internet on board

retiredbrit

Have P&O dropped their internet package charges which had a number of minutes for a fixed cost, this could be used over the duration of your cruise.

It seems that now there are three choices (copied from the web) -

The Connect Package - £7.75 for 24 hours (internet messaging, social media)

The Browse Package - browse as you would usually (With the exception of video streaming), plus email and social networks £12.50 for 24 hours (web browsing, email, internet messaging, social media)

The Works - stream YouTube, Spotify and Apple Music, video call, browse, email, and share via social networks £24.95 for 24 hours.

Does this mean that say the Browse Package @ £12.50, lasts for one 24 hour day ie 8 am to 8 am and has to be renewed every day of your cruise

Or

that I have a total of 24 hours usage for one payment of £12.50 split over the cruise (unlikely to be this I suspect).

Usually on board I download emails, log off, write my replies and then log on to send.

I expect to have to check my emails in the terminal buildings

regards Alan

I'm not sure but I'd put money on it being for a given 24 hours, eg Monday - and then you need to pay the same again for Tuesday. It will mean I don't buy any time at all, because this is disproportionately expensive for what I want. I just hope enough people WILL pay it to keep my Carnival share price/dividend bouyant!

It's for 24 hours so if you buy it on a Monday you need to renew on Tuesday even if you have only spent 5 minutes on it in that period.

Also if you want to browse any website (BBC etc) you have to buy the £12.50 package as the lowest is for social media only.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks folks - that's what I thought - so I will be joining the crew in port.

I think the pricing is stupid - This is another reason why I prefer Princess, Celebrity and Regent, their loyalty programs include an amount of free internet time with no restrictions. The P&O discount on on-board spend is not important to us as we spend little on board.

However I see in the Mail on Line today http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-3268288/The-WiFi-tide-turned-Cruise-ship-giant-slashes-internet-charges-90-guests-able-log-just-3-day.html

That Carnival has slashed its internet prices

Hopefully by the time we cruise next year this may have been rolled out

Alan

Edited by retiredbrit
correct web link

Thanks folks - that's what I thought - so I will be joining the crew in port.

I think the pricing is stupid - This is another reason why I prefer Princess, Celebrity and Regent, their loyalty programs include an amount of free internet time with no restrictions. The P&O discount on on-board spend is not important to us as we spend little on board.

However I see in the Mail on Line today http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-3268288/The-WiFi-tide-turned-Cruise-ship-giant-slashes-internet-charges-90-guests-able-log-just-3-day.html

That Carnival has slashed its internet prices

Hopefully by the time we cruise next year this may have been rolled out

Alan

That's almost the same deal as on P&O Full package is still £25.00 a day.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

For me - I dont want to buy a 24 hour access package - lots of people do I am sure.

I only use the internet on holiday in short sessions - The Browse Package - browsing, plus email and social networks £12.50 for 24 hours, I prefer the old costing way buying so many minutes.

In a port intensive cruise you can be off the ship for several hours and not able to get full benefit of your purchased 24 hours.

Our next PandO cruise is in February and it is unlikely we will be P and O'ing again for a long time if ever.

With Princess on a 14 night cruise we get 500 minutes (as a couple) free which is more than enough.

Alan

Stay connected????? At those prices? They cannot be serious, more like stay disconnected.

I spend 5 -10 minutes a day sending and receiving e-mails that's going to work out to £2 a minute.

Someone tell me I'm wrong please, or it will be good bye P&O after the next cruise.

Anyone know what the whole cruse charges are?

I rang P&O customer services this morning and took the “if you want to make a complaint option” and was quickly connected to a customer adviser. We discussed the new package costs I explained how much extra this would cost me to stay in contact with the family (elderly mother, 4 allegedly adult children & 2 dogs cared for by said children) £237 on the new scheme against £35 on the old scheme which I thought was bad enough.

She asked me to detail my complaint in an e-mail and said if they get enough people complaining they would carry out an investigation.

customerservices@pocruises.com

OK you know what to do if you are unhappy with the new charges.

There are two threads on this subject on here

With Princess on a 14 night cruise we get 500 minutes (as a couple) free which is more than enough.

Alan

We usually go with Princess, but they don't have many 14 day cruises, so going with P&O in November, first time since 2008. Think I'm going to miss that 500 minutes of wi-if [emoji17]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

£237?! That's crazy. I remember reading on the FAQ's a few weeks ago after we booked our next cruise that you could use a pay as you go tarrif for something like 50p a minute. If only they'd kept that option open! Having a 14 and 16 year old when we go away next I think we'll get us all a connect package each for each of the 2 sea days. £62 so not that bad - for how much we'd use it it's not actually bad value.

Dan

Edited by danielundecided