Okay, so what's the best thing you've eaten on a Carnival cruise... and the worst?

jeepers13

Glad to hear we are going in 3 weeks and was afraid since it is an older ship the food would not be so good.

I hear you! It is definitely due for a dry dock...overdue, I should say. We returned to our stateroom early in Cozumel and found the tap water to be so disgustingly brown that we will never brush our teeth or drink tap water on a ship again. Probably over reacting here but nevertheless, it was absolutely disgusting.

As far as the food goes, we had your time dining and our waitress, was the best. She did cartwheels around all the other waiters. So efficient! First time I ever saw the rind removed from Brie cheese which I order every night of every cruise we take on CCL. She had a special surprise off the menu dessert for us too: a great crème brûlée.

If you would like to hear more and see pictures, e-mail me and I will give you the link to my Sensation photo album which includes a lot of food photos and the name of this waitress so you can ask for her.

Edited by Fighterone

The best was the Beef Chateaubriand on the Freedom a few years ago! I haven't saw it on a cruise since. It may be because it was a 6 day cruise and we have been on five day cruises since then?

I don't really know a worst to name. When cruising, you have the luxury of trying many things. If you don't like it, tell the waiter and they will bring you something else.

I enjoy most of what Carnival offers, but my all time fav is the mousse that is served as a garnish to the room service chocolate cake. One night on the Dream a few years back, I was wandering the decks late at night and came across a set up of dessert dishes on the aft deck. They were filled with this mousse along with some fresh cream. I have been on many sailings since that night and have never seen such a thing again =(

Best - the fire roasted tomato soup at the punchliner brunch. It is probably one of the best things I have ever eaten, period. I love Bitter and Blanc too.

Worst - there was a weird apple soup I had on my Hawaiian cruise on the Splendor January 2013. it was at the chef's table, and it just was not good. I still ate it, but it is the only dish that stands out as being awful. (edited to add: it was the Bavarios: Spinach, Green Peas, Warm Turnip and Apple Juice)

Edited by Bookworm1985

Best: ANYTHING from the Chef's Table, but the Wagyu beef in particular is amazing. Also anything from the Steakhouse, but the side of sautéed mushrooms was particularly (and surprisingly!) great. Of course I love the chocolate melting cake, but I did also really love the buttered popcorn pot de creme. My boyfriend's favorite is always the brunch steak and eggs. The filet served for brunch is far better than the flat iron served for dinner. We also tend to really love anything they have at the Taste Bar. We often use that as a little pre-appetizer before dinner, though, so maybe it's always delicious because we're always hungry at that point. :)

Worst: I'm sure I've had plenty of things that I didn't enjoy much, but I try not to remember most of them. The one thing I remember from our last cruise was a TERRIBLE birthday cake. I'm not sure if it's the same cake on all cruises, but this one was a tiny little cake with really cute layers of pink, yellow, and blue cake, with a white buttercream frosting on it. The frosting was probably the worst I've ever had. Has anyone else had this cake? I'd love to know if it was a one time thing or if it's always that bad.

Edited by jjow

My favorite was the caramelized lemon custard with basil ice cream (no longer served), and the worst was a lobster I got several cruises ago that smelled and tasted like ammonia. One tiny bite was more than enough. I didn't want to complain, so I just ordered another and left the first one sitting there. The second one was much better, not fabulous, but much better. I have this thing about complaining about my food. I worry what might be done to my reorder in retaliation... not just on a cruise ship, but at any restaurant.

This happened to me too but the waiters were not around to order another one. My sister shared her's post gastric-by-pass surgery.

We had creme brûlée that our nice waiters "found" for us after we talked about it previously being on the menu. I enjoyed most of my dishes from American table this last June cruise. The grilled pork chop at brunch was scrumptious and I really enjoyed the pasta dishes at dinner and the spring rolls. I did not have a bad dinner the whole 5 nights we went.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My favs were the foods at the Chef's table along with foods at the Steak House and also any beef served with mashed potatoes. My least favs are the limp waffles at the brunch, the WCMC and the chocolate extravaganza which has everything looking better than they taste.

There are lots of things to love. My son loves the Ribs They used to serve a chicken pasta dish that had black olives in it. (Mediterranean Pasta?) that was my fav and usually served first night. Of course Warm Melting Cake Miss the free cappuccino with dinner. Love the Cappuccino Pie. The chocolate chip cookies are so good as well as brownies. Great room service item. Love the Corn beef sandwiches. I love the chilled soups! Especially the strawberry! I Liked Guys burgers and the Lido Indian area. I also agree that the Lido desserts look better than they taste. The cheesecakes are gelatin based. Yuck!! Not a fan of bread pudding. I like the old stir fry sauces not the ones now. They used to have a hot Thai one Now they all taste same. I did not care for the BBQ lanai on the Dream so glad they are replacing with Guys Pig whatever :) oh almost forgot to mention the yummy chocolate cake you can preorder to celebrate something. Love that thing!

On a cruise, a couple of years ago, I had the pork chop at brunch. It was so tender and delicious! So I would say that was the best thing I had. I kept talking about that pork chop to our friends and told them how I couldn't wait to have another one the next time we cruised.

Well, I the next time I cruised, we all went to brunch. I ordered the pork chop - so exciting! It was so tough and gristly I couldn't even cut it. So that could have been my worst meal. But....the waiter asked how our food was and I told him how disappointed I was. He immediately went to the kitchen and brought me back a perfect pork chop. Great Carnival service!

I should say up front I'm no foodie & have simple tastes & a limited diet. I eat chicken, turkey, fruits, veggies, pasta, salad... and meals created from those items. The only excitement to my diet is that I like spicy foods. So I tend to like most of what I try because I don't go off the beaten path.

Likes: fresh made omelettes, chicken tacos at Blue Iguana, Guy's fries, chicken from the rotisserie, the chicken on the everyday menu, chicken fingers from the grill, WCMC, caramel cheesecake, the spring rolls, the salad bar

Dislike: the majority of the lido desserts (they look so good & taste so bad), something that tried to pass itself off as some kind of chicken parm on lido, the buffet eggs, the pankcakes from the seuss breakfast, almost everything at the choco extravaganza

Adds per my kids who have more expansive diets than I:

Likes: the bacon (no seriously, they'll house that stuff), burgers from the grill, anything made from potatoes

Dislikes: the shrimp cocktail (my shrimp loving daughter made a serious "ew" face)

Edited by Drose716

Best: ceviche and bouillabaisse from the conquest class fish & chips place.

Worst: only once, but the bacon I got on the Imagination must have been starting to turn. Horrible.

In general, I would have to say it was the diet pumpkin pie. I don't know how they can make it so bad. That and the buffet cookies. Not especially bad tasting, but not good either. I've never seen a cookie I didn't like, but the cookies at the buffet are not worth the calories. As good as they look, I'll toss them out after one bite.

Absolute favorite the last few cruises has been the Chateaubriand. Definitely going to miss it on our short Victory cruise next month. I do want to try some of the new "short cruise" elegant night offerings though. Other favorites are the Amaretto cake, Black Forest Gateau, and Bitter and Blanc. Double Ruben from the deli is AWESOME. Guy's burgers, Mongolian Wok, and Blue Iguana are all excellent as well.

Worst I've had was the "Mexican" buffet on the Sensation a few years ago. Ugh! Not sure what it was, but it wasn't Mexican.