Hurricane in the Caribbean right now....friends are being rerouted!

DKNE

Probably it's not because of Fiona or Gaston. There's another tropical depression moving toward the Leeward Islands and Greater Antilles and expected to continue moving upward toward the Bahamas. (99L I think)

It doesn't have to be a hurricane or named tropical storm to cause miserable conditions.

Doing the Western Caribbean will be much more pleasant all considered.

Probably it's not because of Fiona or Gaston. There's another tropical depression moving toward the Leeward Islands and Greater Antilles and expected to continue moving upward toward the Bahamas. (99L I think)

It doesn't have to be a hurricane or named tropical storm to cause miserable conditions.

Doing the Western Caribbean will be much more pleasant all considered.

I would agree with you on this. I think 99L has to be the reasons for the changes. The forecasts I have looked at tend to agree on it reaching at least the eastern Bahamas and then possibly the East Coast of Florida. They have gotten pretty good at forecasting direction of the storm, strength tends to be their difficulty.

Also, for a repeatable update, visit the NWS, NHC, or an actual meteorologists. You can take what The Weather Channel says as a grain of salt this far out, especially since their forecast are computer generated, and not a ture forecast. The same them is true for ACCU Weather.com too.

All hurricane forecasts are computer generated. The forces involved are so complex that humans can't predict with any certainty the course a tropical storm will take.

I'm sure it's because they don't want to even come close to having another Anthem of the Seas incident. Better safe than sorry since they apparently weren't cautious enough that time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Most likely reason.

Everyone for this weekend need to watch this closely...some of those models have it running close to the Florida coast. If that happens there could be issues with the ships currently out there getting safely back to port and delaying their arrival, which would delay your trip. Not trying to scare, just a heads up.

Most of the models have it staying east of the coast, but almost all have the Bahamas affected this weekend.

Hi there, Tropical storm Fiona should not turn into a hurricane and shouldn't come close to St. Thomas or St Martin. I can't figure out why Carnival is changing course unless its because of higher waves and wind.

Go here to find out about hurricanes http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

Nevermind

Edited by ImaginationCruiseBride

Rerouting and changing stuff because of the tropical wave (invest 90 I believe) but a press release saying "Rerouting for invest 90" does not have the same effect as "Rerouting for TS Fiona (or insert any named Storm) ... Bottom line, invest 90 is expected to develop into something tropical so the cruise lines do not want to be caught down there in anything... So they are changing. As others have said, regardless, it will be wet, windy and generally crappy weather so better off going where it is at least sunny! But safety is paramount in such decisions!

It's Invest 99. Invest 90 turned into TS Gaston. 99 is targeting the northern Lesser Antilles ( Virgin Islands and St Maartin, et.al.) then models indicate a turn toward Bahamas and SE FL by weekend but too early to gauge direction and strength yet. Gaston appears to be following Fiona (who just doesn't want to go away), but shouldn't affect cruises to Eastern C.

All hurricane forecasts are computer generated. The forces involved are so complex that humans can't predict with any certainty the course a tropical storm will take.

Correct! And I'm sure you have seen a "spaghetti" path chart too. :)

We are getting ready for our Carnival Freedom cruise leaving this Saturday.....Seriously, I hope they reroute us, weather for Key West and the Bahamas on our port days looks to be soggy!!

We leave Sunday on the Dream and I'm hoping for a reroute too.

So if typically Carnival cruises from Charleston would reroute to Key West if the Bahamas were in the path of a storm ...I wonder how they would handle a storm that shows it skirting thru both...if the models hold and if the storm were to mature?

Can't change since what will be...will be..just curious if anyone has a thought?

There is no hurricane in the Caribbean right now as stated.

I definitely understand that...and I think it's been stated here several times.

The questions concern projection and curiosity that IF Invest 99 were to become a storm AND were to stay on the currently projected path...what MIGHT be a response.

Every time my news comes on in our state they are making projections about this storm. So of course curiosity leads to questions about typical operational responses.

I definitely understand that...and I think it's been stated here several times.

The questions concern projection and curiosity that IF Invest 99 were to become a storm AND were to stay on the currently projected path...what MIGHT be a response.

Every time my news comes on in our state they are making projections about this storm. So of course curiosity leads to questions about typical operational responses.

Generally, if a storm hits a departure port, they will extend/shorten a cruise to get there before/after the storm (depending on the cruise) for that day. (Leaving out a really big storm that damages the port).

Otherwise they try to send off in as good a direction as they can. Storms in this time of year tend to bank north, so likely they would try to go down to Jamaica/GC/Cozumel. Obviously if it heads that way, they'll just go somewhere else.

Short cruises you're kind of stuck. We had a 3-day on the NCL Sky when Sandy went through the Bahamas the first full day (Saturday of a Friday departing cruise) and we rode out the storm in the channel outside of Miami. Very bumpy ride for sure, but I would guess if it was the eye instead of the bands, we would have just not left and they would cancel the cruise.

So for the sake of argument...and yes, I know there is not a hurricane right now...

Where would a cruise going to Key West and the Bahamas be likely to get rerouted to.

I'm ok with whatever...it's an "adventure at sea" as far as I'm concerned.

I'm just curious.

So for the sake of argument...and yes, I know there is not a hurricane right now...

Where would a cruise going to Key West and the Bahamas be likely to get rerouted to.

I'm ok with whatever...it's an "adventure at sea" as far as I'm concerned.

I'm just curious.

Most likely they will skip Key West and try to get into Bahamas before/after the storm. (Presuming it's not a major hurricane). They have to do a foreign port so they can't just do KW.

The other option is Cozumel. There are quite a few 4-day Cozumel cruises already. This presumes it doesn't go into the Gulf and turns north like most storms.

We leave Sunday on the Dream and I'm hoping for a reroute too.

Same cruise and with the propulsion issues, I wonder what will happen. The Dream has reportedly not been able to get up to full speed or it probably wouldn't be an issue, just going around, key West is tuesday, then we'd for the bahamas, a week after its expected to hit. But with choppy waters and and slow boat... no clue.

Most likely they will skip Key West and try to get into Bahamas before/after the storm. (Presuming it's not a major hurricane). They have to do a foreign port so they can't just do KW.

The other option is Cozumel. There are quite a few 4-day Cozumel cruises already. This presumes it doesn't go into the Gulf and turns north like most storms.

Interesting to watch and see what happens.

Thanks for the reply.