PG versus QG dining post refit

RevCo0219

do many/any singles sail QG?

Hi Janet. Most of my cruises have been as a solo passenger. I have met a lot of single women in the ballroom. As far as I know, only one of those was in QG. (It generally did not come up in conversation so I may have missed a few.) I have made friends with people who were in Inside, Oceanview and Balcony. Britannia restaurant can be wonderful for singles. I have often been put on a large table with lots of other solo passengers.

Diane

Hi Janet. Most of my cruises have been as a solo passenger. I have met a lot of single women in the ballroom. As far as I know, only one of those was in QG. (It generally did not come up in conversation so I may have missed a few.) I have made friends with people who were in Inside, Oceanview and Balcony. Britannia restaurant can be wonderful for singles. I have often been put on a large table with lots of other solo passengers.

Diane

There were four singles at my table in Queens Grill earlier this year + two couples.

This is a great idea. I will remember this one!

My pleasure.

The same can be done for any other offering including the giant beef roasts where chef will carve out a really rare slice or even the limited buffet Sushi offering.

Though of course the latter could easily be pre-ordered when one have a far superior offering than those on offer in the buffet.

There is an old sayingI often quote..."why own a dog and bark yourself"

• 2 weeks later...
That's depressing to hear just as l've committed to a QE cruise later this year, venturing away from my preferred QM2.

What I can say from a post remastering crossing is that the a la carte menu is greatly reduced on QM2 but the effect of that was more than compensated for by their willingness to prepare off menu items for us. A lot of effort went into pleasing us which was hugely appreciated so it will be a big disappointment if that is not replicated on QE. I expect the tone will be set by the Maître D' and head waiters so here's hoping they are pliable.

Food is very subjective l know but l was consistently happy with what was placed in front of me morning, noon and night.

M-AR

We cruised on QE in July and were a little surprised at the much reduced a la carte and the change in the main menu. I can't say we were actively encouraged to order off the menu but neither were we discouraged and as veteran QG'ers we know it's available. I ordered 'off' at least once a day and that order was taken with willingness and the courtesy we have always experienced. Table side preparations were their usual excellent quality.

Knowing these facilities still exist, I don't think you'll be disappointed. We certainly weren't once over the surprise and yes, slight initial disappointment.

As this thread is still going, l thought it worthwhile to say that l've now been on QE and can report complete satisfaction with dining arrangements in QG, if leaving aside the heavy pruning of the a la carte selection from the dinner menu.

The Maître D' and his two assistants were gracious hosts with special requests all provided without question and with willingness. Indeed, after the first special request went in the Maître D' made it clear further requests were welcome.

As a further positive, the weather allowed for a lunch in the little al fresco area, apologies l can't recall what it is called officially, that was a really great experience and one which shall hopefully be repeated.

M-AR

What ARE the prime seating locations in the QG? Are they near the entrance, at the far end of the restaurant? I want to make sure I can identify the truly wealthy Q1 and Q2 pax when I travel, so I can cozy up and ask for an invite to their English countryside manor houses!

What ARE the prime seating locations in the QG? Are they near the entrance, at the far end of the restaurant? I want to make sure I can identify the truly wealthy Q1 and Q2 pax when I travel, so I can cozy up and ask for an invite to their English countryside manor houses!

When I was in the Balmoral Duplex (Q1) I had a table at the far end of the restaurant near the windows facing aft. It was a table for 8.

We were on the QV last January in QG. Thanks to CC for providing the tip to be sure to dine in QG for lunch on the first day. This allowed us to check out our table assignment while there was time to get it changed.

We were glad we did it. Our original table for two was located aft next to the service station. It was very loud at a lightly attended lunch. It was going to be really noisy at dinner. After lunch, we very nicely asked the Maître 'd to change our table to something that wasn't quite so close to the service station. He changed it at dinner that evening without any fuss. The new table was very agreeable. I'm glad we followed the advice.

