PG versus QG dining post refit

RevCo0219

Would it be fair to ask that Cunard update its websites to reflect the menus as they are presently in use rather than showing us dated editions ?????

Yes it would be fair, but I doubt very much that anyone from Cunard reads this and I don't suppose anyone here will be paying to telephone them. Cunard shoreside doesn't have the best reputation. I don't think there's anything on their website to report pages that are wrong. You could try posting something on their Facebook page and see if that makes a difference.

Would it be fair to ask that Cunard update its websites to reflect the menus as they are presently in use rather than showing us dated editions ?????

I emailed them on the 30th June regarding the out of date information within the voyage personaliser. The bar price lists, wine price lists and room service price lists are dated 2013 and 2012, for example the bar list proclaims that they are looking forward to QM2 celebrating her 10 years in service in January 2014.

On the 5th July, l had a very charming lady call me from Cunard thanking me for pointing it out and she stated that she was off there and then to raise it with the appropriate department.

You can guess the current position.

If raising it here is a waste of time, raising it directly with Cunard is probably a similar waste of effort.

The email address I used to raise the observation was; UK.Reservations@cunard.co.uk

M-AR

I have just posted a few photo's I took of various menu's on our visit to QE, we were not long in each area, so the opportunities were few. I have also posted a photo of the car unloading bay as we left at 2.30 pm, seemed quite to me!

Hopefully this link will work!

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B7LVRToyJCabWWRGSDB1MHFYOEU?usp=sharing

Hope to get a lot more PG menu's on our cruise!

I have read all of your posts with interest and a little apprehension. I am sailing on the 1/3/17 sailing of the QM2 -- first time on Cunard and first time not on a Crystal ship in what seems like forever. I have heard wonderful things about the QM2 and even better things about QG and now am concerned the the food and service will not as great as I thought. Also, if something is not on the menu, how do we know what to order? Finally, who knows who "belongs" and who doesn't? We are not fancy dressers and have almost always been treated well wherever we go. Help? Did we make a mistake? Or am I overthinking this (as I usually do)? Thanks. Janet

Edited by Sunbubble

if something is not on the menu, how do we know what to order? Finally, who knows who "belongs" and who doesn't? We are not fancy dressers and have almost always been treated well wherever we go. Help? Did we make a mistake? Or am I overthinking this (as I usually do)? Thanks. Janet

You'll be just fine.

You will get the daily lunch and dinner menus in advance. This is in addition to the a la Carte.

If there is nothing that takes your fancy, or, if you want a curry night, or an Italian night etc. etc., then discuss it with one of the head waiters or the Maitre d' at either breakfast or lunch. One of my favourites is Peking Duck, but they need at least 3 days notice. Most other dishes can be rustled up in a few hours.

The Grills staff will quickly get to know you and I guarantee, you will be well looked after!

Regarding the "fancy dress", it is quite formal and you will be expected to conform to the dress code of the evening, which of course, adds to the ambience, and in the Grills is totally observed.

Stewart

Edited by BigMac1953

As for PG and QG dinning tables, I prefer one QG table and hardly feel it is priority seating. As well, I think David, Mississauga has it right: "I doubt there is much difference in Princess Grill because, of course, all staterooms are the same size and the only fare difference between P1 and P2 is based only on location. Our first crossing in PG was an upgrade and we were allocated an excellent table.

Because of the vast difference in Queen's suites in size and, naturally, in fares there is more likely to be advantages given to some passengers over others. We have met some people in Q4 and above and they said they got priority seating if they wished it. There was no doubt that some people were fussed over more than others (from overheard conversations they were very frequent travellers) but we never felt we received substandard service in any way.We are fairly "low maintenance" and not too fussy about our table location. We didn't feel we were given any less attention because we were in basic QG accommodation. As with our first time in PG, our first time in QG was an upgrade and we were assigned to an excellent large table. The second time in QG was on a special fare (one of those where you pay PG and get QG) and again we were seated at a large table in a desirable location and received service that could not be faulted.'"

Having a feeling that on the nose re the refit, I learned of the ship the other day, having three unrelated sets of friends on, in P1, Q4 and Q2. None upgrades, nor were any expected just because they'd booked. Seeing the ship "re-mastered" in the way they usually traveled was the goal. From all I got a feeling how QM2 will be for me 15 December. I've a new hip to show off!

