Grand Turk

Lyn1Lyn

Going on Sunshine on November 11th. We will have with us 5 children, ages 10mos, 3, 7, 10 and 13. (3 adults total)

I hear Grand Turk has a great port with a nice beach and a pool area. Looking to stay low key throughout our vacation. Wasn't really interested in doing any excursions at this port, because it is just sooooo early. (7am arrival). Any tips on how to have fun without being part of the crowd? There will be 2 ships in port as of 11am, and I hear the beach and pool get really crowded.

(crowds give me a bit of anxiety, especially when I have my children with me, mostly for safety reasons)

Just because the ship ports a 7am, doesn't mean you have to get off the ship at 7am. We got off the ship around 11, my wife went to Jack's Shack with some friends and I went on a private dive. As far as crowds, it's very crowded at both Jacks and Margaritaville. Some people went to a resort and did a one day all inclusive.

Last time we were in Grand Turk, we took a horseback ride in the morning through Sunset Tours. Booked in advance online - no deposit required. Paid in cash the morning of the ride. They offer different rides & times. Afterward we walked down to Jack's Shack. It's a bar with food, nice beach and Topher the dog. There is another dog, but I don't remember the name. Anyway, they are fun to play with on the beach. Jack's Shack has a FB page if you want to check out the pics.

If you want to get away from the crowds, just walk further down the beach. Past the area near the dock with all of the chairs, but before Jack's Shack. When I was there last month, that whole area was pretty much empty. It was like I had the whole beach to myself. Near Jack's Shack there was a handful of people, but still not many.

Of course this was with only one ship in port (the Conquest), but I can't imagine that it would be much different with two. Everyone seems to like to stick to the pool area, or the beach area right next to the dock (which isn't as nice as further down the beach).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The pool/margaritaville will be very crowded with 2 ships in port. So will the portion of the beach immediately to your left when walking down the dock. If you head far down the beach there is still lounge chairs, it's very quiet, and the water is actually nicer down that way.

I don't know if you have looked at any pictures, or googled the cruise terminal. When you get off there will be the large pool area to your left, as well as a free beach with plenty of chairs. The pool area is really large, and I'm pretty sure you find chairs there, or at the beach if you get off before say 9am.

If you go to the right, there will be another beach. It is usually very empty, because it is not as nice. It is definitely quieter, and I doubt there will be a crowd on that side. It is front of the NASA exhibit.

If you get your fill of the beach, get back on the ship for lunch. It will likely be empty and the kids can go to the pool or sports deck.

I'm running into the same problem with this port, it seems like it's going to be so crowded when we are there in April. Over 6,000 people and the other ship gets there an hour before us. This is our first time there so I hate for it to be a jump off and on port but I think that might be how it turns out. I'm just not into fighting crowds, not my thing. Plus we are only in port from noon to 6 so not worth paying for an all inclusive.

Think we'll check out the NASA exhibit and maybe call that a day.

I'm running into the same problem with this port, it seems like it's going to be so crowded when we are there in April. Over 6,000 people and the other ship gets there an hour before us. This is our first time there so I hate for it to be a jump off and on port but I think that might be how it turns out. I'm just not into fighting crowds, not my thing. Plus we are only in port from noon to 6 so not worth paying for an all inclusive.

Depending on how many people you have, you can rent a golf cart for a pretty reasonable price. Book it in advance though. The island is not very big, and you can site see the quite a bit with the golf cart.

if crowds make you anxious, you can rent a cabana at margaretaville- if the crowds get to much just head into your air conditioned cabana for some quiet time. if you dont do that the beach on the right of the pier seems to have less people. farther from margaretaville and alcohol.

Stay on the ship, it will be the best time for the kids to enjoy the water slides while the majority of the people will be off the ship. The ship will be docked right next to the beach so you will be very close to the action with plenty of your own space plus your food will be paid for! That said, grand Turk is a nice beach day and there is plenty of chairs and room for all.

Honestly, I wasn't impressed with the NASA exhibit. There's not a lot there, but does include some interesting information, if you're into that kind of thing. Just in front of the exhibit is a smaller beach area with a couple rows of beach chairs under the trees. This is where we went to snorkel. Only a few people there, quiet, and saw enough sea life underwater to make it all worth it. We didn't venture any farther down the beach (to the south) but it's to my understanding that there's some nice areas in that direction. Plus the "conch graveyard" where the eateries harvest the conch, then dump the shells on the beach is about a 15 minute walk to the south. We're looking to make Grand Turk a stop on our next cruise, too, and will definitely head in that direction to check it out.

