Yellow Fever Vaccine question

Happytogo46

I'm looking at the 29 day Amazon cruise leaving Nov.19,2016. I don't want to get the Yellow fever vaccine and Holland America says, if I get a letter on the Doctor's letterhead stating she doesn't want us to have it because of age, that will be sufficient. My questions is has anyone had a problem using this exemption for the yellow fever vaccine. Thank you. I will also post this on roll call for that cruise.

when we retired in 2004 and started seeing the world, we went to county health dept and got every vaccine available. we keep these up to date. we have visited 130 countries. you can go anywhere. plus, you want the protection if you are going to travel. you dont know what you will run into.

I don't want to get the Yellow fever vaccine and Holland America says, if I get a letter on the Doctor's letterhead stating she doesn't want us to have it because of age, that will be sufficient.

I'm not trying to be unkind, and I do understand that there can be serious side-effects from this particular vaccine, but you do understand that you could possibly die during your cruise if you are not vaccinated against this and contract it? When I was in the army in the early 70's, I was given shots for any number of things (including Typhoid, Yellow Fever and two different types of Plague.) "Plague?" I said. "Where the hell are we going that I'm going to be exposed to Plague?" I felt like hell after some of them, but as my First Sgt. said, "Suck it up, son, you'll feel worse if you get these diseases."

Edited by Langoustine

I'm looking at the 29 day Amazon cruise leaving Nov.19,2016. I don't want to get the Yellow fever vaccine and Holland America says, if I get a letter on the Doctor's letterhead stating she doesn't want us to have it because of age, that will be sufficient. My questions is has anyone had a problem using this exemption for the yellow fever vaccine. Thank you. I will also post this on roll call for that cruise.

I don't know your ages but we did the 65 day around South America and as we were in the 60-70 age group and felt it was wise to get the shots {no big deal} and felt it was the right thing to do:) I know this does not answer your question but hope it helps. What is the problem with not getting the vacanation? Hope you have a lovely cruise as it is quite a trip:)

CDC very recently changed its Yellow Fever protocols claiming a single shot once during one's life is adequate; not one every 10 years. HAL had not quite caught up with that new CDC change when I was just recently looking into this myself.

Additionally CDC offers the following guidance on their website:

Is yellow fever vaccine recommended for people 60 years and older who will be traveling to areas with risk for yellow fever?

People aged ≥60 years may be at increased risk for serious adverse events (serious disease or, very rarely, death) following vaccination, compared with younger persons.

This is particularly true if they are receiving their first yellow fever vaccination. Travelers aged ≥60 years should discuss with their healthcare provider the risks and benefits of the vaccine given their travel plans.

In addition to considering the vaccine, travelers to endemic areas should protect themselves from yellow fever and other vector-borne diseases. Preventive measures include wearing clothes with long sleeves and long pants and using an effective insect repellent such as those with DEET, picaridin, IR3535, or oil of lemon eucalyptus.

CDC = US Center for Disease Control - US government agency

http://www.cdc.gov/yellowfever/qa/

Edited by OlsSalt

I can understand your reluctance to have the YF vaccination. I was in my 40's and healthy when I had mine but was unlucky enough to be in the very small percentage to have a serious adverse side affect which now has lifelong health implications. Because of my experience, when I went with some family members and friends to Africa last year, none of them were willing to have the vaccination but were all opting for the medical waiver until the country we were visiting was removed from the YF endemic list by WHO.

Speak to your doctor about the pros and cons of the vaccination and confirm with HAL if a medical waiver is acceptable.

Have seen the waiver successfully used for that cruise but it was due to an immune condition. Unless there are health issues, would recommend getting the vaccine as it is only a very small percentage of people who have any side effects. Totally agree with Bescotti about discussing this with HAL medical as they will have the latest information and will know what is needed.

I have travelled to a few countries that say on their entry requirements that if you have visited any country where yellow fever is occurring within the past six months, you must show your vaccination certificate to enter that particular country even if the disease does not occur in that new country you are entering. They will check your passport for stamps as to where you've been.

According to our local travel health consultant, rules are in the process of changing, but it would be best to check entry requirements for any individual country you are planning to travel to in the future.

