Compact Binoculars

candydane

I plan ro purchase a pair of lightweight small size binoculars for cruising and use to view wildlife in our backyard.

I am debating between these binoculars:

• Bushnell Legend Ultra HD 10 x 25 Binoculars
  • Alpen 10x25 Wings ED HD Compact Binoculars

Both seem to have the same basic specs., size, and quality from what I can find on the internet. Unfortunately neither are available locally to try & compare.

Can anyone comment on which is best? Any comments on probable quality?

I have a few pairs of pretty decent 8x25 and 10x25 compadt binoculars but after doing a bit or research, found that for Alaska, larger objective lenses seem to be better for a wider field of view and brighter image.

Now shopping for a 10x40 to 12x50 pair.....

I actually bought the Bushnell Legend Ultra HD 10 x 25 binoculars for our upcoming Alaska trip. I will report back on how they worked on when I return on the 19th.

I tested them in the store before I bought them and they seemed to be great for a compact set. They are not going to compare to a high-end professional pair that can go for hundreds of dollars but I figured they would be better than nothing for the trip. I can't see paying a lot for binocs unless one is a very avid outdoorsman or true nature traveller.

The Bushnells are a great size and I plan to use them for the opera as well since they are discreet enough and can fit into a pocket [or large clutch bag]. In fact, I had a quite funny salesman at the sporting goods store when I told him this. He was a large, burly man who said [with a complete straight face]: "These are perfect for your needs. I have a feeling you go to the opera far more than you will be in the wilderness" :D

• 3 weeks later...

DH just bought my daughter a pair of ZRS10x32 binoculars. It is so light that I can compare that to one of our older 10x25 compact binoculars. The brightness is actually better than my now 9 year old VISTA binoculars.

http://www.zen-ray.com/shop/binoculars/zrshd/zrshd10x32.html

We used the $20 off coupon (I think the code is SAVE20)

• 2 months later...
DH just bought my daughter a pair of ZRS10x32 binoculars. It is so light that I can compare that to one of our older 10x25 compact binoculars. The brightness is actually better than my now 9 year old VISTA binoculars.

http://www.zen-ray.com/shop/binoculars/zrshd/zrshd10x32.html

We used the $20 off coupon (I think the code is SAVE20)

Does the coupon still work? My brother's family just booked their first Alaska cruise for 2017. Thinking about ordering a pair of binoculars for them.

We've had small pairs of binocs - 10x25 & 12x25 - for decades and found them useful for our land-based vacations, but MUCH less useful when cruising. We considered a 7x50 pair, ended up compromising on an 8x40 Celestron from Amazon a couple of years ago (still under $30 now) - HUGE improvement.

Weighs barely less than both compact pairs combined, but actually feels more easily handled due to being physically better shaped for handling - holding them up for several minutes at a time watching for whales is quite feasible without strain for my wife and she's quite petite. This brand is, as the name suggests, more known for their astronomical use - and while obviously at those prices they cannot beat the really pricey pairs, they've scored a lot of 'best value' awards for their products.

Due to ship movement - even stabilized - it's very hard with compact binocs, especially at 10x or more zoom, to keep that tiny viewing circle on what you want without it bouncing around. Bigger field of view is very much better, especially for finding things in the first place, or things that come in and out of view like whales.

This year we went whale watching in a tiny boat off the Oregon coast and even the 8x40s were no good in the large waves - I'm planning to pick up a pair of 7x50s for the future.

I actually bought the Bushnell Legend Ultra HD 10 x 25 binoculars for our upcoming Alaska trip. I will report back on how they worked on when I return on the 19th.

I tested them in the store before I bought them and they seemed to be great for a compact set. They are not going to compare to a high-end professional pair that can go for hundreds of dollars but I figured they would be better than nothing for the trip. I can't see paying a lot for binocs unless one is a very avid outdoorsman or true nature traveller.