Here's what they, just off QM2 westbound said … no, there's NOT major changes PG vs QG after the refit. There HAS been a tightening up in favor of the company that runs Cunard ships. Whether entry-level PG (what I've always felt the best bang for the buck Cunard offers on all its ships) or at its highest rate, PG original cabins remain the same size, same areas, have a bathtub. In PG dinning, no more paying the least money and expecting to always order off menu as if in QG. No, the menu hasn't been dumbed down, there may be fewer choices, entrees might be five-six nightly offerings (out of a dedicated kitchen for both Grills) instead of ten. No there's no more PG ordering as you please off menu, which to me makes sense for a cheaper room. The famed Cunard party-pieces still appear during each voyage, usually one a night, just not three or four listed nightly. (Still, often the staff quietly obliges sincere wishes.) The seating-count may have gone up by eight. The Grill Lounge, still as industrial-looking as ever, remains. There's enough "refreshing" in the carpeting and fabrics that those experienced enough and wanting such can be pleased, or can righteously quibble they aren't colors they'd use. QG accommodations remain the zenith on the ship, per cabin-pricing, size, linen and general feeling this isn't how you live at home. I've seen one couples three homes, personally feel the "Buckingham Apartment" doesn't quite come up to two of them, but that's just me. All the QG daily perks remain. The Concierge Lounge remains the same. As for the QG dinning menu, few changes or downsizing was noted. Yes you may order off menu as was usual pre refit, but why? It isn't a cdrwdential. But if you want meat, or fish, every night, just say so, it will be done. In QG. Possibly the room has added eight to its seating. As would benefit dinning for the most costly accommodations, QG offers a menu more enhanced than PG, merely that. Please, let the hand-wringing stop. Hearing news "fresh off the boat" belies all the internet twaddle about the Grills I've read here and elsewhere. As for the ship, there was no mention of The Heathen in shorts, jeans and tank tops. Formal night dressup in the Grills sounded a delight to see. A walk through Britannia dinning seemed to enforce that. In the shows and clubs, the nightly code seemed adhered to. High marks were given to the brand-new Carinthia Lounge. From the sound of it all I can't wait to board! TA 15 December, westbound. For me, a P2 is still a great deal. Jus' sayin'. :)

I do understand if you are in the top suites you would receive priority seating.

But I am sure the staff will make sure all guests have a memorable time.

From all the recent positive comments really looking forward to be back in PG on

QE in November.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have read all of your posts with interest and a little apprehension. I am sailing on the 1/3/17 sailing of the QM2 -- first time on Cunard and first time not on a Crystal ship in what seems like forever. I have heard wonderful things about the QM2 and even better things about QG and now am concerned the the food and service will not as great as I thought. Also, if something is not on the menu, how do we know what to order? Finally, who knows who "belongs" and who doesn't? We are not fancy dressers and have almost always been treated well wherever we go. Help? Did we make a mistake? Or am I overthinking this (as I usually do)? Thanks. Janet

I've not sailed Crystal so I can't compare to put your mind at rest. One thing I do know is that QM2 is fabulous, particularly since the refit. The service on board is excellent. Do not worry about ordering off menu etc., as you don't need to! We have never felt the need to order off menu until our most recent trip when a couple of our favourite items were 'missing', but I can't imagine wanting to invent your own menu all the time! It's just not necessary as there is plenty of choice.

The dress code is formal but in a good way - it's very elegant and adds to the atmosphere on board.

I've never been lucky enough to travel in QG but I have never once felt inferior to anyone else in the restaurant. Everyone seemed to me to be treated equally.

You will have a fabulous time on board I'm sure. I would book again in a heartbeat if my bank balance allowed it :D

Also, if something is not on the menu, how do we know what to order? Finally, who knows who "belongs" and who doesn't? We are not fancy dressers and have almost always been treated well wherever we go.

Well, what you order is up to you. I have learned from experience that the daily menu in Queens Grill usually has something that is quite tempting already on it. With that being said, it's also nice to experience something that is a little unusual and not normally found on the menu. For instance I adore crab sardou such as found at a fine New Orleans restaurant like Galatoire's. Also just the thought of chicken Clemenceau makes my mouth water, so I am not shy about asking those to be prepared when I'm in Queen Grill. Although I usually have to explain to the maitre d' how to create those wonderful Creole dishes.

As far as dress during the day wear what you would to ride the BELLE OF LOUISVILLE for a dinner trip, and you'll be fine. After 6 PM though be prepared to adhere to the ship's evening dress code or be turned away from the restaurant. As to if you "belong" or not that's up to you! Going to any restaurant other than Kings Court not adhering to the dress code shouts we don't belong, and you will be treated accordingly.