In your case, it may not be Holland America's requirement so much as Brazil's which will review the passports/vaccine certificates as the ship enters the country. I know when we did an Amazon cruise in 2010 the ship collected both our passports and vaccine certificates and kept then until the end of the voyage. One couple who tried to check in for the cruise without certificates was denied boarding.

As Bescoti recommended I would talk to your doctor for his/her recommendation. If there are health reasons you cannot safely have the shots then perhaps there will be some form that can be submitted to HAL.

Edited by comcox

I have travelled to a few countries that say on their entry requirements that if you have visited any country where yellow fever is occurring within the past six months, you must show your vaccination certificate to enter that particular country even if the disease does not occur in that new country you are entering. They will check your passport for stamps as to where you've been.

According to our local travel health consultant, rules are in the process of changing, but it would be best to check entry requirements for any individual country you are planning to travel to in the future.

In your case, it may not be Holland America's requirement so much as Brazil's which will review the passports/vaccine certificates as the ship enters the country. I know when we did an Amazon cruise in 2010 the ship collected both our passports and vaccine certificates and kept then until the end of the voyage. One couple who tried to check in for the cruise without certificates was denied boarding.

As Bescoti recommended I would talk to your doctor for his/her recommendation. If there are health reasons you cannot safely have the shots then perhaps there will be some form that can be submitted to HAL.

We did the Amazon on another cruise line two and a half years ago, flying to Rio to begin the three and a half week trip. At no time did anyone ask about yellow fever. At no time did any Brazilian entity ask about yellow fever. The cruise line documents indicated yellow fever shot was recommended. Some on board had taken the shot, some had not.

My neighbor did the Amazon on Princess two years ago and did not take the injection and no one cared.

Brazil requires a visa and that is all anyone cared about.

I'm not sure what set of rules HAL is operating under. Behind the times I would think.

I believe it is not a requirement of Brazil to have the Yellow Fever vaccine, but rather the countries you go to after being in Brazil that require it. If you are going to Devil's Island following the Amazon I think it is required there as you have come from an area where there is Yellow Fever.

Every time we have returned to Australia following being in South America we have had to show our Yellow Fever Certificates.

Edited by kura

I believe it is not a requirement of Brazil to have the Yellow Fever vaccine, but rather the countries you go to after being in Brazil that require it. If you are going to Devil's Island following the Amazon I think it is required there as you have come from an area where there is Yellow Fever.

Every time we have returned to Australia following being in South America we have had to show our Yellow Fever Certificates.

Devils island was on our Amazon itinerary, no one asked or cared about yellow fever for Devils island.

Now that CDC recommendations accept any Yellow Fever inoculation during your lifetime, this website may help you find a record of any prior immunization if you have lost the certificate.

Mine was in approx 1967-69 done on a military base as a dependent. So I am using this website to start the process of tracking it down, if there are any records at all existing from that time. http://www.vaccineinformation.org/finding-vaccine-records/

Could the military itself still have that record still somewhere floating around ...for a dependent? Gotta start somewhere.

We took a cruise around Africa last fall and yellow fever shots were required for our stop in Angola. My doctor gave me a letter stating that yellow fever vaccine was contraindicated for me due to my age. This was a Princess cruise. However, they never asked for the letter or shot record at any time on the cruise. But get the letter just in case.

We did the Amazon on another cruise line two and a half years ago, flying to Rio to begin the three and a half week trip. At no time did anyone ask about yellow fever. At no time did any Brazilian entity ask about yellow fever. The cruise line documents indicated yellow fever shot was recommended. Some on board had taken the shot, some had not.

My neighbor did the Amazon on Princess two years ago and did not take the injection and no one cared.

Brazil requires a visa and that is all anyone cared about.

I'm not sure what set of rules HAL is operating under. Behind the times I would think.

Brazil does NOT require the yellow fever vaccination but French Guinea does so if you are stopping at Devil's Island, you will need the vaccination.

Brazil does NOT require the yellow fever vaccination but French Guinea does so if you are stopping at Devil's Island, you will need the vaccination.

I assume you mean French Guiana.

