Celebrity Solstice Computer Use

Mum81

I'm sorry if this seems like a really stupid question. My husband has just found out he will need to do some work on our transpacific cruise this month. If we buy the unlimited internet package, do we need to bring our own laptop (didn't really want to drag all the way from Australia) or are there computers in the library we can use? If so, will we be able to just plug our USB stick in and access Word documents? Also, around what price should we be paying for an 18 night cruise? It's currently available online for $320 AUD and I don't know if this is a good deal or whether we should wait to purchase onboard (we will be bringing USD in cash with us). Thanks in advance for your help.

I'm sorry if this seems like a really stupid question. My husband has just found out he will need to do some work on our transpacific cruise this month. If we buy the unlimited internet package, do we need to bring our own laptop (didn't really want to drag all the way from Australia) or are there computers in the library we can use? If so, will we be able to just plug our USB stick in and access Word documents? Also, around what price should we be paying for an 18 night cruise? It's currently available online for $320 AUD and I don't know if this is a good deal or whether we should wait to purchase onboard (we will be bringing USD in cash with us). Thanks in advance for your help.

Also, if there are computers for guest use, would I be bale to insert the SD card out of my camera into the computer to upload photographs?

Hello,

There are Apple laptops in a dedicated i-lounge. The negatives are: The lounge is used for IT classes and so the space is not always open for general use; the keyboard keys are almost flush with the surface of the computer and I cannot get on with them; I used to live in Australia but cannot remember the layout of the keys - these have American layout not UK and I get confused; you cannot plug anything in (eg memory stick) as I think you are using a thin client somewhere locked away from prying fingers; everything you do is in 'real-time' so the clock is always ticking as you compose and not just for 'send'; most of the things you see on TV are being streamed to the ship so bandwidth available for computing drops considerably - I always only ever used the computers in port whilst people were ashore.

In summary - my advice is to take your own.

Regards,

Cublet

Edited by cublet
sp

I'm sure there's a pic of the computer suite in my blog just can't find it :o

There are no accessible ports for anything to be connected up as previously mentioned.

There is pervasive wifi so I was able to connect in my room however I preferred to be out and about with a coffee so would sit in the coffee lounge or the library and occasionally even out on deck.

I used the laptop to backup my camera pics then upload them to photobucket.

Be aware on a Transpacific that wifi can be a hit and miss affair due to satellite location.

Solstice has about 20 computers in its lab, so there's always a good supply, especially as many bring their own tablets and similar now.

I've sailed the transpacific and there aren't that many classes, so never had problems getting a session. Maybe an hour a day is taken.

As for the price, it is normally $20US/day, or $10US/day if you're lucky. So getting it at that price is a bargain in comparison. Especially with so many sea days which means lots of time, if you want access, best to snap it up.

In summary - my advice is to take your own.

Regards,

Cublet

I totally agree, especially if you are using the internet for work.

In addition to the reasons already mentioned, other reasons to take your own are simply convenience and familiarity.

You have access to your favorite browser, configured exactly the way you like it.

You have all your own bookmarks and shortcuts and files, arranged the way you want them.

You can use your familiar keyboard shortcuts, knowing that they will work as you expect.

Everything is exactly where you expect it to be, so you don't need to waste time hunting around trying to find things.

You have access to your own preferred word processor, spreadsheet, photo editor, games, ...............etc.

You can save whatever you want right on your own device, which you can use at your own convenience,

even in the middle of the night without needing to first get dressed or comb your hair to leave your cabin and go somewhere else on the ship.

When we first started cruising with Celebrity, the computer lab was contracted to a different company.

They used to give each passenger a certain amount of private "secure" storage on their server where they let you save whatever you wanted.

But they stopped doing that some time ago, along with discontinuing the ability to plug in your own devices.

So now if I want to save something when I use their lab, I either upload it to the cloud, or else send myself a copy.

Doing either can be very slow at times, besides being extremely frustrating, especially when you lose the connection right in the middle of what you are doing and need to start all over again.

Edited by fleckle

If we buy the unlimited internet package, do we need to bring our own laptop (didn't really want to drag all the way from Australia) or are there computers in the library we can use?

You can get really nice backpacks or wheeled carry-ons with laptop compartments so they aren't much of a hassle to take with you.

In addition to the info already provided the ship is cashless so charges are applied to your account and debited to your registered credit card on the last night or you pay with another CC at checkout:)

Admittedly it is three years ago, but we paid out onboard bill in cash on the final evening.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Admittedly it is three years ago, but we paid out onboard bill in cash on the final evening.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I hope we can pay for things by cash (we assumed we would load cash onto our cruise cards on the first day) because we have purchased a very large amount of USD to bring with us. Can someone please confirm this?

I hope we can pay for things by cash (we assumed we would load cash onto our cruise cards on the first day) because we have purchased a very large amount of USD to bring with us. Can someone please confirm this?

Yes, onboard purchases go on to your cabin card. However, you can settle that card with US cash at any time.

Note that if you don't give them a credit card, and make it cash only, you will need to keep settling to keep your account balance under US$500? Alternatively you can just give a credit card number when you check-in, but still pay cash at any time to the end of the cruise. If your balance is 0 at the end your card will not be charged (aside from holds that will drop off).

• 2 weeks later...