What ended up happening with the "one service a day" issue?

AdoraBelle

I'm not sure what I am supposed to be judging? I have only cruised once to date so am very restricted in my experience but we had a little fridge in the room, we weren't allowed to bring alcohol on board so we got our drinks from the bar and bought them back to the room when we wanted to drink there, we put the water in the fridge, we didn't bring a cooler? I see constantly posts saying that ice is essential but couldn't figure out why.

I don't know about essential but it can be great if you bring soda. Or buy the Fun Shops soda. I don't anymore but I brought some my first few cruises and it was helpful to have ice.

Edit... We do bring champagne sometimes and obviously need ice for that.

Edited by berrieh

The slow move to once-a-day service on Carnival is why I'm weaning my husband off the line. He's thrilled that we booked the Anthem of the Seas last night. He's not even talking about our two Carnival cruises coming up.

I used to really love Carnival, but our last cruise, a 15-day Hawaii cruise, showed all the differences between the Carnival line and our cruise on Royal.

The Carnival ships are lovely, the crew is fantastic, but the cutbacks are annoying the heck out of me and I'm just ready to call it quits.

I'd rather spend more and get more.

I guess many share your feeling.

Can anyone tell me what the official result of that was?

Or is this one of those bizarrely forbidden subjects?

On the Ecstasy, he came around with the card, it was not given to us. We were asked if we wanted AM or PM service and if we needed any extra towels blankets or pillows.

We have never had anything but twice a day service on our 21 cruises. When we have seen the card (both versions), we have selected the two (if no Both choice) or Both if it was there.

The afternoon/evening service is necessary for us because we like to shower and clean up after excursions so we usually have wet shower towels and wet beach towels that we want replaced.

We also want ice in the morning and evening. What difference does it make what we use it for, we do use it.

I do not care if I get the stink eye from a room steward, I will still tell him/her that I want the twice a day service. If they give me those two options, then I want both of them. If the second one does not happen, I will call house keeping and ask for a towel change and ice. They will figure it out before a cruise is over.

I think the real issue here is the way the billion-dollar corporations have so successfully shifted the guilt/blame of how they treat their employees over to the consumer.

It's not personal between me and the cruise line employees, or about me begrudging another human being anything. I mainly just want to know what I'm paying for, and not be guilt-tripped if it's taken away before I sail.

If the cruise industry essentially cannot be profitable without what amounts to human rights violations, maybe none of us should be cruising.

So, we went from asking about whether there was still and issue on the 'option' to select once or twice a day service, and since that has been rectified, it is now morphed into global cruise industry human rights violations.....really? Keep digging

Edited by jimbo5544

So, we went from asking about whether there was still and issue on the 'option' to select once or twice a day service, and since that has been rectified, it is now morphed into global cruise industry human rights violations.....really? Keep digging

I'm not the one who brings up the "poor crew" in order to defend the *cruise line* every time there is a new service cutback. That was literally most of the "no more day one turndown service" thread.

I'm not kidding, either. If people are serious about the working conditions of the crew, they shouldn't be supporting an industry that does that to their employees. This is pretty basic ethics stuff.

Much like the Foxconn scandals, it's up to the company to make things right, not shift blame to the consumer.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/27/business/signs-of-changes-taking-hold-in-electronics-factories-in-china.html?_r=0

Edited by AdoraBelle

I'm not the one who brings up the "poor crew" in order to defend the *cruise line* every time there is a new service cutback. That was literally most of the "no more day one turndown service thread".

I'm not kidding, either. If people are serious about the working conditions of the crew, they shouldn't be supporting an industry that does that to their employees. This is pretty basic ethics stuff.

The crew are fine. Next time you sail ask them. I do all the time. To suggest that the cruise line industry has human rights violations is either misguided or disingenuous.

People can speak with their wallets on any issue. Carnival is fine, they understand that their best assets are their employees. I have been sailing Carnival a long time on many ships, several times a year. I converse with lots that I meet along the way. There is nothing wrong with the way Carnival treats their employees.

The crew are fine. Next time you sail ask them. I do all the time. To suggest that the cruise line industry has human rights violations is either misguided or disingenuous.

People can speak with their wallets on any issue. Carnival is fine, they understand that their best assets are their employees. I have been sailing Carnival a long time on many ships, several times a year. I converse with lots that I meet along the way. There is nothing wrong with the way Carnival treats their employees.

Employees are well treated and seem happy and they keep coming back as they know they can make more on the ships than at home.

Splendor stewards ask you to fill out a room needs sheet when you board.

Questions are,

Robes

Morning, evening room make up or both.

Hairdryer

Pillows

Blankets

Extra towels.

Then you sign it.

Easy no problem with it.

Absolutely. If not, then everyone you talk to would be on their first contract. Not their fourth, or sixth, or eighth.

But if you talk to them they will ALL tell you "this is my last contract... I swear" then you laugh and say see you next contract!!

But if you talk to them they will ALL tell you "this is my last contract... I swear" then you laugh and say see you next contract!!

I talk to room stewards all the time, every cruise and cruise 3 or 4 times a year and have never heard anyone say it is their last contract. Go figure....

When we were on the Splendor in May, our cabin steward asked us whether we wanted evening or morning service (or both). He also asked us if we had any special requests. He was very nice! We chose morning only. It was really interesting to come back from our morning activities and find towel animals on our bed. In other words, we got the entire turndown service - in the morning. Our cabin steward was very visible and always asked us if we needed anything. He also gave us his business card so we could call him as well. We really didn't need very much. He made us feel that if we had needed something, it would have been no problem. He was absolutely awesome!! By the way, if you want morning service and ice only in the evening - your cabin steward will do that. They just need to know what you prefer.

All you have to say is both. If they pressed the issue (which they won't ), a quick stop at guest services would solve it

Sent from my iPhone

Truth be told , it would only cause the steward to resent the person. And your're only going to irritate the situation .

Trust me , You don't want to tick off the person who makes your bed or cleans the drinking glasses in your room :eek:

What galls so many is we know this to be the case and companies' play this game regularly. "You asked for it, you got it."

yep, like NCL when they had their pilot plan to implement a room service charge. On one ship it was $5.05 and another ship it was $7.95.

It turns out the guest liked paying $7.95 more.:rolleyes:

At least according to NCL.

Bill