What ended up happening with the "one service a day" issue?

AdoraBelle

On our Victory cruise in April we did not see the steward the first day - on the second day I finally tracked him down (about 11am).. I asked him about the am/pm service and also asked him was there a card I had to fill out for my request - he said, "Oh yes, I have one for you" and he left and came back with it.

IMG_2617.jpg

The elusive "both" form finally shows up, live and in color!!!

For people that have had the card that only said morning, or evening plus all of the other things, ice, robes, hangers, etc. do you only select one thing on the breakfast room service menu? I just don't understand why anyone would think they couldn't just check the morning box AND the evening box. It didn't say just pick one, and as the card that was shown here that actually had the "both" box, the need anything else choices didn't say pick one there either but for some reason people didn't need to be told there it was ok to select more than one box in that section.

Edited by Rh2458

And your answer was? If you wanted twice a day, I hope you said that. If not, shame on you for not standing up for yourself and expressing your needs.

I think people keep missing the point that Carnival is trying to please their customers. Many people are happy (and it's what they truly want and feel they need) with only once a day service so that's why they ask. As far as another poster that said their steward didn't look too happy when they requested it twice a day....it's possible you were only reading into their reaction what you were predisposed to want to see.

Oh yeah.

People are clamoring for once a day. Less is more in the carnival universe.

Oh yeah.

People are clamoring for once a day. Less is more in the carnival universe.

Joke all you want. I have read plenty of people on the unnamed site that actually welcomed the option to just have the steward come once a day.

They didn't know how Do Not Disturb signs worked?

Come on.

Of course they do, but how fair is that to the steward who may be waiting around until they leave to service their room? If he/she knew up front they weren't interested wouldn't that be more fair?

Joke all you want. I have read plenty of people on the unnamed site that actually welcomed the option to just have the steward come once a day.
"Do not disturb" signs are the solution for that. To decrease service across the board to please those who desire less service makes no sense. I don't for a moment believe that is Carnival's motivation. Companies make cutbacks for one reason and one reason alone, money. They merely desire, when possible, that it appears as though they are doing their customers a favor. That doesn't make it so. If Carnival is struggling to maintain their profit margin without significantly raising prices, then by all means, go ahead and do it. BUT let your customers know about any changes before they get on the ship. Give them time to adjust their expectations. If they would do that one thing, you'd see a lot less complaint and confusion threads on CC. It's a shame their customers have to go somewhere like CC to try and figure out what they will, and won't, get for their money when they cruise.

What happened to the thread that talked about not doing turndown service the first night on a cruise. It had almost 12 pages and I was only on 3 when it Vanished...Strange

Mike

My guess is the mods thought it was becoming too "personal." Some folks can't debate without resorting to insults, unfortunately. This is why we can't have nice things. :o

I would actually be thrilled with the new card and prefer once a day service. I get very stressed out about people being in my space (I do want new towels and my Fun Times and maybe a towel animal). I like being able to check a box for ice or extra hangers, as I always leave notes for these things anyway, and the card seems more organized and efficient to me.

I don't love the Do Not Distrurb sign for when we are not in the room, and I don't like the idea of someone wasting time on me when I won't appreciate/need it.

If I wanted twice a day service, I still wouldn't feel bad asking for it, but I don't see the harm in filling out a card with preferences and personally prefer once a day. I don't really care when, but I'd pick evening because we're almost always out then for sure.

The only thing I wish is that this wasn't a card but was filled out electronically before the cruise.

For people that have had the card that only said morning, or evening plus all of the other things, ice, robes, hangers, etc. do you only select one thing on the breakfast room service menu? I just don't understand why anyone would think they couldn't just check the morning box AND the evening box. It didn't say just pick one, and as the card that was shown here that actually had the "both" box, the need anything else choices didn't say pick one there either but for some reason people didn't need to be told there it was ok to select more than one box in that section.

Exactly. It's as if once people were confronted with no option for "both", they lost the ability to think.

Really? maybe you didn't read all the posts. The reason people didn't think they could check off both is because when the steward handed them the card they said here's a card to select morning or evening service. Although the card didn't say choose one the steward did. What is so difficult to understand about that??

I am just off the Splendor and had no trouble. The Steward asked and I told him both morning and evening and it was no problem. I also told him not to do my father's room. He's elderly and sleeps a lot - unless we request it. No problem with that either. Like other's have said, communication is key. I mean I would see my steward many times throughout the day with ample opportunity to talk about anything. I also left him a note about wanting a new shower curtain - was changed out at next clean up. Spoke to him in the hallway about fixing a door in my father's room - was literally done within a half hour.

... To decrease service across the board to please those who desire less service makes no sense. I don't for a moment believe that is Carnival's motivation. Companies make cutbacks for one reason and one reason alone, money. They merely desire, when possible, that it appears as though they are doing their customers a favor. ...

I believe this 100%. While CC does not represent all cruisers, it is a significant sample size and we should be able to infer that the vast majority here prefer 2 cleanings a day.

I believe this 100%. While CC does not represent all cruisers, it is a significant sample size and we should be able to infer that the vast majority here prefer 2 cleanings a day.

You could infer that but it would be inaccurate.

A not-so-insignificant number of respondents in the plethora of threads on the subject have indicated they would not be negatively impacted (and in some cases prefer) once-a-day cabin service.

Those who do not like the change will speak up (repeatedly in some cases) more frequently than those that would not be affected (and therefore less likely to say so).

While the majority wouldn't like a change to once-a-day cabin service, it's not as vast as you might think.

Luckily, the option for each having their preference is in place. Those that wanted their "in writing" proof by the form change now have it. Of course, implementation and operation are two entirely different things. Clearly, there is room for improvement.

