Vaccinations Required

Cruzin with BQ & CQ

After wishing for many years, we will be taking a canal cruise from San Diego to Fort Lauderdale in December of 2017. Does anyone know if vaccinations are required? I'm a veteran, so I've had most of them, but I'm thinking about my DW. Required or not, We will most likely get a yellow fever vaccination, but not sure about the rest. Would ship services know? Thanks for your help!

After wishing for many years, we will be taking a canal cruise from San Diego to Fort Lauderdale in December of 2017. Does anyone know if vaccinations are required? I'm a veteran, so I've had most of them, but I'm thinking about my DW. Required or not, We will most likely get a yellow fever vaccination, but not sure about the rest. Would ship services know? Thanks for your help!

No vaccinations are required for a Panama cruise (including Yellow Fever unless you are going into VERY rural/jungle areas).

I would get the Twinrix if you don't have it as a matter of course for the Caribbean.

I guess it depends on where you are going in Panama. If you are staying on or near the ship in the canal zone there is no call for the Yellow Fever shot. I would bring some insect repellent although we never had problems with mosquitoes there.

And Yellow Fever shot is usually not advised for those over 60 due to possible serious side effects in the older population.

For general travel (as well as general living) I think Hep A and B which is now available in the Twinrix shots, and of course tetanus are good things to consider. You can learn more at the CDC website. m--

Edited by RMLincoln

We have done quite a few full transit canal cruises -- they are wonderful.

When we started to travel abroad many years ago, our doctor insisted that we get the Hep A and Hep B shots.

Each year we get a flu shot (just got them this past Wednesday). Also get a pneumonia shot. And make certain that your tetanus shots are up to date -- every 10 years.

You do not need the yellow fever shot.

Agree -- take DEET with you.