Credit Card Hacked

CAIQUEMAN

Hi Everybody,I just thought i would post an experience i had early this year.On returning from a P&O cruise a few weeks later i checked my credit card online and could see there were fraudulent transactions on it,well i stopped the card spoke with the fraud dept and they asked if i would mind speaking to the vendor about these transactions which i agreed to.I received a call from the vendor who informed me after i convinced them i did not make these transaction that my card had been used to hire a luxury yacht in Amsterdam to the tune of £7000,they also informed me they had a picture of the front and rear of my credit card.Now at the time i thought that was impossible,but i had been on this cruise and when you check in before going on the ship they take pictures and this is the only way possible that there could be a picture of my card,oh and when i eat out i always pay cash.Has anybody else been hacked in a similar situation.I awate with interest!

We recently had a credit card hacked that had not left our bedroom drawer for over 2 years. It was used in the USA to book 2 flights and a couple of other transactions. Whilst there are many ways to obtain your details to complete fraudulent transactions it it would seem that you do not need the card to do it. We went through a process of trying to identify the suspect or company responsible. The credit card company were very quick to right off the debt, which at the time gave us some relief, then it suddenly dawned on us with a few hints from the credit card fraud officer that the card was probably not used in any way. The main purpose of my reply is to share our experience and whilst I don't read into your post that you imply a source of your concern others may, time will tell.

Several years ago, whilst on a cruise in the Med on Arcadia, my card was used in New York to buy sports gear for around £700. I had booked a hotel over the phone pre cruise and given my cc number to reserve a room, the bank refunded within 3 days.

Recently returned from Princess cruise where my card was registered with them as normal. Final bill was paid with no problems then about 10 days later received an e-mail from Amazon in US not UK. Have an account with Amazon UK but not used it for about 2 yrs and never used Amazon US. The e-mail was for an item purchased from a US company but said the bill was "Pending for payment" and was about to delete it as a scam when on the the bottom of the e-mail was my name and card number with last 4 numbers showing and were the correct ones. I panicked contacted my bank and then contacted Amazon UK sent them a copy of the e-mail and told them I had not authorised or purchased item. It has worried me into thinking that the only people had access to my details was on Princess cruises and a big coincidence it happened having only just returned from cruise and with a bill from a US companY.

I only use Atm's inside the banks in the UK and i never buy anything with my card when i am on a cruise off ship,and never use banks off ship either.When you think of the poor wages they pay staff it does not surprise me that this happens.The other day i spoke to somebody locally who had their CC hacked in the same way just off a cruise.

I would think with photoshop it would be easy for a thief who knew your card and bank info to make a "photo" of your credit card

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Viv0828

Now at the time i thought that was impossible,but i had been on this cruise and when you check in before going on the ship they take pictures and this is the only way possible that there could be a picture of my card
. This sounds remarkably like an accusation that somehow P&O staff have acted fraudulently. I would be very careful about making a statement like this unless there is a cast-iron case that nobody else in the world could have got the card information (ie the only time the card was used was with P&O). And if there is such a cast-iron case, the first thing to do is contact the police.

I had an incident a few years ago after returning from a cruise. Firstly I would point out that we did not register my card on the ship. However, I did use it to pay for part of the cruise.

I tried to use my card for an online order and it was declined. I phoned my card provider and was asked various security questions, address, dob etc. I was then told that I had failed the security and would need to go into any branch of Barclays Bank to prove my identity. I did this and provided passport, driving licence and a recent credit card statement. At this point it became clear that the address had been changed on my account to an address in Southampton which is why I failed the security. Another card had been sent to the 'new' address.

It was passed to the fraud department and I was issued a new card. I spoke to the fraud department and asked how they could allow someone else to change my address details and I was assured that they passed the security.

Whoever it was knew address, dob etc.

The next time that I paid for a cruise using credit card, the system had changed, the card details had to be keyed in on the phone so the operator did not know these details. Make of this whatever you like, but it suggests to me that a 'problem' had been uncovered.

Val

I had an incident a few years ago after returning from a cruise. Firstly I would point out that we did not register my card on the ship. However, I did use it to pay for part of the cruise.

I tried to use my card for an online order and it was declined. I phoned my card provider and was asked various security questions, address, dob etc. I was then told that I had failed the security and would need to go into any branch of Barclays Bank to prove my identity. I did this and provided passport, driving licence and a recent credit card statement. At this point it became clear that the address had been changed on my account to an address in Southampton which is why I failed the security. Another card had been sent to the 'new' address.

It was passed to the fraud department and I was issued a new card. I spoke to the fraud department and asked how they could allow someone else to change my address details and I was assured that they passed the security.

Whoever it was knew address, dob etc.