Enjoy your crossing. Take the week to visit and enjoy a more gracious way of travel. Perhaps we'll even get to meet in Queens Grill. I'll be the one with jambalaya for dinner, which by the way, does often appear as an offering on the menu.

As for PG and QG dinning tables, I prefer one QG table and hardly feel it is priority seating. As well, I think David, Mississauga has it right: "I doubt there is much difference in Princess Grill because, of course, all staterooms are the same size and the only fare difference between P1 and P2 is based only on location. Our first crossing in PG was an upgrade and we were allocated an excellent table.

Because of the vast difference in Queen's suites in size and, naturally, in fares there is more likely to be advantages given to some passengers over others. We have met some people in Q4 and above and they said they got priority seating if they wished it. There was no doubt that some people were fussed over more than others (from overheard conversations they were very frequent travellers) but we never felt we received substandard service in any way.We are fairly "low maintenance" and not too fussy about our table location. We didn't feel we were given any less attention because we were in basic QG accommodation. As with our first time in PG, our first time in QG was an upgrade and we were assigned to an excellent large table. The second time in QG was on a special fare (one of those where you pay PG and get QG) and again we were seated at a large table in a desirable location and received service that could not be faulted.'"

Having a feeling that on the nose re the refit, I learned of the ship the other day, having three unrelated sets of friends on, in P1, Q4 and Q2. None upgrades, nor were any expected just because they'd booked. Seeing the ship "re-mastered" in the way they usually traveled was the goal. From all I got a feeling how QM2 will be for me 15 December. I've a new hip to show off!

Here's what they, just off QM2 westbound said … no, there's NOT major changes PG vs QG after the refit. There HAS been a tightening up in favor of the company that runs Cunard ships. Whether entry-level PG (what I've always felt the best bang for the buck Cunard offers on all its ships) or at its highest rate, PG original cabins remain the same size, same areas, have a bathtub. In PG dinning, no more paying the least money and expecting to always order off menu as if in QG. No, the menu hasn't been dumbed down, there may be fewer choices, entrees might be five-six nightly offerings (out of a dedicated kitchen for both Grills) instead of ten. No there's no more PG ordering as you please off menu, which to me makes sense for a cheaper room. The famed Cunard party-pieces still appear during each voyage, usually one a night, just not three or four listed nightly. (Still, often the staff quietly obliges sincere wishes.) The seating-count may have gone up by eight. The Grill Lounge, still as industrial-looking as ever, remains. There's enough "refreshing" in the carpeting and fabrics that those experienced enough and wanting such can be pleased, or can righteously quibble they aren't colors they'd use. QG accommodations remain the zenith on the ship, per cabin-pricing, size, linen and general feeling this isn't how you live at home. I've seen one couples three homes, personally feel the "Buckingham Apartment" doesn't quite come up to two of them, but that's just me. All the QG daily perks remain. The Concierge Lounge remains the same. As for the QG dinning menu, few changes or downsizing was noted. Yes you may order off menu as was usual pre refit, but why? It isn't a cdrwdential. But if you want meat, or fish, every night, just say so, it will be done. In QG. Possibly the room has added eight to its seating. As would benefit dinning for the most costly accommodations, QG offers a menu more enhanced than PG, merely that. Please, let the hand-wringing stop. Hearing news "fresh off the boat" belies all the internet twaddle about the Grills I've read here and elsewhere. As for the ship, there was no mention of The Heathen in shorts, jeans and tank tops. Formal night dressup in the Grills sounded a delight to see. A walk through Britannia dinning seemed to enforce that. In the shows and clubs, the nightly code seemed adhered to. High marks were given to the brand-new Carinthia Lounge. From the sound of it all I can't wait to board! TA 15 December, westbound. For me, a P2 is still a great deal. Jus' sayin'. :)

Yep, totally agree. Truth is, with same size restaurant (QG/PG) the PG has actually about 20 less seats making it a wee bit more spacious. At least that's my experience.

Have a great trip.

BigMac1953, MeridithFairfax, Calliope

Thank you so much for your comments! Crystal is fairly formal, but is getting less so and many are very upset. I like some formality especially when having a formal dinner. I just can't imagine being on a ship where most wear shorts, flip-flops, etc for dinner. With crying babies and out of control kids and screaming parents- not that I don't love kids--after all, I'm a grandma, but.....

Calliope--I love jambalaya, if it's made well!! I will be the one sitting either with my sister (hopefully, f she can get the time off--she agreed but is ot responding to my emails re airline arrangements which doesn't bode well), my husband ( we says he hates cruises but is going on a 30 day cruise with me, ending 12/21, so who knows -- he worries about Titanic-type events) or ...maybe someone else. Or maybe just me--do many/any singles sail QG? Also, I'll be the one red ring off the menu, which sounds wonderful!! Again, thanks all!