Edited by KevInPitt

I also wish as stated above that this was done electronically prior to the cruise as part of our check in. It would be far more efficient especially for the room stewards. If they are trying to make their jobs easier then put everything online so it organizes their rooms for them automatically prior to the cruise even starting with AM, PM and Both cleanings. Then there could still be the section for people to select what other items they need and the stewards could be better prepared before you ever board the ship. It would make everyones life easier. Much better than them handing out cards and doing it all by hand.

We keep our rooms totally clean, doesn't matter if it's a hotel or a cruise ship you will not walk in and find anything on the floor or a bed unmade, may not be perfectly made but it will be neat, so we really have no need for an AM service other than towels being swapped out since we all shower right before bed. I'll request they come in and do towels in the morning with an evening turn down service and if they will that much we'll be good. Or if I can find a place to swap out towels real quick myself. We may just take that last shower at the Spa and then we won't have to worry about it.

Really? maybe you didn't read all the posts. The reason people didn't think they could check off both is because when the steward handed them the card they said here's a card to select morning or evening service. Although the card didn't say choose one the steward did. What is so difficult to understand about that??

I get that. But, if my steward tells me I can just have one I would either go the Guest Services or call the Head Housekeeper and ask them why they are going against Carnival policy. Unfortunately, most cruisers aren't on CC or subscribe the John Heald's Facebook page and may not realize what the policy is.

People aren't going on a cruise to be confrontational with their room stewards. They just want what they want (within reason) without any push-back.

Our last cruise was on the Dream in the height of this drama and we didn't have any problem getting twice daily service. I think the problem is there are a few stewards out there trying the game the system.

I definitely don't need my cabin cleaned twice a day...although it's nice to have it done that way on vacation. However I DO and WILL mind on my October cruise if I don't get ice in the morning and again in the evening. I plan on letting my steward know that once a day cleaning is fine but I would like twice a day ice.

If there is an ice machine nearby where I can get free ice when I want, I also don't have a problem with that. Somebody yesterday mentioned perhaps I could get ice through room service. The only problem I have with that is tipping $3 each evening which would result in approximately $21 for ice over the week. Sorry....not happening.

I haven't pre-paid my gratuities yet (although until this topic came up yesterday I had planned to) and if my steward does not provide me with ice twice a day as requested, as much as I really would HATE to do it, as I'm usually an over-tipper, it will reflect in his/her tip at the end of the cruise. I know the implementation of once-a-day service is not the steward's fault, but it would be his/her fault if my desire for twice a day ice is ignored.

So let me make sure I understand. This card has two sections. (Yes, I have seen both of these cards).

The first section asks about room service and shows options of Morning and Evening. Some cards also have a "Both" option because people got confused about what it meant. With those cards that don't have a "both" option they are still sometimes "interpreted" as only allowing the choice of one of the two, even though it has been widely discussed and explained that checking both the Morning and Evening boxes will get both of those done.

The second section has about 6 things that can be chosen, but no extra box for "All". BUT no one seems to have gotten confused here that more than one thing can be chosen.

Really interesting! Probably says something about those that are getting "upset" enough to propose conspiracy theories and pretend that all this is intended to be very confusing in order to save money and take things away from the customer.

Edited by Retired_to_Cruise

So let me make sure I understand. This card has two sections. (Yes, I have seen both of these cards).

The first section asks about room service and shows options of Morning and Evening. Some cards also have a "Both" option because people got confused about what it meant. With those cards that don't have a "both" option they are still sometimes "interpreted" as only allowing the choice of one of the two, even though it has been widely discussed and explained that checking both the Morning and Evening boxes will get both of those done.

The second section has about 6 things that can be chosen, but no extra box for "All". BUT no one seems to have gotten confused here that more than one thing can be chosen.

Really interesting! Probably says something about those that are getting "upset" enough to propose conspiracy theories and pretend that all this is intended to be very confusing in order to save money and take things away from the customer.

The problem, as I see it, is that some stewards are telling customers that they can only have am or pm, but not both. It doesn't really matter how the form is laid out if there is a person standing in front of you telling you that both boxes cannot be checked.

Edited by ScottsSweetie

Here's my simple view of it. Carnival puts out a"pilot" program to effect some sort of cut. In a short wjhile they will announce that since most "guests" (whether this is fact or not, we will never really know) opted for the "once a day" cabin service In order to please said "guests", that will now be the new policy. Now it's not a cutback, but simply a means to please its guests. Brilliant!

Of course they do, but how fair is that to the steward who may be waiting around until they leave to service their room? If he/she knew up front they weren't interested wouldn't that be more fair?

Exactly. The do no disturb sign does not absolve the steward of his responsibility to service the room, it just means he has to wait and service it when you remove the sign. I can see that being very tough on them.

Here's my simple view of it. Carnival puts out a"pilot" program to effect some sort of cut. In a short wjhile they will announce that since most "guests" (whether this is fact or not, we will never really know) opted for the "once a day" cabin service In order to please said "guests", that will now be the new policy. Now it's not a cutback, but simply a means to please its guests. Brilliant!

What galls so many is we know this to be the case and companies' play this game regularly. "You asked for it, you got it."

The problem, as I see it, is that some stewards are telling customers that they can only have am or pm, but not both. It doesn't really matter how the form is laid out if there is a person standing in front of you telling you that both boxes cannot be checked.

Exactly.

For a newbie cruiser , that doesn't read a cruise forum to know that they can select both, would only choose one.

I could see my adult kids on our upcoming cruise do this. They wouldn't know they could have both AM and PM, especially if the steward is standing there asking them. I don't think he/she would voluntarily say, or you can have both, mine didn't.