The Bushnells are a great size and I plan to use them for the opera as well since they are discreet enough and can fit into a pocket [or large clutch bag]. In fact, I had a quite funny salesman at the sporting goods store when I told him this. He was a large, burly man who said [with a complete straight face]: "These are perfect for your needs. I have a feeling you go to the opera far more than you will be in the wilderness" :D

How'd they work out for you?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks for all the comments. I decided to order compact binos knowing full size would probably be better quality but also knowing I won't use them as much.

I just ordered a pair compact binos -- Hawke Sport Optics 8x25 Sapphire ED Binoculars Model 39100. I ordered them online from B&H Photo, which is $20 cheaper than anywhere else.

Unfortunately there's no place near that I could try any of the top compact binos so ended up ordering based on research of the value (specs/cost) for the possible compact binos. My other finalist was the Bushnell Legend Ultra HD 8x25 binos.

The Hawke Sapphire ED binos have some good online reviews so here's hoping . . .

My upcoming cruises are So. Caribbean in March and Alaska in June. Meanwhile I'll try them out on our local wildlife: coyotes, rabbits, quail, hawks and bald eagles and some closeups on our resident lizards.

Then I'll post my comments on this thread.

Does the coupon still work? My brother's family just booked their first Alaska cruise for 2017. Thinking about ordering a pair of binoculars for them.

Buying a pair of binocs for anyone else is not a good idea. It is equally dumb to buy binoculars sight unseen on the internet unless you have tried them somewhere else. Everyone has different ideas of what works for them and you have no idea of what they would like. If you insist on paying for them, get them a gift card from a local sporting goods store that has a good selection of binoculars and let them buy them for themselves.

One other thing - cheap binoculars are generally totally junky. With all optical equipment, you generally get what you pay for.

DON

How'd they work out for you?

Perfectly adequate! They served their purpose in Alaska.

I will admit that I am not someone who stood on deck for hours on end peering through binocs but these worked great for the times I needed them. They were very easy to carry around without being burdensome and allowed me to see some of the wildlife more clearly than with the naked eye.

Buying a pair of binocs for anyone else is not a good idea.

It is equally dumb to buy binoculars sight unseen on the internet unless you have tried them somewhere else.

Wow! Really? Dumb to buy a thoughtful gift? Equally dumb to buy something I can't test first? They're just binoculars for goodness sakes!

If the recipient doesn't like the binos they don't have to use them. And they may love them.

Like a lot of the items I buy "sight unseen" on the internet, if they don't work out, I'll return them.

Perfectly adequate! They served their purpose in Alaska.

I will admit that I am not someone who stood on deck for hours on end peering through binocs but these worked great for the times I needed them. They were very easy to carry around without being burdensome and allowed me to see some of the wildlife more clearly than with the naked eye.

Great, thank you!

Those are the ones we have been looking at.

Wow! Really? Dumb to buy a thoughtful gift? Equally dumb to buy something I can't test first? They're just binoculars for goodness sakes!

If the recipient doesn't like the binos they don't have to use them. And they may love them.

Like a lot of the items I buy "sight unseen" on the internet, if they don't work out, I'll return them.

If you had bothered to read my entire post, you will note that I never said that it was a dumb gift. It certainly is not a dumb gift. What I said that buying binoculars without trying them and especially if you buy any cheap optics where manufacturer quality control is minimal is dumb. You will also note that I suggested that the OP purchase a gift certificate for a larger sporting goods store where recipient could go and pick out their own set of binoculars. When I have shopped for binoculars at brick and mortar stores, I have sometimes found that expensive binoculars with excellent reviews just do not work for me because of the size of the binoculars, the inter-ocular distance or one of many other parameters. I have also found that sometimes a set of binoculars that are signficantly cheaper than the ones that I was planning to purchase worked well for me. If I had bought them on line or if someone had bought them for me based on price or reviews, I would have been stuck with a set that were not for me or I would have never known that there was a less expensive alternative.

I will also note that I even with more expensive sets, QC can vary greatly.

I do not mind being criticized but read my posts before you criticize me.

DON

Edited by donaldsc