5 people in 1 cabin - beds? Thoughts?

kc13

My DH and I are thinking about taking his mom, younger brother (10) and younger sister (11) on a 5day cruise next September. Trying to go cheap but still nice - since we're paying for it. We're thinking of all of us staying in 1 room and going to try for a balcony room. My question is has anyone done this? We cruise every year and I know the rooms are small but just wondering how the beds will be placed? Upper/lower? Sofa? I'm hoping to get a balcony room to give them the balcony experience since this is their first cruise.

TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My DH and I are thinking about taking his mom, younger brother (10) and younger sister (11) on a 5day cruise next September. Trying to go cheap but still nice - since we're paying for it. We're thinking of all of us staying in 1 room and going to try for a balcony room. My question is has anyone done this? We cruise every year and I know the rooms are small but just wondering how the beds will be placed? Upper/lower? Sofa? I'm hoping to get a balcony room to give them the balcony experience since this is their first cruise.

TIA

You can only put 5 people in a room that is designated for 5. Only certain Carnival ships have rooms designated for 5. On Dream class the only rooms that do this are ocean view. Only some of the older ships have this classification.

Sent from my iPhone

There are only a few ships that will allow 5 in a cabin. Dream Class have Deluxe Ocean Views that will do so. 2 upper bunks, 1 lower single (bolsters come off the couch to become bed), 2 lower twins/king.

These cabins also come with an extra bathroom (sink/and tub/shower combo). Helpful when showering each day. Not sure if any Dream Class ships 'do' a 5 day. Could be the 'smaller' Fantasy class will accommodate 5.

I personally would not want to try to do 5 in a balcony. Consider doing 3 in a balcony and 2 in an inside across the hall. may not be that much more.

Good luck.

You can only put 5 people in a room that is designated for 5. Only certain Carnival ships have rooms designated for 5. On Dream class the only rooms that do this are ocean view. Only some of the older ships have this classification.

Sent from my iPhone

Good to know! I started pricing some that would allow it.. Didn't find any balconies yet because I didn't have time. Just trying to get an idea.

Good to know! I started pricing some that would allow it.. Didn't find any balconies yet because I didn't have time. Just trying to get an idea.

You'll be hard-pressed to find a balcony that will sleep 5 (if at all) unless you go up to something like a Family Harbor Suite on the new Vista.

Most that will accommodate 5 will be oceanview on Fantasy or Dream class as others have mentioned.

We did this once and never again. There is not an inch of spare space and having only one bathroom was not good. If everyone lives in an RV right now, it may be doable. Otherwise, book a second cabin. It will be money well spent and you will have a much more enjoyable time.

We did this once and never again. There is not an inch of spare space and having only one bathroom was not good. If everyone lives in an RV right now, it may be doable. Otherwise, book a second cabin. It will be money well spent and you will have a much more enjoyable time.

Haha this was my fear [emoji23] hmm... decisions!!!

Ok another question! If we book 2 side by side balconies, do you think they will let us take down the divider?? Or is this even possible? Never been in a balcony cabin on Carnival.

we once did 4 adults in an inside.

Takes a lot of "house rules" to make it work.

also....... everybody has to alwys put everything away.

we did it, but with 2 teenagers and Grand-ma....... not sure how that would work.

DO NO DO IT!!! You get the balcony and put the 3 if them across the hall in an inside cabin. Give MIL a key to your room so she can enjoy balcony while you're out and about on the ship. The kids won't care about a balcony. They'll be to busy enjoying the ship and kids club.

What a wonderful DIL u are?

This will ensure after the cruise you will still love ur MIL! LOL!!

DO NO DO IT!!! You get the balcony and put the 3 if them across the hall in an inside cabin. Give MIL a key to your room so she can enjoy balcony while you're out and about on the ship. The kids won't care about a balcony. They'll be to busy enjoying the ship and kids club.

This isn't a bad idea! Do you know if we did 2 side by side balconies if they would let us take the divider down?

Haha everyone tells me I'm crazy but i really want to give them the experience of cruising because we really love it. The memories are what it's all about!

We usually book around February. Trying to figure out when the best deals will pop up. (Labor Day, Black Friday, Presidents Day?)

