Wanting to "prank" my teen boys during our cruise..

Do not do the pool prank, the point is to have fun, not ruin everyone elses vacation by getting the pool shut down and if you put anything I the pool it will get shut down. You may find yourself in a bit of hot water with the crew too when you admit you are the ones that pulled the prank. Some how I don't think the cruiseline would be too happy if they had the drain the pool and refill it due to dye in the pool and I'm pretty sure SOP would require it no matter what proof you had it was safe. Might find yourselves put off at the next port.

Don't worry guys. My plan isn't to do anything in the pool. I'm thinking a pocket full of alka-seltzers on a port day. :) Hopefully there will be a lot of fizzing if I can get enough in the pocket without being detectable. I've seen a few different pranks with dye/food coloring... I wouldn't do those, regardless of who or where.

Edited by Ready2Cruise2016

Don't worry guys. My plan isn't to do anything in the pool. I'm thinking a pocket full of alka-seltzers on a port day. :) Hopefully there will be a lot of fizzing if I can get enough in the pocket without being detectable. I've seen a few different pranks with dye/food coloring... I wouldn't do those, regardless of who or where.

Might want to test how the alka seltzer reacts in salt water. I'm assuming you mean for it to go off when he wades into the ocean. Does it react different in salt water than fresh water? I see a science experiment in your future LOL

Thank you. I am relieved to hear it.:o I hope you have a blast with your boys!:D (a non-explosive, completely harmless, non-staining blast)

Might want to test how the alka seltzer reacts in salt water. I'm assuming you mean for it to go off when he wades into the ocean. Does it react different in salt water than fresh water? I see a science experiment in your future LOL

Hey! We homeschool... so it will be a perfect experiment to do with my daughter!! Thanks for the advice. :D

Just remember anything you hide in the pocket of swim trunks needs to be careful not to damage anything delicate, not just the pool or clothing :eek:

:eek: We will also beware of the amount we put in!! good point.

Now that we have had a good discussion of the pros and cons of the food dye/ alka seltzer suggestion, are there other prank ideas floating around in our devious minds. Maybe , you could get a duplicate item (cheap) of one of the boys favorite items.

Spill or render this item less then perfect, let the child vent a little, then produce the magically restored item. As a parent, you can get an extra access card to their room. If your boys sleep as soundly as my son does, you should be able to get in their room when they are sleeping (if they haven't put the security bar across the door) and leave "something" large in the room (maybe a couple of inflatable palm trees etc.).

we took our son on a cruise for his 16th birthday. one of the stops was st marteen. the french side of the island has top optional. he was so excited and could not wait. but from what i read on here it is mostly little old ladies and men. so imagine his face when he thought he was going to see baywatch topless but instead got golden girls :) if you are going to st marteen this would work wonders, but if not you could always fib and tell them one of your stops has a topless beach and then when you get there they will be surprised

Not sure if your boys have been on carnival before or seen a towel person. But if not bring an extra bikini or tutu or very girlie outfit and have the cabin steward make the towel person in the outfit. Make sure to add hat, sunglasses, wig even. They sometimes look very real!!!!

holiday19942_zpsld6eifhw.jpg

<a href=IMG_2594_zpshiooi57a.jpg' alt='IMG_2594_

I liked the one that suggested mentioning the Topless deck.

A fake spider or bug in the shower could be funny.

Maybe an official sign from Housekeeping on their door with hazard tape and tape sealing it - forbidding anyone from entering as it being fumigated for termites or lice.

Warn your cabin neighbors of the prank. :D

As a parent, you can get an extra access card to their room. If your boys sleep as soundly as my son does, you should be able to get in their room when they are sleeping (if they haven't put the security bar across the door) and leave "something" large in the room (maybe a couple of inflatable palm trees etc.).

I like the idea of sneaking in while they are still sleeping. :D That may be the perfect time to fill their bathroom with balloons, or do the balloon "door" in the bathroom!

Not sure if your boys have been on carnival before or seen a towel person. But if not bring an extra bikini or tutu or very girlie outfit and have the cabin steward make the towel person in the outfit. Make sure to add hat, sunglasses, wig even. They sometimes look very real!!!!

We have been on Carnival before but never seen these!!! I'm definitely going to have to do that! :D Thank you!!

Maybe an official sign from Housekeeping on their door with hazard tape and tape sealing it - forbidding anyone from entering as it being fumigated for termites or lice.