We were on the QV last January in QG. Thanks to CC for providing the tip to be sure to dine in QG for lunch on the first day. This allowed us to check out our table assignment while there was time to get it changed.

We were glad we did it. Our original table for two was located aft next to the service station. It was very loud at a lightly attended lunch. It was going to be really noisy at dinner. After lunch, we very nicely asked the Maître 'd to change our table to something that wasn't quite so close to the service station. He changed it at dinner that evening without any fuss. The new table was very agreeable. I'm glad we followed the advice.

Did you notice if someone else was moved to the undesirable location ? We've only had a bad table once and it was only our second trip so we didn't really know that we could have asked to be moved. Interestingly the Maître d' on that occasion is the same as on our next cruise, I wonder if we will be stuck next to the serving station again ?!

Good idea. Is PG open for lunch on embarkation day?

When I was in the Balmoral Duplex (Q1) I had a table at the far end of the restaurant near the windows facing aft. It was a table for 8.

Cool! Do you have a country manor house you would like to invite me to? :p

We will be in a Q2 on our fashion week cruise next year. Afraid the cost means getting my own country manor house will have to wait a while longer.....(OK, a whole LOT longer!)

On my one and only QG cruise, we were in a Q4, but we had a couple from a Q2 at our table for 8. We were near the entrance to the restaurant. The location was fine, but I was just curious as to what is considered "prime." It looks like with the refit they have hidden away most of the service area in the QG, right?

Edited by Whirled Peas

I guess I show my ignorance, but I thought all of the QG tables on the QM2 were pretty good. I didn't realize there was a Q1-Q6 pecking order. I never felt it if there were one. Looking around, our first QG table on the QV was the only really bad table that I observed.

I wouldn't have known a change was even possible if I hadn't become a CC junkie and heard about it on this site. Thanks to that anonymous poster somewhere in the interwebs, we had a much better time. I also wouldn't have known to book the super special ships tour at the first possible moment or to bring my own wine for the wine steward. Thanks to everyone who makes our little spec of the ocean a much more hospitable place.

I do want to emphasize that any requested change must be requested discretely and politely. And, it is not necessary to grease any palms. It's part of the service.

Cool! Do you have a country manor house you would like to invite me to? :p

We will be in a Q2 on our fashion week cruise next year. Afraid the cost means getting my own country manor house will have to wait a while longer.....(OK, a whole LOT longer!)

On my one and only QG cruise, we were in a Q4, but we had a couple from a Q2 at our table for 8. We were near the entrance to the restaurant. The location was fine, but I was just curious as to what is considered "prime." It looks like with the refit they have hidden away most of the service area in the QG, right?

No manor house (not really the done thing in Australia), but I do have harbour views. My great grandfather did have a large home with servants and a couple of automobiles at the turn of the 20th century though.

As for 'prime', I suppose it's a matter of personal taste. While many like window tables, on QM2 there's really not much to look at besides joggers and smokers. My table last time was near the middle and I could easily see the sea from the various windows. I tended not to look on the few rough days nearing NY.

While I did love the Q1 I would actually love to have one of the forward Q2s sometime. Having a private lift on an ocean liner would be very nice. For me, that beats having three bathrooms and a balcony larger than a Britannia stateroom (at least it felt like it was). Plus it would be most convenient for getting back from the Commodore Club each night :)

Just want to mention: don't expect any miracles in Queens Grill -- in QG, the change is also substantial. On a 2-week QE cruise in August, we had a much reduced a la carte menu with no desserts. Vegetable choices NEVER appeared on any menu. No QG staff encouraged us to order off menu. Menu items were repeated frequently, sometimes on consecutive days. And many times, the food quality or preparation was mediocre at best. Even the little after-dinner sweets were fewer and boring (a lot of mini-madeline cookies). It was a radically different experience than we enjoyed in QG on a QE cruise in Nov. 2014. In fact, it was completely different than any of the previous dozen QG voyages we have taken.

