Captain's Party

nyfeds

Many of us dont even bother with the greet the guy as it is just PR/BS

and head to the bar for the drinks Being at the bar is better than sitting around at tables as they bring premade drinks of questionable strength...

Good to have the Prem Package and avoid this frenzy for free booze, same with the happy Hour "fressing" ( for you German speakers)

Many of us dont even bother with the greet the guy as it is just PR/BS

and head to the bar for the drinks Being at the bar is better than sitting around at tables as they bring premade drinks of questionable strength...

Good to have the Prem Package and avoid this frenzy for free booze, same with the happy Hour "fressing" ( for you German speakers)

First of all you can order any drink you want from the wait staff at your table. They will give you doubles or even triples if you ask. There does not seem to be any frenzy as most of the bars around the ship are all giving free drinks during the same time. Oceania is very good about this so as not to jam up the one venue from the Captains party. :):):)

Can a drink or glass of wine, gotten at the Captain's Party, be taken into dinner?

Yes, do it all the time. The wait staff will even carry it into dinner for you if they are not too busy. :):):)

Horizons can get packed, therefore the service can become pretty slow for special orders there. That's why we often take whatever special they may be passing around at the time.

Also for the O member parties. Our last cruise the ship had three, since over 70% of the cruisers were repeat customers, and we were assigned an evening. Service can get very slow if your special ordering an concoctions!

I will add that the apps are typically pretty good at both events, so I would either not plan on Specialty that night (Captains Reception) or eat very light!

To a degree Dan is correct. It one is on the Premium Package, it may be less hassle to find a quiet place and enjoy a cocktail than to fight the mob in Horizons.

they usually have free drinks in 3 of the bars

with everyone saying they do not go to the party I wonder why the bars are so full :rolleyes:

If you have the package you still have to wait for service no matter where you go on that evening the waiters are busy circling the room

DH always orders something not on the tray I am ok with a glass of wine

service was not a big issue

Anything? :D

funny+bizarre+signs+-+poop+on+sale.jpg

I think that we all like the idea of a bargain, but in general you get what you pay for.

We book Oceania for its' upscale ambiance, I'm not going to schedule my day around where and when the cheapest drinks are being served.

Anything? :D

funny+bizarre+signs+-+poop+on+sale.jpg

I think that we all like the idea of a bargain, but in general you get what you pay for.

We book Oceania for its' upscale ambiance, I'm not going to schedule my day around where and when the cheapest drinks are being served.

Half price is good if you get what you want for it.. Captains party is when he wants it to be and we can take advantage of the free drinks if the time suits us. You can stay home during those times and pay full price all the other times. Suit yourself. We are happy to get a freebe once in a while.

Half price is good if you get what you want for it.. Captains party is when he wants it to be and we can take advantage of the free drinks if the time suits us. You can stay home during those times and pay full price all the other times. Suit yourself. We are happy to get a freebe once in a while.

Yes, please choose what is most important to you.

For me, however, wrestling with throngs who crowd the Bars and Lounges when the drinks are free or discounted is the antithesis of why I book an Oceania Cruise.

I must say that I would be a better sport about it if they stayed around and socialized with the rest of us afterwards......but few if any ever do. :(

Yes, please choose what is most important to you.

For me, however, wrestling with throngs who crowd the Bars and Lounges when the drinks are free or discounted is the antithesis of why I book an Oceania Cruise.

I must say that I would be a better sport about it if they stayed around and socialized with the rest of us afterwards......but few if any ever do. :(

I think if we start out think more positive about these nights then people will stay and socialize and not run away after their drinks. We do try to stick around and talk for awhile. Nice way to meet new people. Try it, may work. :):):)

i think if we start out think more positive about these nights then people will stay and socialize and not run away after their drinks. We do try to stick around and talk for awhile. Nice way to meet new people. Try it, may work. :):):)

+1 rjb :)

We usually have a specialty booked for 630 or 7 that night. We go there for a drink and to meet up with friends.

It is not a zoo. I don't think people go just because drinks are free. Most people can afford to buy a drink, have a package or a huge obc. It's a tradition

Try it and decide for yourself

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by bitob

I got the impression JimandStan referred to the officers not staying around and socializing with the cruisers after the party ended, rather than the cruisers not socializing with each other.

Several posters on this board lament the lack of shipboard interaction between officers and cruisers. Seems like the back end of the Captain's party would be a perfect time for ice-breaking.

I got the impression JimandStan referred to the officers not staying around and socializing with the cruisers after the party ended, rather than the cruisers not socializing with each other.

Several posters on this board lament the lack of shipboard interaction between officers and cruisers. Seems like the back end of the Captain's party would be a perfect time for ice-breaking.

You can have as much or as little interaction with officers as you want. On some cruises we have more interaction than others. Depends who is on board.

On our last cruise we met the gm at baristas almost every morning. We dined with our favorite cd Julie. When rafaelle cinque is gm we always spend time with him. There is one f&b manager with whom we alwAys dine if he is on board. They are like old friends after a while

Not sure we are interested in hanging out with the hotel manager or chief housekeeper or chief engineer but to each his own

You will hear these same sentiments echoed by those who have many many cruises on Oceania.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sometimes the Captain will have a dinner with some invited guests to attend after the initial meet & Greet & the speaches

I do not care if the top brass socialize with us it is not why we cruise

to some it is important to be in the inner circle