Breakaway August 21 - 28, 2016

DeeT

Just back today. We had a great trip! While still fresh in my mind below are some thoughts, comments and experiences from our Bermuda cruise.

We were at NYC pier by 10 am. Security and check in were super fast. Waited about an hour and half and were eating lunch by noon in the Main Dining Room. Our cabins were ready soon after and luggage was delivered quickly.

Traveled with my husband, son (19) daughter (17). Both kids made friends within a day or two and had a great time with them the rest of the trip. This was our second cruise on NCL and second trip to Bermuda. My husband and I are not late night people. Kids had their own room so I had them check in with us when they got back to the room, which was usually around 1 am. I did lose track of my daughter for about 6 hours at one point on day two during the day (and had all kinds of horrible tragic scenes in my head - her being tossed overboard being just one of them). After searching the ship for about an hour with no luck I ended up having her paged (and can now sympathize when I hear names on the loud speaker). Turned out she fell asleep on a deck chair, got a bad sunburn and a severe tongue-lashing for it. After that they both had to check in every so often.

Anyway, back to the trip.

We were on Deck 13 - Balcony cabin 13142, and Inside cabin 13443. Loved our little balcony and kids enjoyed their own little space. Cabin Steward was Joel. He kept the room very tidy, and refilled our towels, coffee pods, half and half whenever needed. He was great.

Cruise Director Dan Dan was funny and entertaining. We saw Burn the Floor (great!) and Rock of Ages (also great!). We also watched the Crew Talent Show (we were impressed).

We had dining promo for 4 specialty dinners. Ate at Cagneys, Teppaynaki (sorry I think I killed that), La Cucina and Modernos.

Hubby wasn't crazy about his Cagneys dinner. We both had Surf and Turf (Filet mignon and lobster). He also order lobster bisque, which we didn't care for. My meal was very good, his was way overcooked. He didn't send it back and I just gave him some of mine.

Japanese steakhouse was fun. Food was also very good. We both enjoyed it. He had filet (much better here) and lobster again and I had filet and chicken.

La Cucinda was great. A lot of food! I had the t-bone (I like steak in case you couldn't tell). The T-bone was probably my favorite steak of the week.

Modernos was very good. Really liked the salad bar. Honestly we got full pretty quickly.

We had lunches in O'Sheehan's, in MDR, in buffet and in the Grill place on Deck 16. Very good burgers there. Kids ordered late night room service each night and liked it.

We had a couple of breakfasts in the MDR. All were very good.

Now for the pool decks. On sea days my husband and I were on deck by 8 am. We put our stuff on our chairs and went for breakfast at buffet. We were back at our chairs within 40 minutes tops. We watched as security put stickers on chairs that had been "claimed" but were people-less. I'm not sure of the reasoning for doing this since there did not seem to be any consequence when no one showed up, even after a couple of hours. Security never came back that I coud even tell. We enjoyed the pools in the morning, but by late morning and after that the pool was very crowded. Especially when there were games or other activities (men's leg contest, etc) going on. We would hop in and out just to cool off, or just use the shower. There were always lounge chiars available on deck 17.

Before dinner we would find the comfy chairs on the Waterfront area on Deck 8. Was a very nice spot if you wanted some peace and quiet and a nice place to look at the ocean.

On our last sea day there was a small motor boat that the Captain accounced we would be stopping and turning the ship around to go investigate since it was not supposed to be there. Everyone was gathered at the side of the ship to watch as we came closer. We pulled up right next to it where we all could see it was empty. The captain announced that it may have just come untied from it's mooring during a storm and floated out to sea. I hope that was the case!!! :eek: He said he informed the coast guard who would come retrieve it. We were back on our way.

Our first day in Bermuda we went to Tobacco Bay. Hubs and kids did rock jumping. It was fun until it started pouring and didn't stop. We went back to ship. Next day we stayed closed to ship since it was supposed to rain again (never did, it was nice day). We went to Calico Jacks Pirate ship and had a lot of fun jumping off the plank and climbing the rock wall/slide ($5 pp). My daughter and I then went and did some retail therapy. Last day we were at Horseshoe Bay by 8:30 am. It was great! Weather was perfect and the was beautiful. We were back on the ship by 12:30 and went to lunch.

Happy to report there were no pier runners!

A couple of side notes: If you ask the Rep at the Service Desk they will give you free playing cards.

If you ask the Rep at the Future Cruise desk they will give you a ship pin each.

If you ask your room steward he will bring you robes to use.

This morning we had breakfast in MDR at 6:30. Got the kids up at 7:30.

We were all packed and doing Self Assist Debarkation. Of course the elevators were very congested so we all manned up and carried our luggage down 5 flights to Deck 7. It moved very quickly from there. Customs was very fast. We were in our car by 8:45 and home by 10 am!!!

All in all we loved the Breakaway and Bermuda.

And now since no one is bringing me food, I need to go food shopping!!:p

My husband and I leave two weeks from today! So excited! Love reading the positive reviews! Glad you had a wonderful vacation with your family!

It's a great ship and Bermuda is beautiful. I think any negatives are easily outweighed by the positives! Enjoy your trip!!

Hi DeeT, how was your cabin? Were there any noise issues at all? I am looking at the cabins right around yours for our cruise next summer. Also, were there any issues with people smoking on their balconies (even though it's not allowed)?

sorry to not have responded sooner! Busy catching up with work.

Our cabin was great! No issue with noise or smoke. We liked the location as well. Didn't feel the ship moving at all.