I double-checked . . . we received no fare reduction to compensate for the change in food service. I think it's time to reconsider our 2017 reservation . . .

We just returned from a westbound crossing. It was my first time on Cunard so I can't compare to "before": I am only judging by what the Cunard promo stuff says and what you folks have told me on this board. I usually cruise with Crystal. I've submitted my overall review of QM2 in the review area (bottom line: glad I did it, enjoyed it, won't sail with Cunard again). Sorry to say I have to agree with the post above.

We were in Queens Grill. It was fine; just fine. Our original table was right by the service station, we requested a change after lunch the first day and were happily moved to a quieter table in the window section (not by a window) and were very well looked after there. Off the menu requests were not granted (only asked for "a salad with tomato and cheese") without really pushing, and what was produced in the end wasn't very pleasing, so did not make any further such requests. There are multiple options on the menu including both the "daily menu" and a variety of "every day" options; there was always something appealing to eat. There is a fixed list of "special" items you have to request in advance. We did this once and had a very good lobster thermidor. I did not see anyone else ordering "off the menu" and this certainly was NEVER an option that was mentioned or offered to us.

Also, the food was generally quite bland everywhere on the ship. We disembarked in New York and went straight to Jean-Georges for lunch. The first bit of the amuse had more flavour than anything we ate in a week of meals on the QM2. The food on board was perfectly adequate. But the advantage of traveling "Queen's Grill class" seems to be more for the cabin, the butler, the concierge, and especially the priority embarking/disembarking. There doesn't seem to be any particular advantage to actually eating in the Queen's Grill (unless of course Britannia is even more blah; I didn't try it - and of course for the flexibility of not having a fixed dining time). Very disappointing relative to what I was led to expect (so maybe this is a recent change), but certainly did not ruin my cruise.

After several voyages in QG, on QM2 and QV, QE, i observed that regulars are being treated very nicely, and that some perks are never advertised.

For instance, on my fourth QM2 crossing in November 2015 athe maitre d´ started asking if we like a traditional caviar serving, or anything else special.

We had caviar since then at least two times a voyage, it is never on the menu, but always available, in QG. We had a fantastic Caesar´s salad off menu prepared at the table by the maitre d´. We asked for two bottles of Whisky which arent on the list for the in-room bar and we got them. ( much more expensive ones than these on the list.)

As for the food, I found the new menu on the QM2 a bit lacking, but still very nice, and I heard the menu changes again. I am not so much into spicy food, so the QG menu ist very fine for me. On my recent mediterranean cruise on QV everything in Queens Grill was perfect. We were a group of six and everybody loved the food. I am going to cross in PG nov.12th and I will report here.

The bottom line is, it takes several voyages to sort out, but in QG, you really only have to ask, and you get it. Regarding off-menu, i just now begin to start doing it more often, but if you give them some time, it works out.

No manor house (not really the done thing in Australia), but I do have harbour views. My great grandfather did have a large home with servants and a couple of automobiles at the turn of the 20th century though.

As for 'prime', I suppose it's a matter of personal taste. While many like window tables, on QM2 there's really not much to look at besides joggers and smokers. My table last time was near the middle and I could easily see the sea from the various windows. I tended not to look on the few rough days nearing NY.

While I did love the Q1 I would actually love to have one of the forward Q2s sometime. Having a private lift on an ocean liner would be very nice. For me, that beats having three bathrooms and a balcony larger than a Britannia stateroom (at least it felt like it was). Plus it would be most convenient for getting back from the Commodore Club each night :)

A harbor view in Sydney sounds better than some musty old manor house! Especially true as I sit here after work with my magnificent view of a snow covered parking lot. My great, great, great grandfather was Devil Anse Hatfield, of Hatfields and McCoys hillbilly feud fame. He didn't have any servants, but he had a moonshine still, some shot guns and an attitude.