Warn your cabin neighbors of the prank. :D

:D:eek::D

When they do it to you, what will you do?

Laugh!! LOL As long as it's all in fun, and not a mean or destructive prank. I fully expect retribution.

Edited by Ready2Cruise2016

Please, for the sake of the other passengers in the pool, and the crew that will have to deal with clean-up, don't take Manmachine's foolish advice about the egg dye tablets! He is wrong - they absolutely do stain permanently! He can call me an idiot all he likes, but I know whereof I speak. I've still got the floor (still own the house, although we no longer live there:o) and some children's clothing to prove it. This particular prank would go against your own parameters of "nothing harmful" and keeping the pranks "innocent". A lot of damage can be done with those dye tablets.:(

Too bad you don't have the Internet...

http://www.thegeekprofessor.com/how-to-get-easter-egg-dye-off-your-hands/

I have cruised a LOT

My daughter loves to eat ice cream cones - not the ice cream, just the sugar cones. I found a letter online that had an official looking logo. I uses it as a water mark and wrote up a fake invoice. Since the cones and ice cream mix were balanced they were expected to be taken together and she would be responsible for the difference. I made up an official looking invoice and put it on the floor on the last day, like someone had slipped it under the door. We got a good laugh out of that.

Fantastic and very original! :D

Too bad you don't have the Internet...

http://www.thegeekprofessor.com/how-to-get-easter-egg-dye-off-your-hands/

I have cruised a LOT

Too bad you don't have reading comprehension skills. Or is it an IQ issue? Or both? I'll repeat myself just for you, since you have such a great attitude towards others: I didn't say our hands were stained. I said my vinyl kitchen flooring and some of my children's clothing were permanently stained. But yeah, you sure got me good with that zinger, Skippy.:cool: Boy, don't I feel dumb!:rolleyes:

(And you're the one calling others idiots.:rolleyes:)

Go on and keep digging that hole, Manmachine.

Too bad you don't have reading comprehension skills. Or is it an IQ issue? Or both? I'll repeat myself just for you, since you have such a great attitude towards others: I didn't say our hands were stained. I said my vinyl kitchen flooring and some of my children's clothing were permanently stained. But yeah, you sure got me good with that zinger, Skippy.:cool: Boy, don't I feel dumb!:rolleyes:

(And you're the one calling others idiots.:rolleyes:)

Go on and keep digging that hole, Manmachine.

Now I know why your beef is shaky. And that is probably how the floor really got stained. Did you TRY the baking soda, at least?

I have cruised a LOT

Now I know why your beef is shaky. And that is probably how the floor really got stained. Did you TRY the baking soda, at least?

I have cruised a LOT

Wow, you just keep getting more and more charming. And I wouldn't have guessed it was possible.:rolleyes:

FYI, I tried much more than baking soda. Although I may not be able to hold a candle to your dizzying intellect, Googling ability, social graces, and charm, I'm no neophyte in the field of cleaning and stain removal.:cool:

Face it: you're wrong. In some cases, on some surfaces, PAAS does indeed stain permanently, unlike you so eloquently announced when you said:

"Before any idiots start flaming me... Yes, the Easter egg dye is food grade, biodegradable, and non-permanent."

...And it would be obnoxiously irresponsible to pull such a prank as the one you so proudly touted in any cruise ship pool.

Here are some more tips. You SURE it was Easter egg dye that lingered for years?

http://www.fromthefloorsup.com/2010/03/how-to-remove-easter-egg-dye-stains-from-carpet/

Just trying to help your trauma.

Oh my, I'm flattered that you're so concerned with the old stains on the old floor of the old house that I don't live in anymore. You're spending so much of your valuable time on my trauma. Such a charming, considerate gentleman.:o

Look, Jack, I don't know how to get through to you: yes, it was Easter egg dye, PAAS brand. Yes, I'm sure. And I'm sure it's still there, as of a couple weeks ago when I was last at the house. I attempted all the recommended stain removal strategies and much more. I'm not the idiot here, I know what I'm talking about and I know how to remove stains. As long as it is possible to remove them. Some stains are permanent. Like egg dye, in some cases. Get it?

Your oh-so-thoughtful attempts at helping me remove decade-old stains, although touching, is not going to change the fact that the prank you suggested is quite possibly a very harmful one, and so a very inconsiderate one.