch menu, also seem to get the turkey sandwich or turkey wrap from the deli a few times each cruise.

Worst: Melting Cake, Pizza, "diet" cakes, Vegetable Lasagna, most sandwiches from Room Service....

thanks for the tip on the non-Vegetarian Indian - looking forward to trying it!

Used to be the Spring Lamb, but they stopped serving it after years of offering it on night one.

Worst now is what they call steak. It's horrid. In fact, the last time we cruised Carnival, it was the first time we ate off the ship just to enjoy a meal.

Hard to choose best - dumplings in JiJi's, or calamari in Capitano, pot roast in MDR first night, bitter and blanc? Handmade Bloody Mary for sea day brunch? Can't pick just one! Worst? Either the nearly raw baked potato , or a very tired lobster bisque years ago. The good certainly outweighs the bad, for sure!!

I hated the beef stroganoff in the MDR. It was really nasty.

I like the pizza, chocolate melting cake, beef carpaccio. The fried chicken always works for me if there isn't anything else I like on the menu.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My faves: Carnival used to have a beef noodle salad with peanut sauce, probably my favorite thing ever on Carnival. I think I ate 3 orders of it one night. I also love the crab cakes in the Steakhouse and the huevos rancheros at brunch. And, oddly, I LOVE the chicken fingers and hot dogs at the grill, normally I don't much like either.

Worst thing: meatloaf. And the frog legs were highly disappointing. I love frog legs but these were as bland and tasteless as boiled chicken. Also, the desserts in the Lido buffet are disappointing as well. No matter what you get, it all tastes the same and I'm not even sure what the flavor is :D

I was also thinking about that beef dish with the peanut sauce! It was amazing and I don't think I've ever seen it on a cruise again. I would love to have that recipe!

I love Carnival's food so it's hard to pick a favorite!

From the Lido:

The pastries at the Havana Bar on the Sunshine

Key Lime Pie

Mongolian Grill

In the dining room:

All the cold fruit soups

Prime Rib

Lobster

Chateau Briand (the best was on the Holiday!)

Sweet and Sour Shrimp

Desserts:

Grand Marnier Souffle

Creme Brulee

Tiramisu

Unpredictable:

Warm Chocolate Melting Cake

Bitter n Blanc

I've had both of those be amazing and both be very disappointing.

Used to be the Spring Lamb, but they stopped serving it after years of offering it on night one.

Worst now is what they call steak. It's horrid. In fact, the last time we cruised Carnival, it was the first time we ate off the ship just to enjoy a meal.

Always the comedian, but you have moved up in the world.......still waiting.....

The good: Steak and Eggs from Sea Day Brunch, lobster, short ribs, chateaubriand, baked mushrooms, Guys burgers and fries

and for dessert the black forest gateau, chocolate raspberry cake, and amaretto cake

(and the funny thing is I don't usually eat chocolate cake and all of these are chocolate cakes)

Not impressed: Mac and Cheese with chicken at the brunch (it was a breaded chicken with like a panko breading- too heavy)

French onion soup (which is one of my favorite foods ever elsewhere but Carnivals tasted like beef water- blah)

chicken diablo at brunch (the only time I ever called the waiter back to order a different entree)

basically any dessert from the lido buffet

Baked alaska (first cruise- just not impressed- it was like white cake with neopolitan ice cream)

The beef stroganoff sounds disgusting (beets!!). Haven't ordered it. Make it at home and its good so I don't want to ruin that forever.

Edited by cruzinlisa

Baked alaska (first cruise- just not impressed- it was like white cake with neopolitan ice cream)

I'm with you. It's OK to nibble on after the waiters' big production, but for my dessert calories, somebody better be bringing me a WCMC to wash it down with :p

Edited by VASOXFANN

So many favorites:

Lox in dining room for breakfast

Tandoori buffet the Breeze

Grand Marnier Soufflé

Bitter Blanc

Try to forget the bad only one I remember did not like a

Indian Vegetarian option on the old Sunshine was not to good one night

Nervous about trying the American Menu on the Magic but I am sure I will find things I like!:p

I'm with you. It's OK to nibble on after the waiters' big production, but for my dessert calories, somebody better be bringing me a WCMC to wash it down with :p

They did not even do a production- at least not one that I could see. But they made a big deal about it, I had heard about it and it SOUNDED fancy, so I thought I would try it. Not really impressed. In fact, even if given the opportunity in a restaurant on land, I don't think I would order baked Alaska.

My first cruise (back in 2004), they had beef wellington. I enjoyed it. Its probably one of those things I would never have tried otherwise. That is the same cruise I had the baked disappointment (I mean Alaska).