I love the concept of the forward Q2 suites also. I absolutely agree that the private elevator is a delightful perk. But on the fashion week cruise, we will be three women, and we plan to entertain. So three bathrooms, and the butler's pantry on the aft Q2 suites fit the bill better for us this trip. What did you think of the aft balcony overlooking the pool? Did you miss your privacy on the balcony? I doubt we will use the balcony much on a September transatlantic, but I would appreciate hearing your experience with it nonetheless.

On our eastbound crossing two years ago I met a couple who had the Queen Elizabeth suite. After answering my many questions they took the hint and invited me in for a tour. Unlike the two suites in the centre of that area the suites on the sides have a balcony, although it wasn’t much bigger than that of a basic Queen’s Grill stateroom.

The lifts to this - and the Queen Mary suite on the port side - aren’t really private, being the glass-sided lifts that go from Deck 7 to Deck 11. It takes the key-card to get them to stop at Deck 10 which is not shown on the control panel. I was curious as to how comfortable the occupants of the suite would be if there were other people in the lift when the door opened. They showed me a vestibule which can be locked so the lift doesn’t open directly into the suite. If the vestibule door was left open it would, however, provide direct access.

A harbor view in Sydney sounds better than some musty old manor house! Especially true as I sit here after work with my magnificent view of a snow covered parking lot. My great, great, great grandfather was Devil Anse Hatfield, of Hatfields and McCoys hillbilly feud fame. He didn't have any servants, but he had a moonshine still, some shot guns and an attitude.

I love the concept of the forward Q2 suites also. I absolutely agree that the private elevator is a delightful perk. But on the fashion week cruise, we will be three women, and we plan to entertain. So three bathrooms, and the butler's pantry on the aft Q2 suites fit the bill better for us this trip. What did you think of the aft balcony overlooking the pool? Did you miss your privacy on the balcony? I doubt we will use the balcony much on a September transatlantic, but I would appreciate hearing your experience with it nonetheless.

The Q1 balcony facing aft is definitely exposed, but that's the point. It's like a box at the Opera or sitting above the stage at The Globe. You're there to be seen!

What did you think of the aft balcony overlooking the pool? Did you miss your privacy on the balcony? I doubt we will use the balcony much on a September transatlantic, but I would appreciate hearing your experience with it nonetheless.

Balconies are always nice to have and on my several Transatlantics in January I have always, at sometime, used the balcony (remembering POSH if possible) to sit outside in the sunshine with the odd drink or two. The nice thing about aft balconies is that you do not need to think of POSH - my next one is aft on the Queen Elizabeth in January 2017.

As Austcruiser84 might confirm it is possible that balcony fixtures & fittings can become the victim of storm damage on a January transatlantic!!

Balconies are always nice to have and on my several Transatlantics in January I have always, at sometime, used the balcony (remembering POSH if possible) to sit outside in the sunshine with the odd drink or two. The nice thing about aft balconies is that you do not need to think of POSH - my next one is aft on the Queen Elizabeth in January 2017.

As Austcruiser84 might confirm it is possible that balcony fixtures & fittings can become the victim of storm damage on a January transatlantic!!

I've done a January TA. Some days are less than wonderful. And, some days are a miracle of nature's magnificence. It just depends on the luck of the draw. But, if you get one of those sunny, soft days in the Gulf Stream in the middle of Winter, you won't want the sun to go down.

Just crossed on the QM2 and our first time in Queens. We did order off menu, but had to negotiate what we wanted to match the food they had on board and what the chef was willing to cook. The result was OK, but nothing special and not what we had ordered. The maitre'd came around most lunches and asked if anyone wanted something off the short specials menu for dinner. We did this a couple of times and it was OK, but really just cruise ship food, with a lot of lah-dee-dah at table re-heating. A bit shocked to find that the Queens breakfast and lunch menus matched the selections in Britannia.