Oh, I have one of the lower QG rooms, but probably would have no idea if I were in a priority table or not!!

Janet

I have just completed a 30 day NYC round trip to Norway in the Princess Grill. I am Diamond and have traveled in all Cunard grades. I normally book a P2 guarantee. I sometimes get what I pay for, but have been frequently upgraded to a P1 or Q6 and Q5. I was once upgraded to a Q1 on QV, a truly magnificent experience. The P2 is the best value for money on Cunard. The only drawback is the long, long, long walk to the dinning room.

I’m normally a lurker but feel that my observations might contribute to this discussion.

The selection of a good table is subjective. Some want a window and others do not like the walkers staring at them. In the QG table selection is based on grade. If you are in a Q1 you get the best table, best service and most attention from the Maitre’ D. In the PG table selection is based on booking date. The earlier you book the better the table. Both Grills try to accommodate specific requirements stated at the time of booking. I always ask for a table for two by a window with lots of light. (My wife does not see too well when they turn down the lights in the evening). I normally get it.

Without a doubt the menu and choices have been reduced. Rack of lamb has reappeared on the PG a la carte. There are indeed fewer choices on the a la carte menu and no deserts. Some of the choices are terrible. Everyday I ordered shrimp cocktail. It was excellent. Halfway through the cruise it suddenly changed its name and became to a bowl of guacamole with three small shrimp on top. Many of the former a la carte entrees now appear in rotation on the regular menu.

The lunch menu is the same in all restaurants. Until recently the dimmer menu was the same except that some of the Britannia choices never appeared on the Grills menu. For instance, when Britannia served roast turkey it never appeared in the Grills. Now the Grills dinner menu is totally different from Britannia’s.

Special order is still available in PG. You just have ask nicely and not ask for anything too complicated. For instance, a couple of times we had roast chicken served by a head waiter at the table and other times we asked for one of the lunch entrees to be served at night. Each time, it was freshly cooked not held over and warmed up. We frequently had fish that was not on either the main or a la carte menus. The Maitre’ D always had to check with the Chef to see if it was possible. We were never denied our choice.

It is still possible to get hidden entrees at lunch such as cheeseburger and fries.

I have not sat in them, but the new chairs in QG look uncomfortable, especially for men with wide shoulders. I noticed that a few chairs had been temporally replaced with the old chairs for a voyage segment.

I can confirm that the new QG chairs are a bit uncomfortable around the shoulders.

I am a 186 cm male. But I think they look fantastic, so I go with them.

The same chairs, without armrests, can be found in Britannia´s special dining venue.

See them in the link:

http://beyondships.com/PO-Britannia-Tour-5s.html

Just want to mention: don't expect any miracles in Queens Grill -- in QG, the change is also substantial. On a 2-week QE cruise in August, we had a much reduced a la carte menu with no desserts. Vegetable choices NEVER appeared on any menu. No QG staff encouraged us to order off menu. Menu items were repeated frequently, sometimes on consecutive days. And many times, the food quality or preparation was mediocre at best. Even the little after-dinner sweets were fewer and boring (a lot of mini-madeline cookies). It was a radically different experience than we enjoyed in QG on a QE cruise in Nov. 2014. In fact, it was completely different than any of the previous dozen QG voyages we have taken.

I double-checked . . . we received no fare reduction to compensate for the change in food service. I think it's time to reconsider our 2017 reservation . . .

Just returned from a trip in the QE and it's true the menu which changed last Oct is not as good as before. However we had no trouble changing the veg or potatoes to what we wanted each meal and regularly ordered off menu , mostly things off the old menu we love. Zoltan our favourite head waiter even prepared at our table lobster Thermidor not like the one off the menu. I was surprised how many people did not order off menu but more did as the cruise progressed. I'm used to the menu now and just order what we like , often prepared at table.

The staff want to please.

I have just completed a 30 day NYC round trip to Norway in the Princess Grill. I am Diamond and have traveled in all Cunard grades. I normally book a P2 guarantee. I sometimes get what I pay for, but have been frequently upgraded to a P1 or Q6 and Q5. I was once upgraded to a Q1 on QV, a truly magnificent experience. The P2 is the best value for money on Cunard. The only drawback is the long, long, long walk to the dinning room.

I’m normally a lurker but feel that my observations might contribute to this discussion.

