Italian cruises-wine prices adds 18% gratuities+22%vat

Cahpek

You may still have to pay the 22%VAT for your corkage fee. And does the corkage fee not incur an extra 18% gratuity on top of that?

I think something must have gotten lost in the translation ;)

There is NO 18% gratuity added to the Corkage fee

cannot comment on the VAT charge to the corkage fee

If you purchase the drinks package BEFORE you get on the ship (before you leave home in other words ) there is no VAT added because it was not purchased ON THE SHIP

This has been discussed before here ..there is a SEARCH feature (top right) put VAT in the box there & see what comes up

works for other subjects as well

Hi

just who is ripping who off?

VAT is the law in EC countries bound by the Shengen agreement. Just as there's a city tax and or a state tax in the USA

Some EC countries choose to pass it on to ships leaving their ports or sailing in their waters.

I do believe that there's a form (from the front desk) that if you keep all your receipts for VAT charged ( you will find that it's also charged on purchases ashore) that should you choose you can fill in and claim the tax back.

http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/common/travellers/leave_eu/index_en.htm

Here's a helpful link

regards

Josie

Having just returned from an Alaska cruise that departed Seattle, I was surprised to learn from the server that a state tax was due on my drink if I purchased it while the ship was tied up at Pier 66. Naturally, I contained my enthusiasm and waited until we were in Puget Sound before imbibing. Am sure glad that I was warned off the greedy hands of "states rights" - It does not seem to matter where you are when it comes to taxation opportunists.:rolleyes:

We are sailing BCN to BCN in October. We have been told via our TA who contacted O that "this is a Spanish cruise and thus we will be charges VAT the entire trip regardless of where the ship sails". If one wants to avoid the VAT you can purchase the "drink package" before you board the ship. We however have a very generous OBC and will still purchase onboard. I guess it just comes with the territory.

Having just returned from an Alaska cruise that departed Seattle, I was surprised to learn from the server that a state tax was due on my drink if I purchased it while the ship was tied up at Pier 66. Naturally, I contained my enthusiasm and waited until we were in Puget Sound before imbibing. Am sure glad that I was warned off the greedy hands of "states rights" - It does not seem to matter where you are when it comes to taxation opportunists.:rolleyes:

At least it was only while you were in port not for the entire cruise like Spain

I have heard other US ports also want their share :D

You may still have to pay the 22%VAT for your corkage fee. And does the corkage fee not incur an extra 18% gratuity on top of that?

So that suggestion may not be all that helpful but thanks for helping all the same.

Sailed from Barcelona last month and VAT was charged on the first two bottles of wine we purchased i.e. 18% gratuity and Spanish VAT of ??. After we loaded up on wine, we never purchased another bottle but paid many $25 corkage fees. No VAT on the corkage and we were in Spanish waters for nearly the entire trip.

Sailed from Barcelona last month and VAT was charged on the first two bottles of wine we purchased i.e. 18% gratuity and Spanish VAT of ??. After we loaded up on wine, we never purchased another bottle but paid many $25 corkage fees. No VAT on the corkage and we were in Spanish waters for nearly the entire trip.

Did you buy wine there to bring on board or did you bring the wine from your huge household cellar:D. I'm boarding in Barcelona in October.

I would just boycott cruises going to Spain, Italy & Brazil that way you will not be ripped off by these Countries trying to get their pound of flesh

It is ridiculous the cruise lines get their supplies elsewhere so why do they need to pay extra tax ..if they buy the goods in those Countries they will pay the taxes then

That would be like me going to another Country & having them tax my belonging that I purchased at home :eek:

Good comment. We will not be going to these places anyway since the crime in Brazil and the terror threat in Europe is too great for us. And we have been to most places that a cruise ship can go in Europe. Taking a break for a few years.

Did you buy wine there to bring on board or did you bring the wine from your huge household cellar:D. I'm boarding in Barcelona in October.

There is a wine store in La Boqueria...we bought our wine there...it saved an extra stop, since we always go to La Boqueria when in Barcelona anyway. Prices were fair (actually seemed cheap against US prices for wines), the shopkeeper spoke perfect English and was helpful on selections. There are probably cheaper places to buy, but since we were there to sight see, it was a great "two-fer".

In the Barcelona Cruise Terminal there are a few shops, one was a Wine Shop although most of the bottles were Spanish Wine with little other choice.

There is a wine store in La Boqueria...we bought our wine there...it saved an extra stop, since we always go to La Boqueria when in Barcelona anyway. Prices were fair (actually seemed cheap against US prices for wines), the shopkeeper spoke perfect English and was helpful on selections. There are probably cheaper places to buy, but since we were there to sight see, it was a great "two-fer".

Thanks buggins. Taking my daughter with me and we want to see every market there is. Not terribly familiar with Spanish wines other than Cava.

Thanks buggins. Taking my daughter with me and we want to see every market there is. Not terribly familiar with Spanish wines other than Cava.

How fun, if there is a European market...we're there!

The wine shop is at the back near the counter restaurants there ...I think just right of center aisle (viewing right and left from the entrance to the market).

La Boquieria is huge and so very crowded. Get there real early, But not to be missed. I plan on buying some wine there also.

You'll love Barcelona Catherine! We purchased wine there vs bringing from home - wanted to enjoy the local wines while there and on board. We visited a number of shops and the best two were Vila Vinoteca and Torres Vinoteca.

Torres is actually a restaurant serving excellent tapas and wine by the glass. When you find something you like, you can purchase a bottle to take out and the price is about the same for the whole bottle as you paid for the glass. Nice to be able to taste before buying.

Vila Vinoteca is in the old part of the city, fairly near the ocean. The staff there is incredibly helpful and the prices very, very reasonable. Never had a bottle we didn't enjoy.

If you want addresses, I can email them to you.

• 3 weeks later...
What about Transatlantic Cruises leaving from Barcelona? Do they charge the spain VAT on beverage packages purchased after boarding the ship?

Not sure, but it is likely all cruises leaving from Barcelona ("Spanish waters") would incur a charge. You need to check with reception when you are on board the ship.

By the way, we are on board the Riviera right how, and a few days ago, the receptionist

told us as far as she knows, there is NO 22% ITALIAN VAT CHARGES for our cruise which sailed from Venice (the cruise is nearly over now! ) , but just the 18 % charges. She indicated that if there was the extra 22% VAT charges, the passengers would normally be informed but she had not heard anything about that (VAT addition) . And if we are correct, for corkage fees, you don't even pay the 18% charges. However, for any cruise, please check with Oceania's reception once on board to be sure what is being charged and what is not.

We also discovered that soft drinks are all free on Oceania cruises. What is also curious is that, if we remembered correct, last year, when we wanted "sparkling/fizzy" mineral water, there was a charge but there was no charge for canned soda water. This time, both sparking/fizzy mineral water and canned soda water are both complimentary.

Edited by Cahpek