Meat and potatoes at Blu

Fishkillbill

fishkillbill, I would suggest looking at Blu menus because my dh is a "meat & potatoes" kind of guy and he chose not to eat in Blu most nights. He likes beef & chicken, no duck, no lamb, no pheasant etc. I could not convince him to try Blu once he checked the menu in the afternoon. We absolutely loved it for breakfast. We ate in Tuscan Grill 3xs and buffet several nights.

Beef, chicken and salmon are on the menu each and every night. Remember too that other items can be ordered from the MDR menu, your waiter eill also serve additional vegetables and potatos if you ask for them despite not being printed on the menu.

The thing is, "checking the menu" doesn't really always give you the real picture. We loved Blu in the several cruises we ate there. The menu descriptions are written by chefs or people who want to impress with all the flowery language. In reality what you're given is in many cases simpler.

Also, what people keep forgetting, is you can go in and ask for a baked potato or a big pile of mashed potatoes or some plain rice or pasta on the side. And a serving of green beans (not just a garnish) or a bowl of steamed broccoli for the table. They are SMALL so they can do more customizing.

Ask for some of the sauces on the side. We usually had trouble narrowing down our choices! Sometimes we asked for small plates or half size versions of three things between us so we could taste more. They had a risotto that was absolutely wonderful. The lamb shanks and other dishes are wonderful. People who have said "I don't like lamb" have eaten them and loved them (we sat with people who said that very thing).

Check out the conversations about Aqua Class and the overwhelming theme is the only reason they book those cabins is because of Blu. If you don't find that the menu meets your preference then save your money. We love the variety of menu items and the smaller venue.

Here is a sample that you may find:

Breakfast items:

Regular bacon

Canadian bacon - two sailings we were on didn't offer this

English back bacon

Virginia ham steak

Sausage links

Sausage patties - one sailing we were on did not offer this

Eggs any style except sometimes no Eggs Benedict

Fried potatoes

Order as much as you want.

Dinner:

By "meat and potatoes" my impression is you prefer beef for dinner.

You can order steak every night, as many as you want. Same with potatoes: mashed, fried or baked. I have seen people order burgers and fries as well.

Other beef items are available or featured on specific nights but I don't remember what they are.

Hope this helps. :)

Edited by Rob the Cruiser

Beef, chicken and salmon are on the menu each and every night. Remember too that other items can be ordered from the MDR menu, your waiter eill also serve additional vegetables and potatos if you ask for them despite not being printed on the menu.

Ordering off the MDR is not a given in Blu. You might have a better chance on the M Class ship for they use the same kitchen. The salmon for me is always good. The service in Blu is great. The food is ok. I would not call myself a meat and potatoes type of guy. But I don't eat duck, quail, pigeon or lamb. The Blu meat loaf was one of the worst thing I've ever eaten.

In Luminae you get the Luminae menu and the MDR menu. At least we have when we have eaten in Luminae.

Ordering off the MDR is not a given in Blu. You might have a better chance on the M Class ship for they use the same kitchen. The salmon for me is always good. The service in Blu is great. The food is ok. I would not call myself a meat and potatoes type of guy. But I don't eat duck, quail, pigeon or lamb. The Blu meat loaf was one of the worst thing I've ever eaten.

In Luminae you get the Luminae menu and the MDR menu. At least we have when we have eaten in Luminae.

You might want to read my post again. ;)

When we were in Luminae we were told that you had one side of the menu from the MDR. Though I got the impression that if you asked for anything off the MDR menu you'd probably get it.

I love lamb and game it has so much more flavour than beef and chicken so Blu is ideal. That said there are plenty of non game and lamb options every night.

We were in Blu a month ago and a gentleman sat at a table next to us always ordered plain chicken or steak with steamed vegetables and mashed potato or chips. I have pepper allergies and was always offered alternative vegetables and potatoes.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The thing is, "checking the menu" doesn't really always give you the real picture. We loved Blu in the several cruises we ate there. The menu descriptions are written by chefs or people who want to impress with all the flowery language. In reality what you're given is in many cases simpler.

Also, what people keep forgetting, is you can go in and ask for a baked potato or a big pile of mashed potatoes or some plain rice or pasta on the side. And a serving of green beans (not just a garnish) or a bowl of steamed broccoli for the table. They are SMALL so they can do more customizing.

Ask for some of the sauces on the side. We usually had trouble narrowing down our choices! Sometimes we asked for small plates or half size versions of three things between us so we could taste more. They had a risotto that was absolutely wonderful. The lamb shanks and other dishes are wonderful. People who have said "I don't like lamb" have eaten them and loved them (we sat with people who said that very thing).

I have looked at the Blu menu. I have to assume there is meat under the mountains of garnish.

While we have almost always booked Aqua/Blu, our last TA on Silhouette changed that. Last years TA from Fll to Amsterdam the food was less than previously encountered. Salty, no flavor, poor preparation, so much so that we ate in the mdr, Tuscan, Qsine and the buffet. Last Thanksgiving we booked a balcony(Silhouette) stateroom that was on the hump, and better location, larger balcony with a much lower price. This spring we booked Aqua on Eclipse and it was totally different then our experience on the Silhouette TA. December of this year we are again booked on the Silhouette but not in Aqua. We are also booked on three sailings of the Equinox with all of them in Aqua in 2017. The ship matters.

On the matter of being able to order from the mdr when in Blu - not true. The best "meat" that I enjoyed was the veal chop; which I had on multiple evenings after asking the head waiter.

Yes, food is subjective but, there is a choice of cabins and dining venues. Check out the menus that are posted to see if you will like the meat and potatoe situation!

Hal

We enjoy the opportunity to eat in Blu and Luminae. After getting the menus for both, we choose where we want to eat that particular night. Sometimes the food in Luminae is a little heavy for our tastes and Blu is just right. But I must say, both restaurants went out of their way to please us, along with always offering meat and potatoes for my DH. We have found that everyone wanted us to be happy with our food selections. If we had to only choose one, it would be Blu.