We had our girls across the hall from us in an interior. They spent enough time hanging out in our room to enjoy the balcony, but when I offered to switch rooms with them for one night I got a big, fat "No thanks!" They said they really liked their own space. Fine by me!! ;)

We have a balcony booked on the Victory for next month with 5 of us! Its just a 3nighter but they have 4 nighters too on that ship. Keep an eye out for the ship because they do allow 5 in some balcony cabins! We have 2 twins/1 king, upper bunk and lower sofa bed and there will be a pull out trundle bed too.

We have done 5 in a cabin on the Dream & the Triumph (triumph does 4-5 day cruises out of NOLA). Both were oceanview categories. The Dream was a Deluxe Oceanview with 3 adults 2 kids (one adult on sofa, 2 in the 2 twin beds and 2 kids in pullmans/upppers). We are doing 5 in a Deluxe Oceanview on the Breeze in 2 weeks. 2 adults, 3 kids (16 yr old 6'3" boy, 12 yr old and 6 yr old. Its workable. On the breeze cruise, my oldest will be sleeping on the sofa bed and my two little will be on the pullmans. HUbby and I are sharing the king of course.

Edited by DobberDog

I could imagine 5 if it was 2 adults and 3 kids but not with another adult involved. I would definitely try to get another room even if you have to forgo the balconies. I would think about doing insides and uping the category to Lido if you want to amp up the fun for the kids. That way they can just walk out the doors to the fun. I think they would enjoy that more than the balconies anyways. That puts them right by the food, the waterslides and everything else and you close to the spa if you want to do that.

We have done 5 in a cabin on the Dream & the Triumph (triumph does 4-5 day cruises out of NOLA). Both were oceanview categories. The Dream was a Deluxe Oceanview with 3 adults 2 kids (one adult on sofa, 2 in the 2 twin beds and 2 kids in pullmans/upppers). We are doing 5 in a Deluxe Oceanview on the Breeze in 2 weeks. 2 adults, 3 kids (16 yr old 6'3" boy, 12 yr old and 6 yr old. Its workable. On the breeze cruise, my oldest will be sleeping on the sofa bed and my two little will be on the pullmans. HUbby and I are sharing the king of course.

We all get along really well and have at 1 point in or lives all lived together. Lol did you like the triumph?? I found a balcony midship on deck 8. My MIL is game. I just don't want an obstructed view.

We did two 5-night cruises on Victory with 5 in a balcony cabin - twice. DH and I had the king bed, boys had the sofa, pull-down bed, and a rollaway. It was doable for us when the boys were younger (last time we did 5 in a cabin they were 15, 10 and 6). Having the balcony made all the difference for us, since it allowed some "getaway" space for some while others were dressing for dinner.

We don't sail with 5 anymore (oldest son is 25 and does his own all-expense-paid cruising courtesy of the U.S. Navy :cool:), and even with 4 we now sail with DH and me in our own balcony cabin and sons in an inside.

We all get along really well and have at 1 point in or lives all lived together. Lol did you like the triumph?? I found a balcony midship on deck 8. My MIL is game. I just don't want an obstructed view.

You can google to find an image of this set-up on the Triumph. We did this in March, my daughter, her husband and their three kids - you just need to be aware that there are only 2 real beds. There are then 2 bunks that pull down from the ceiling and a roll away/trundle that is smaller than a twin sized bed and is not very comfortable for a full sized adult - you would have to rotate sleepers on that bed so no one gets stuck there for all 4 - 5 nights.

In the Fantasy class OV & IS cabins keep the lowers apart. One under the window and the other along one wall. Put the trundle or rollaway under the other bunk.

The upper's have hooks next to them. We hang pocket holders, the upper row becomes the bunk's nightstand.

There are only 3 or 4 drawers and a limited number of shelves and hangars.

Luggage gets stored under the beds.

Edited by SadieN

We are booked in a Family Harbor Suite, which will sleep 5. It is also a Balcony on Deck 2 of the Vista.

It comes with a King, larger Couch (that converts into a queen) and 1 pull down bunk. Might not be the best sleeping arrangements, but does offer an extra bath (small tub and sink). Also is about 50% larger than the standard balcony (was told 245 sq ft.).

Family Harbor lounge is right down the hall that provides food and beverages, games and other family activities.

Still, I think you would be better with a Balcony and an Inside across the hall.

Edited by HawkIVette

TIA

No way i would do it.

Ok another question! If we book 2 side by side balconies, do you think they will let us take down the divider?? Or is this even possible? Never been in a balcony cabin on Carnival.

There are specific balconies that have connecting dividers. Use a TA or a PVP to accomplish this.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app