Fort Lauderdale Train Station

MeganEE

Because we go all the way to NYC, we've never sat in the coaches. The cafe food is not great (the Tampa train is the one without the dining car), but for one lunch you would be OK. They do stock decent beer, if that helps.

That helps! One more question: Is there food available in either the FTL or the Tampa station?

That helps! One more question: Is there food available in either the FTL or the Tampa station?

I haven't been in the Tampa station, except to stretch my legs on the platform and take a few pictures. They like to keep stops short, so they ask continuing passengers to stay within sight of the train.

The FLL station is mainly a commuter station, so it doesn't have a lot of amenities. There is an indoor waiting area, but we sat on a bench outside. Last time we were there (year and a half ago), all they had was a few vending machines, but the nice man at the ticket window gave me directions to walk 2-3 blocks to a convenience store. So DH sat with the carry-on luggage while I went on a coffee run. It was a typical gas station convenience store. They had pastries and probably had pre-made sandwiches, too. I think all I bought was coffee.

Because we go all the way to NYC, we've never sat in the coaches. The cafe food is not great (the Tampa train is the one without the dining car), but for one lunch you would be OK. They do stock decent beer, if that helps.

I guess that if you drink enough beer (decent or otherwise), the quality of the food makes no difference. LOL!!

DON

If you are talking about food for the whole trip to New York, you would want more than what might be available at a station kiosk. Take the time to hit a deli and have some sort of container to keep preserve let food decent. 30 hours on snack car food would not be fun .

If you are talking about food for the whole trip to New York, you would want more than what might be available at a station kiosk. Take the time to hit a deli and have some sort of container to keep preserve let food decent. 30 hours on snack car food would not be fun .

I am just thinking about the short trip from FLL to Tampa. I think that the train to New York has a dining car. The prospect of not driving the 4-1/2 hours to FLL and parking the car in a lot or at a motel and worrying about it the whole cruise is very tempting. The train trip itself would take about the same time.

I guess that if you drink enough beer (decent or otherwise), the quality of the food makes no difference. LOL!!

DON

For a while I was doing a lot of runs to Boston on Amtrak for business, and that was my boss's approach! :D

I am just thinking about the short trip from FLL to Tampa. I think that the train to New York has a dining car. The prospect of not driving the 4-1/2 hours to FLL and parking the car in a lot or at a motel and worrying about it the whole cruise is very tempting. The train trip itself would take about the same time.

The trains to NY should have dining cars, but only one does. When they took the dining car off the Star, the Rail Passengers Association (or a similar group) sold cooler bags that said "This is not dinner!" or something like that. They encouraged people to carry their picnic meals in these bags as a protest. They also had a deal to buy a second one for only $1 to send to your congress representative to tell congress to fund Amtrak.

Don't worry too much about the food. It isn't haute cuisine, but it's OK for one lunch. Here's the "enhanced" cafe menu for the Star.

https://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/295/142/Silver-Star-Cafe-Menu-0406.pdf

Hot items are reheated in a microwave, so I'd stick to cold items.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

For a while I was doing a lot of runs to Boston on Amtrak for business, and that was my boss's approach! :D

The trains to NY should have dining cars, but only one does. When they took the dining car off the Star, the Rail Passengers Association (or a similar group) sold cooler bags that said "This is not dinner!" or something like that. They encouraged people to carry their picnic meals in these bags as a protest. They also had a deal to buy a second one for only $1 to send to your congress representative to tell congress to fund Amtrak.

Don't worry too much about the food. It isn't haute cuisine, but it's OK for one lunch. Here's the "enhanced" cafe menu for the Star.

https://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/295/142/Silver-Star-Cafe-Menu-0406.pdf

Hot items are reheated in a microwave, so I'd stick to cold items.

Thanks, Kathy. I can certainly find something to eat (and drink) from that menu. Now . . . we will have to book another cruise for in-or-out-of FLL, so we can take the train. One thing after another . . .

I was looking at both the roomette and the bedroom. Both seem to have a bunk over bunk. How easy is it to climb up to the top one? Is there some kind of ladder?

For the bedroom (bunks at right angle to direction of travel) .you will have a ladder. In the roomette (parallel to direction of travel) there are steps built into the wall of the roomette. In both, you need to be a bit of a contortionist to get into the upper bunk.