The selection of a good table is subjective. Some want a window and others do not like the walkers staring at them. In the QG table selection is based on grade. If you are in a Q1 you get the best table, best service and most attention from the Maitre’ D. In the PG table selection is based on booking date. The earlier you book the better the table. Both Grills try to accommodate specific requirements stated at the time of booking. I always ask for a table for two by a window with lots of light. (My wife does not see too well when they turn down the lights in the evening). I normally get it.

Without a doubt the menu and choices have been reduced. Rack of lamb has reappeared on the PG a la carte. There are indeed fewer choices on the a la carte menu and no deserts. Some of the choices are terrible. Everyday I ordered shrimp cocktail. It was excellent. Halfway through the cruise it suddenly changed its name and became to a bowl of guacamole with three small shrimp on top. Many of the former a la carte entrees now appear in rotation on the regular menu.

The lunch menu is the same in all restaurants. Until recently the dimmer menu was the same except that some of the Britannia choices never appeared on the Grills menu. For instance, when Britannia served roast turkey it never appeared in the Grills. Now the Grills dinner menu is totally different from Britannia’s.

Special order is still available in PG. You just have ask nicely and not ask for anything too complicated. For instance, a couple of times we had roast chicken served by a head waiter at the table and other times we asked for one of the lunch entrees to be served at night. Each time, it was freshly cooked not held over and warmed up. We frequently had fish that was not on either the main or a la carte menus. The Maitre’ D always had to check with the Chef to see if it was possible. We were never denied our choice.

It is still possible to get hidden entrees at lunch such as cheeseburger and fries.

I have not sat in them, but the new chairs in QG look uncomfortable, especially for men with wide shoulders. I noticed that a few chairs had been temporally replaced with the old chairs for a voyage segment.

VERY very helpful, thank you. And I agree, P2 gtd is the way to go. I actually prefer the PG dining room to QG. And from what I read about new QG chairs it's still better - certainly more spacious.

Thanks again.

We were in PG, booked on a guarantee, last minute, and upgraded to a P1. I agree that a P2 is an excellent value.

I know that ResistK had a very disappointing experience in the PG, shortly after the remastering. I was a few sailings later and by then, the menu was much more extensive. The menu had many always available items of a high quality. At our table the escargot and shrimp were popular. My daughter had the filet mignon a lot. I found the combination of the always available, the evening menu and the tableside preparation options (three), to be more than enough choices !

At a per diem of three hundred dollars a night, I did not expect the staff to be running around the ship for specialty items to suit my whims. My daughter was on a very limited diet and they could find berries or a very simple item, if requested.

We had a nice table for six with views. Perhaps because we were sharing a large table, we got lucky. We had excellent service.

I am not that easy to please, but felt that the PG was a good value for us on this trip. I really would have a hard time with fixed dining times, and would not be too happy with the high premium for the club cabins...

• 2 weeks later...

HI all,

I just read that the wooden deck chairs on the PG balcony have been swapped out for wicker. Though someone described them as more comfortable there was something so classic about the teak wooden ones with the green cushions they had. :cool: Not sure how I feel about something that's pretty trivial... but I sort of felt like Sabrina on the old ones! Now it'll be a modern moment I guess.

• 2 weeks later...
You'll be just fine.

You will get the daily lunch and dinner menus in advance. This is in addition to the a la Carte.

If there is nothing that takes your fancy, or, if you want a curry night, or an Italian night etc. etc., then discuss it with one of the head waiters or the Maitre d' at either breakfast or lunch. One of my favourites is Peking Duck, but they need at least 3 days notice. Most other dishes can be rustled up in a few hours.

The Grills staff will quickly get to know you and I guarantee, you will be well looked after!

Regarding the "fancy dress", it is quite formal and you will be expected to conform to the dress code of the evening, which of course, adds to the ambience, and in the Grills is totally observed.

Stewart

Hello Stewart.

There is also another option that I often avail myself of.

I check what 'roast' is available as I pass through the Kings Court/ Lido. A particular favourite is pastrami.

So I request the Head Waiter arrange a generous serving and a waiter is duly despatched to the buffet.

So much easier than battling for a seat elsewhere and one can still avail oneself of the super Grills service and regular table

Hello Stewart.

There is also another option that I often avail myself of.

I check what 'roast' is available as I pass through the Kings Court/ Lido. A particular favourite is pastrami.

So I request the Head Waiter arrange a generous serving and a waiter is duly despatched to the buffet.

So much easier than battling for a seat elsewhere and one can still avail oneself of the super Grills service and regular table

This is a great idea. I will remember this one!