USB port on TV's in Royal Suite?

zelker

Wondering if we're likely to be able to plug a thumb drive directly into one of the two TV's in our Royal Suite (on Equinox) to show photos? We're not taking a laptop and of course iPads don't have that capability so hoping that there is a USB port on the TV itself.

Thx for any help/info.

Wondering if we're likely to be able to plug a thumb drive directly into one of the two TV's in our Royal Suite (on Equinox) to show photos? We're not taking a laptop and of course iPads don't have that capability so hoping that there is a USB port on the TV itself.

Thx for any help/info.

Usually there isn't anyway to switch inputs on the TV. They usually supply a generic simple remote.

I was in the Royal Suite on the Silhouette's 06-Aug-16 sailing (amazing experience). We used an external hard drive connected via the USB on the TV in both the living room and the bedroom to watch our own movies. The previous poster is correct, the generic ship's remote control will not give you access to change the input on the TV to the USB; however, we overcame this by using a Universal Remote App on our cell phone. Additionally, the buttons on the TV itself still worked and allowed us to also change to the USB input.

Ask the butler and they will get you a universal remote to control the various USB and HDMI inputs on the tv. They had to ask Engineering for it.

I did this on a transatlantic to watch movies on my Laptop, had to use the universal remote to switch inputs was all. easy-peasy.

I was in the Royal Suite on the Silhouette's 06-Aug-16 sailing (amazing experience). We used an external hard drive connected via the USB on the TV in both the living room and the bedroom to watch our own movies. The previous poster is correct, the generic ship's remote control will not give you access to change the input on the TV to the USB; however, we overcame this by using a Universal Remote App on our cell phone. Additionally, the buttons on the TV itself still worked and allowed us to also change to the USB input.

Then it seems like plugging a thumb drive directly into the TV "should" work the same.

Two questions - was it an empty port or did you have to unplug something? Which app did you use?

And no question, the RS experience IS amazing! We can't wait to spend all those sea days being spoiled on our TA! :D

THANKS!! :)

Then it seems like plugging a thumb drive directly into the TV "should" work the same.

Two questions - was it an empty port or did you have to unplug something? Which app did you use?

And no question, the RS experience IS amazing! We can't wait to spend all those sea days being spoiled on our TA! :D

THANKS!! :)

It was an empty port in both the bedroom and the living room, no need to unplug anything.

The App was pre-loaded on my phone, called Quick Remote. I did have to do some set-up to pair the remote to the TV - but it worked perfectly once that was done.

During our pre-cruise arrangements, we asked the shore-side concierge if there was a DVD player in the suite. I had read a lot about the suite, but couldn't remember if there was/wasn't one available, and it doesn't hurt to ask - right? She replied that she was unsure, so we brought the hard drive and a few DVDs just in case. Nothing was set up when we arrived, so we figured there wasn't one available and used the hard drive. As this was no problem at all for us, we didn't even mention it to the butler when he asked if everything was okay with the room. On the 3rd day of the cruise, our butler surprised us by having someone from engineering come and connect a ship's laptop to the TV for us to use as a DVD player (it was actually labeled "for suite use only - DVD player"). On this sailing, the engineer could not find the other remote control for the TV and suggested we just use the buttons on the TV to change inputs. Again - amazing experience!

Enjoy your TA!

I

During our pre-cruise arrangements, we asked the shore-side concierge if there was a DVD player in the suite. I had read a lot about the suite, but couldn't remember if there was/wasn't one available, and it doesn't hurt to ask - right?!

My first sailing as in 2013. At that time the PH and RS had laptops and DVD players (this was on Connie). Connie was solsticized later that year, and my next sailing on Connie, the laptops and DVD players were no more. I suspect they still have them around (likely where the laptop they let you borrow came from...).

It was an empty port in both the bedroom and the living room, no need to unplug anything.

The App was pre-loaded on my phone, called Quick Remote. I did have to do some set-up to pair the remote to the TV - but it worked perfectly once that was done.

During our pre-cruise arrangements, we asked the shore-side concierge if there was a DVD player in the suite. I had read a lot about the suite, but couldn't remember if there was/wasn't one available, and it doesn't hurt to ask - right? She replied that she was unsure, so we brought the hard drive and a few DVDs just in case. Nothing was set up when we arrived, so we figured there wasn't one available and used the hard drive. As this was no problem at all for us, we didn't even mention it to the butler when he asked if everything was okay with the room. On the 3rd day of the cruise, our butler surprised us by having someone from engineering come and connect a ship's laptop to the TV for us to use as a DVD player (it was actually labeled "for suite use only - DVD player"). On this sailing, the engineer could not find the other remote control for the TV and suggested we just use the buttons on the TV to change inputs. Again - amazing experience!

Enjoy your TA!

I have a Quick Remote on my phone but I didn't know I could use it the way you described.

Thanks for that info!

Are you planning to stream Netflix? If so you might not have a possibility of doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I read several threads from RCCL passengers using their iPad to stream Netflix by using an Apple Digital AV Adapter. The Adapter has a lightning connector on one end and a HDMI adapter on the other.

It was an empty port in both the bedroom and the living room, no need to unplug anything

Enjoy your TA!

I am technologically challenged so I need to ask you, what kind of hard drive did you bring along? Do you think my Amazon TV would work instead of a hard drive?

Well If I got this correct,

with my previously downloaded movies to my IPAD and an HDML converter for my ipad and my own HDML male-male cable, I just need to ask for a universal remote from the Stewart or even better download a universal remote app and I'm good to go?

Perfect summary. Yes.

Are the shows pre-pre-recorded are you tried to stream them live through the Internet?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Stream them live. I'm sailing on Allure of the Seas next month and will report back whether my iPad adapter works for Netflix and Amazon. I'm also taking my Amazon Fire TV stick to try if the adapter doesn't work.

I don't remember what brand of tv Celebrity has. Does anyone know? I know RCCL has Samsung and I plan to hook up my iPad on my upcoming sailing to view Netlix with my Samsung remote to change the input.

Celebrity uses Samsung TV's. For those who don't know there is a power button bottom right that works as a toggle. Press it once the choose Input from the up and down - Press up and down to select desired input. This works unless the TV is hotel mode and they have the ports disabled.

I have a Samsung at home and use it all the times when I am too lazy to walk across the room to grab the remote.

I read several threads from RCCL passengers using their iPad to stream Netflix by using an Apple Digital AV Adapter. The Adapter has a lightning connector on one end and a HDMI adapter on the other.

Yeah, I read the same about live netflix streaming not working on the ship network. Not like at home with your apple TV or Chromecast. Definately easier than cable connecting via HDML but will be set for both.

Don't cha love the persons who feel superior enough that they poo poo anothers use of their computer/internet on a cruise ship ? The most favorite thing for us is we sit on the deck, with a cocktail, read the news, our favorite blogs (like this one) and comment on them.. :D:D