I think everyone will enjoy the NASA exhibit for sure. But I know oldest DD will definitely want to check out the beach also so we'll wander further up a little. I don't think anyone will want to go in but a walk along the beach will make her happy if it's not too crowded. The conch graveyard sounds cool, maybe we'll check that out.

Then we can pop back on board for an early dinner before it gets too crowded.

Any idea how much the golf carts are? How do i go about renting one? is this something I do on the ship?

I have never seen them offered as a cruise line excursion. You book them on your own.

You can google Grand Turk Golf Cart rental, and just check out the links. You can also use the Search bar here on Cruise Critic and search Grand Turk Golf Cart Rental. You'll find a few suggestions.

Or... Start a new thread in the Grand Turk forum, "Who do use for Golf Carts in Grand Turk" you'll probably get some suggestions.

We use the links at https://www.visittci.com/grand-turk/getting-around

It will probably be $90 for the day. I don't remember if you can do a half day rental.

Good Luck, Have fun.

Just because the ship ports a 7am, doesn't mean you have to get off the ship at 7am. We got off the ship around 11, my wife went to Jack's Shack with some friends and I went on a private dive. As far as crowds, it's very crowded at both Jacks and Margaritaville. Some people went to a resort and did a one day all inclusive.

COEVAN,

Can you give me info about your dive? It's been 10 years since I dove, one excursion required a logged dive within 2 years.

thanks

Edited by jac-3

• 3 weeks later...

This is such an easy and cheap port. I have a few reviews in my signature line from this port. First time we just hung out at the beach and then at the pool, then headed down to the conch graveyard.

Second time we rented a golf cart and drove around the island and hit up BOHIO beach and Governors Beach and it was amazing.

This is such an easy and cheap port. I have a few reviews in my signature line from this port. First time we just hung out at the beach and then at the pool, then headed down to the conch graveyard.

Second time we rented a golf cart and drove around the island and hit up BOHIO beach and Governors Beach and it was amazing.

Just read your review of Grand Turk and I LOVE it. Thanks! Would you say you could walk down to governors beach or should we arrange for some type of transportation?

Just read your review of Grand Turk and I LOVE it. Thanks! Would you say you could walk down to governors beach or should we arrange for some type of transportation?

You could walk down if you wanted, however, you can't do it by going the beach route (at least that's what I had read and what it looked like to me) You would have to go out of the port and walk down the street. :) I personally would probably catch a cab or something, but you would have to make arrangements with them to come back to get you. Otherwise, just rent a golf cart and come and go as you please. :p

Going on Sunshine on November 11th. We will have with us 5 children, ages 10mos, 3, 7, 10 and 13. (3 adults total)

I hear Grand Turk has a great port with a nice beach and a pool area. Looking to stay low key throughout our vacation. Wasn't really interested in doing any excursions at this port, because it is just sooooo early. (7am arrival). Any tips on how to have fun without being part of the crowd? There will be 2 ships in port as of 11am, and I hear the beach and pool get really crowded.

(crowds give me a bit of anxiety, especially when I have my children with me, mostly for safety reasons)

My first thought for you would be to rent a poolside cabana at Margaritaville, since your kids are fairly young. (They might all be sold out for your ship, but if not, I'd go ahead and reserve one just in case; you can always cancel it more than two days out from your cruise.) That would put you nice and close to the pool -- which is really nice -- but on the other side of the pool from the main bar. It's also an easy walk from there to the beach in case your kids want to go enjoy the ocean, and you can lock your stuff in the cabana while you're away.

If not a cabana, you could just grab some lounge chairs on the cabana side of the pool, which stays less crowded than the bar side. Since you're arriving early you should be able to get something.

If you just want a beach area with less crowds....as others have said, the beach south of the pier (to the right as you walk through DuFrys) is less developed and less crowded....or alternately the beach past Margaritaville but before Jack's Shack might have free loungers and is less crowded....plus you can walk over and introduce your kids to Topher the dog, unless he introduces himself first. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Can you give me information on the private dive? I might want to to a 1 tank dive there. Wife doesn't dive so would want to spend the rest of the time doing stuff with her. Any suggestions or info would be appreciated.

There is a dive shop at Jack's. Unfortunately, I don't remember the name of the dive company. My hubby & his friend went on a dive booked through the ship. Since they knew we women were going to Jack's, they just stayed on the boat instead of going to the ship pier, making it quicker for us to meet up. Maybe you can google it?

Wait, it was Oasis - found it on an old spreadsheet!

Edited by dmdiver