The linked country list from the WHO is a good reference for all travellers. "The information provided for each country includes the country’s stated requirements for yellow fever vaccination, WHO recommendation for travellers regarding yellow fever vaccinations, details concerning the malaria situation and recommended prevention of the disease, and other vaccination requirements for travellers."

http://who.int/ith/ITH_country_list.pdf

Well I can tell you we stopped at Devils Island in 2014 after being in The Amazon and there was no inquiry into the passenger's yellow fever injection status.

There is currently a North America shortage of Yellow Fever vaccine.

Brazil does not require the vaccine but as others have mentioned other countries may require the certificate if you have visited Brazil. If the travel doctor feels that the vaccine is contraindicated due to medical reasons you will be issued a yellow card that looks similar to the Yellow Fever vaccine certificate saying the vaccine is contraindicated for medical reasons. Good luck.

Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Yippee, going through some old boxes in the garbage this morning I found my Yellow Fever vaccine certificate .... from Jan 1969!

Amazon - Prinsendam, here I come....next year. Thank you CDC for your new one shot lifetime recommendation.

Yippee, going through some old boxes in the garbage this morning I found my Yellow Fever vaccine certificate .... from Jan 1969!

Amazon - Prinsendam, here I come....next year. Thank you CDC for your new one shot lifetime recommendation.

Uhhhh... make that going through old boxes in the garage. (not garbage)

We are in the same situation....my husband also has his old army certificate....he is now 71 and without a spleen and a doctor that absolutely refused to provide a waiver letter. (We are pursuing looking for another doctor) Last year we booked and cancelled a HAL cruise over this after receiving the following from HAL:

"Guests must consult their physician to determine whether he or she believes they have a condition which would prevent them from receiving the Yellow Fever vaccination. If that is their conclusion, guest must obtain a signed letter, on their Doctor’s letterhead, stating their conclusion and the basis for it. Guest must have the original letter with them. All other guests must have original documentation showing they have been immunized within the preceding 10 years, preferably the “International Certificate of Immunization” booklet. Please note photocopies are not acceptable."

I know what the current CDC ruling is, but has this changed for HAL? I contacted them myself and even their own reps don't seem to know what the right answer is......my question is....do you have anything from HAL in writing that accepts the original yellow fever certificate from nearly 50 years ago? Really hoping that is the case.

• 3 months later...

I am in a similar boat, and to me it seems its safer to not get the vaccine. There were 0 reported cases of yellow fever in 2016 in brazil, out of a population of 200 million. Whereas, 1 out of 200,000 people who get the vaccine get viscerotropic disease with a 60% mortality rate. So seems like the odds are better to not get it.

On that note, thinking down the road, if i go to a country that requires a yellow fever vaccine because I have been to Brazil, what is the time limit on that? I cant find any info on that? Is it a week, 6 months, a lifetime? In particular I am curious about the costa rica requirement and Australia. According to the CDC, it states proof of vaccination is only required when ARRIVING from a country like Brazil. Which to me sounds like a short term (1 week requirement). To me that makes sense.

DH and I are no longer able to get the yellow fever shots. We had them but they expired for a Prinsendam cruise.

We were told my HAL -- for a Prinsendam cruise doing the Amazon itinerary that we could bring an official doctor's letters -- BUT -- one of two things could happen: (1) we may be denied boarding the ship by the local authorities or (2) once we got to the Amazon we may not be allowed off the ship in the various ports.

So -- hope you definite answers.

DH and I are no longer able to get the yellow fever shots. We had them but they expired for a Prinsendam cruise.

We were told my HAL -- for a Prinsendam cruise doing the Amazon itinerary that we could bring an official doctor's letters -- BUT -- one of two things could happen: (1) we may be denied boarding the ship by the local authorities or (2) once we got to the Amazon we may not be allowed off the ship in the various ports.

So -- hope you definite answers.

My Doctor said no Yellow Vaccine shot for me, am 80 . Had letter, Never on the entire trip 47 days, was I asked about it or required to show it at any port. It was a total Non-issue.

Well seems like the cruise line rules are as clear as mud sometimes. I had booked an amazon river cruise through Cunard and their own planner that you use to make sure you are ready to go said no vaccinations are required, just the visa. Then I get a notice 7 days before boarding that the yellow fever vaccine is required. Apparently the cruise lines see CDC "recommended" yellow fever vaccine shots as "required". It is not required unless you continue to a country that requires it if you are coming from a yellow fever zone.

Lesson learned