Playlist Productions vs Stage Shows

Ashiepooh

We haven't been on Carnival in a while but are booked on the Sunshine for 12/18. I saw a reference made to Playlist Production while other ships have Stage Shows. Can someone tell me the difference, please?

Live music vs recorded music

We haven't been on Carnival in a while but are booked on the Sunshine for 12/18. I saw a reference made to Playlist Production while other ships have Stage Shows. Can someone tell me the difference, please?

Playlist Production shows have canned music and IMO..... are glorified karaoke. Stage Shows have a live orchestra & talented performers. On my last Carnival cruise...DW and I saw our first Playlist Production and within 2-3 minutes we looked at each other..and just shook our heads. We stayed for the entire show...but won't go to another one.

Miss the days of a live orchestra and talented singers like...Sharon Cornes, Rudy Lowe and Ned Rifken. Go to a Playlist Production...and see what you think.

Edited by cruizinator

The old stage shows had 2 lead and 2 back up singers, the dancers lip sync, and the singers can seldom dance.

Play list are more intensive shows where everyone sings, and dances and a higher level of talent is needed to get cast in the shows. I have seen a few different casts and some have been outstanding performers.

Playlist Productions is one of the reasons why I have cut back on cruising. Certainly not the only reason, but it is one of them. The stage shows with more performers, live music, & twice as long were much more entertaining for me. I felt that the performers in Playlist shows are asked to do way too much, so the quality suffers. But people have said that Playlist shows have gotten better lately.

Edited by k2excursion

Playlist Productions is one of the reasons why I have cut back on cruising. Certainly not the only reason, but it is one of them. The stage shows with more performers, live music, & twice as long were much more entertaining for me. I felt that the performers in Playlist shows are asked to do way too much, so the quality suffers. But people have said that Playlist shows have gotten better lately.

If you'd get the opportunity, check out the shows on the Vista. The best we have seen, albeit a little different.

I need to preface this by saying my opinions are colored by the fact that I grew up inNY going to see shows at least once a month, and was very involved in performing arts until I had to get a job. In my experience, people are either better singers or dancers. Very few people are both. The ones that are both are likely not going to be on a cruise ship. There's also something off without a live band. The background is often times too loud, the singers are asked to sing outside their vocal range. I've been on a few cruises with playlist productions, and I find myself checking my watch waiting for it to be over. I'm not expecting Broadway quality entertainment on a cruise, I enjoyed most of the stage shows very much and they weren't broadway quality either. But now I can't even sit through these playlist shows. Luckily there's plenty other things going on, so it doesn't bother me too much, now we hit the comedy club instead.

The old stage shows had 2 lead and 2 back up singers, the dancers lip sync, and the singers can seldom dance.

Play list are more intensive shows where everyone sings, and dances and a higher level of talent is needed to get cast in the shows. I have seen a few different casts and some have been outstanding performers.

EXACTLY..... Playlist requires everyone to dance and sing. The music is all recorded, yes, but there is a reason.. the whole production is about the performance of the dancers and singers. It is highly choreographed, intricate moves and set changes as the show moves along at a very fast pace. It is also more current music, all according to the theme of the show.

the old shows required one male and one female singer to stand and do a song while dancers did a doowap dance in background. More old Vegas style.

We have seen Playlist on 3 ships now and prefer it hands down to the old style shows. The Playlist performers are really talented individuals.

I need to preface this by saying my opinions are colored by the fact that I grew up inNY going to see shows at least once a month, and was very involved in performing arts until I had to get a job. In my experience, people are either better singers or dancers. Very few people are both. The ones that are both are likely not going to be on a cruise ship. There's also something off without a live band. The background is often times too loud, the singers are asked to sing outside their vocal range. I've been on a few cruises with playlist productions, and I find myself checking my watch waiting for it to be over. I'm not expecting Broadway quality entertainment on a cruise, I enjoyed most of the stage shows very much and they weren't broadway quality either. But now I can't even sit through these playlist shows. Luckily there's plenty other things going on, so it doesn't bother me too much, now we hit the comedy club instead.

Interesting I feel the same way about off-off Broadway shows on other lines. Cruising entertainment is evolving and changing, on all lines. Options are good.

Sent from my iPhone

Edited by jimbo5544

Funny that I also grew up in NYC going to Broadway shows and I have the exact opposite opinion !

I think Playlist has been much better than those production shows! The production shows tried to be too much like Broadway and totally failed!

The new shows are much more energetic and fun with special effects and talented performers!

As you can see there are great differences of opinions and you will have to judge for yourself!

That injection seems pretty painful:eek::eek:

While I understand your comment, my reply is just the opposite. While you would still have issue with the room doing this on the Vista (and what we experienced on the Sunshine as well) my input is that they listened and made adjustments. There was a six piece live band in the Vista for the shows. While that certainly is not full orchestra, it is live entertainment.

Sent from my iPhone

While I understand your comment, my reply is just the opposite. While you would still have issue with the room doing this on the Vista (and what we experienced on the Sunshine as well) my input is that they listened and made adjustments. There was a six piece live band in the Vista for the shows. While that certainly is not full orchestra, it is live entertainment.

Sent from my iPhone

We will probably do the Vista in next year or two or possible the new one in Europe or TA if they have a better itinerary for it.

Otherwise understand the Dream is getting the new playlist shows after drydock so might try it than.

This is backwards if you ask me. The old shows had huge casts, lots of dancing and singing. Playlist is maybe 6 people who try to sing and dance a bit with chintzy sets and lights flashing on the screen behind them.

This is backwards if you ask me. The old shows had huge casts, lots of dancing and singing. Playlist is maybe 6 people who try to sing and dance a bit with chintzy sets and lights flashing on the screen behind them.

It's all a matter of perspective.

Sent from my iPhone

We will probably do the Vista in next year or two or possible the new one in Europe or TA if they have a better itinerary for it.

Otherwise understand the Dream is getting the new playlist shows after drydock so might try it than.

I would be interested in your thoughts after seeing it.

Sent from my iPhone