cruising after WLS, wondering about soda package

minfit

Hello everyone, I am new here so please be kind if I am in the wrong place or asking a question that has been asked a thousand times...

We will be on the veendam, HA, going to Bermuda in May of 2017, a soda package was one of the perks we got when we booked our cruise, since I can't have anything with carbonated water or caffeine, I am wondering if there will be anything on the ship I can drink that I can take advantage of the perk..

For those that don't know WLS, is weight loss surgery.

Hoping for crystal light or protein drinks...HOPING!!!

Welcome to Cruise Critic. You may want to ask this question on the HAL board as well.

I am not aware of HAL having any Unlimited Soda Packages. If the perk you received is a credit for X-dollars worth of sodas, you may be able to convert it into OBC. Best to ask your travel agent (I assume that is who gifted you this item) if they can do it before you sail, or else you may be able to get its selling value (not the value of the sodas) credited back if you never use it onboard.

And as a personal aside: I cruised eight months after R-n-Y surgery (that was 9 years ago when that version of WLS was still common). I took along packets of Crystal Light to have something to drink besides ice tea as I wasn't yet back to hot coffee or tea. I have never seen sugar-free fruit punch or sports or energy drinks on any cruise ship. It certainly was the least amount I have eaten on a cruise before or since, but I never felt I was missing anything. Except of course the foods I was not yet able to tolerate at that point--mainly raw vegetables. Was tough to be on a very-small-portions diet without any salads!

Welcome to Cruise Critic. You may want to ask this question on the HAL board as well.

I am not aware of HAL having any Unlimited Soda Packages. If the perk you received is a credit for X-dollars worth of sodas, you may be able to convert it into OBC. Best to ask your travel agent (I assume that is who gifted you this item) if they can do it before you sail, or else you may be able to get its selling value (not the value of the sodas) credited back if you never use it onboard.

And as a personal aside: I cruised eight months after R-n-Y surgery (that was 9 years ago when that version of WLS was still common). I took along packets of Crystal Light to have something to drink besides ice tea as I wasn't yet back to hot coffee or tea. I have never seen sugar-free fruit punch or sports or energy drinks on any cruise ship. It certainly was the least amount I have eaten on a cruise before or since, but I never felt I was missing anything. Except of course the foods I was not yet able to tolerate at that point--mainly raw vegetables. Was tough to be on a very-small-portions diet without any salads!

OP said, he/ she cannot have c aebvorws derinks or caffeine. Good luck, OP..

WLS patients cannot have Lemonade. It is full of sugar. Excess amounts of sugar can make you very sick, with diabetic shock type of symptoms including heart palpitations, sweats, nausea, etc.

I guess most of us have never had WLS so it would be better to spell out the things people cannot have rather then just a general question of things other than soda :rolleyes:

Is this also where you cannot eat solid food as well ???

I have cruised once since WLS and will cruise again in October. There really was not much to drink other than water or decaf tea. I did bring Jolly Rancher no-sugar mixes (like Crystal lite) to add to water for something different. My husband even had the bartender make me up a frozen dacquiri-type drink using just the slushy ice and my Jolly Rancher green apple crystals (yummy!). I've never travelled HAL, but if you can bring a case of water, then do that and refill your room fridge each day with a couple. I managed the food fine, because there is so much selection in the dining room and the buffet. I just stopped eating once full and did not overdo it.

Just as an aside, I drink water with the smallest splash of lemonade. It still gives the water a lot of flavor and can't really be adding much in the way of sweeteners. Sorry if that's the wrong info. OP, you could try to get used to those drops people use to flavor water all the time these days- I wish I could remember what they're called but I've seen friends use them. Maybe you'll find one you like and voila, problem solved. Good luck with your cruise!

WLS patients cannot have Lemonade. It is full of sugar. Excess amounts of sugar can make you very sick, with diabetic shock type of symptoms including heart palpitations, sweats, nausea, etc.

What??? Where did you get that info? All WLS / experiences are not created equal. Sugar has never bothered me but pasta and ice cream can make ME very uncomfortable. Everyone is different.

Regarding things to drink on board without caffeine. What I do to avoid caffeine is to make my own ice tea from decaf teabags which are always available. I use 2 bags in one cup of hot water, let it steep than add some ice and more cold water. Not the best but it will do. Do the same thing with coffee. Let it cool than add ice. I also bring crystal light to add to my water bottles. If you can tolerate 2% milk get a carton from the buffet and mix it with some decaf coffee and ice for a really good mocha drink. Have a great cruise!