The next time that I paid for a cruise using credit card, the system had changed, the card details had to be keyed in on the phone so the operator did not know these details. Make of this whatever you like, but it suggests to me that a 'problem' had been uncovered.

Val

Thats interesting. I have been following a thread on a Facebook cruising page where a ladies daughter and her boyfriend had been swindled out of the money that they paid for a P&O cruise. The boyfriends Dads partner worked for P&O at Southampton and had supposedly booked a cruise for them. Turns out she never booked the cruise and after an internal investigation the staff member was sacked. I wonder if it could have been the same person in your case accessing customers details ?

Thats interesting. I have been following a thread on a Facebook cruising page where a ladies daughter and her boyfriend had been swindled out of the money that they paid for a P&O cruise. The boyfriends Dads partner worked for P&O at Southampton and had supposedly booked a cruise for them. Turns out she never booked the cruise and after an internal investigation the staff member was sacked. I wonder if it could have been the same person in your case accessing customers details ?

I will never know the answer to that one. Credit card fraud departments do not share information. I told them that their security questions were all too obvious so now have agreed a password with them in case I need to phone. I don't use that credit card much now as I felt very angry with the way it happened in the first place and the way it was dealt with.

Val

I think all organisations can be exploited by unscrupulous employees, especially if relying on agencies to carry out checks. I know in our area some time ago this was a problem in petrol stations snd as someone has said fraud can also happen when using cash points. I try to never allow my card out of sight, preferably not out of my hand - when you think about it there should be no reason for this to happen - never feel embarrassed to challenge.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Florry

Regarding mrsvemb's post, I haven't quoted it as its already been quoted; my daughter works for Barclays and tells me that they get calls every day about this type of fraud. They are currently working on a backlog of cases. She advised me, and I complied, to get a credit card protector. People can walk past you and grab your details using some sophisticated piece of equipment. You wouldn't know it has happened. The protectors make sure your cards can't be read. They are available on the Amazon web site and are very cheap. Not everyone is as honest as us so make it hard for them!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi Everybody,I just thought i would post an experience i had early this year.On returning from a P&O cruise a few weeks later i checked my credit card online and could see there were fraudulent transactions on it,well i stopped the card spoke with the fraud dept and they asked if i would mind speaking to the vendor about these transactions which i agreed to.I received a call from the vendor who informed me after i convinced them i did not make these transaction that my card had been used to hire a luxury yacht in Amsterdam to the tune of £7000,they also informed me they had a picture of the front and rear of my credit card.Now at the time i thought that was impossible,but i had been on this cruise and when you check in before going on the ship they take pictures and this is the only way possible that there could be a picture of my card,oh and when i eat out i always pay cash.Has anybody else been hacked in a similar situation.I awate with interest!

I'm always careful with my credit cards and Ive never had occasion at a P&O check-in to believe my card was 'photographed'.

I've watched it being swiped through a terminal but that only reads the cards digital information and doesn't take a photograph.

Regarding mrsvemb's post, I haven't quoted it as its already been quoted; my daughter works for Barclays and tells me that they get calls every day about this type of fraud. They are currently working on a backlog of cases. She advised me, and I complied, to get a credit card protector. People can walk past you and grab your details using some sophisticated piece of equipment. You wouldn't know it has happened. The protectors make sure your cards can't be read. They are available on the Amazon web site and are very cheap. Not everyone is as honest as us so make it hard for them!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am of the opinion the protection you are talking about is a device that will act as a RFID blocker.

With the introduction of contactless payment, thieves are adapting to come up with new methods to steal your personal data and information. On most new credit or debit cards you will have a wireless symbol which informs you that your card uses RFID technology.

While this is a much easier way of paying small amounts it comes with security risks, as a criminal could create a RFID reader with minimal effort and steal your details.

I'm not 100 per cent certain but I'm pretty sure there are low limits on this method of using a credit card (around £25.00) and nothing like the £7K that paid for the OP's yacht

Transactions above the RPID limit still require either a pin number or other form of authorisation.

• 2 weeks later...
I will never know the answer to that one. Credit card fraud departments do not share information. I told them that their security questions were all too obvious so now have agreed a password with them in case I need to phone. I don't use that credit card much now as I felt very angry with the way it happened in the first place and the way it was dealt with.

Val

When Ive spoken with my bank on the phone they ask me my DOB my reply is I know it but you tell me then I know you are who you say you are so we agreed to do half of it each... works well . You can always ask them something only they would know. The lady I spoke to seemed to do this often.

How would an employee see the card details unless they gave them over the phone maybe..?

This is why I laugh when people say they wont say on a forum or on a FB cruise group they are about to go away because thieves can target you on line and forget all the staff in a cruise HQ who can see who is away.