Upgrading a drinks package while in a European port

two_n_six

We are sailing out of Athens next month on Equinox and we have the classic drinks package. If I upgrade to premium before we sail out of Port are we liable for the local tax as well as the $11.80 daily increased rate. I'm unsure if we should wait until we are in international waters. Can anyone advise? Thanks

two_n_six

The OP's cruise visits Turkey ( a non EU country ) therefore there should be no additional tax throughout the cruise and I've only read reports that tax is charged in port when visiting Barcelona.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've found that when in a port that requires taxes be charged, but eventually the cruise becomes tax free, they will simply handwrite your details and wait till later to post the charges, thus avoiding the taxes, on things like package purchases where it's simple to do so. i.e. it works on package purchase but won't be that case buying 1 off drinks at a bar where the POS immediately bills the account.

kevinyork is correct my cruise has a port stop in Turkey. Thanks for all the replies as we'd like to upgrade as soon as possible but didn't want to pay any additional tax for the sake of a few hours.

They will usually wait if they have to charge VAT at the start of the cruise.

Funny how much people were freaking out about visiting Turkey, however it is a Turkish port that saves us all a lot of money.

kevinyork is correct my cruise has a port stop in Turkey. Thanks for all the replies as we'd like to upgrade as soon as possible but didn't want to pay any additional tax for the sake of a few hours.

Maybe yes, maybe no. Many cruise lines have been canceling port calls to Turkey ports. Given the political situation in that country (DW and I really like Turkey on land and sea) even a crystal ball cannot predict the future. But in the event that Turkey would be canceled, it is likely it would be replaced by 1 or more Greek Ports....(part of the EU).

Hank

Maybe yes, maybe no. Many cruise lines have been canceling port calls to Turkey ports. Given the political situation in that country (DW and I really like Turkey on land and sea) even a crystal ball cannot predict the future. But in the event that Turkey would be canceled, it is likely it would be replaced by 1 or more Greek Ports....(part of the EU).

Hank

We were originally scheduled to depart Istanbul but Celebrity changed this a few weeks ago to Athens. We have had Crete added as a port of call. Hopefully the situation doesn't deteriorate not only for us but for the unfortunate locals caught up in this.