Westerdam Alaska recently?

Moriah

I'm getting packed to board Westerdam on Saturday. So excited. I've been sailing on her (and her sister Vistas) to Alaska for the past 10 years and it NEVER gets old... Well, I mean sailing to Alaska never gets old.. the Westie, unfortunately, can't help but age.. but she could say the same for me, right? I still love her. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone who has done the Seattle round trip itinerary on Westerdam this summer has any last minute tips, photos of menus, any info on entertainment yeahs and nays? Has this been a good summer for the ship and her pax in terms of the crew being happy campers and the ship in good shape? Who is the CD? Anything of note about embarkation? This cruise I'll be with a good friend for whom it's her FIRST cruise... so I made sure we got a Neptune right across from the lounge - I want her fall in love with the ship - I don't think there is any question that she'll fall in love with Alaska. Anyway, anything anyone wants to tell me about this season (which is almost over!) on Westie, I'll be grateful. :)

Edited by Moriah

I am on the same sailing so would love to see anything that is posted [at least before I fly to Seattle tomorrow haha].

On a "it's a small world" note, I recognized your name, Moriah, from some posts regarding Veendam last year. You were on the May 2nd sailing to Bermuda [i believe?] and I was on the May 9th sailing right after you. Now we will both be on the Westerdam during the same time! Truly is a small world.

I am on the same sailing so would love to see anything that is posted [at least before I fly to Seattle tomorrow haha].

On a "it's a small world" note, I recognized your name, Moriah, from some posts regarding Veendam last year. You were on the May 2nd sailing to Bermuda [i believe?] and I was on the May 9th sailing right after you. Now we will both be on the Westerdam during the same time! Truly is a small world.

OMGosh! Yes, it is a small world! I'll look for you around the ship next week! (I assume you look like your profile photo - mine is a photo of Oosterdam so it will be harder for you to recognize me LOL)

I was on Westerdam at the end of July, but it was my first time on HAL, so I don't know if I can tell you anything you don't already know, if you've been on HAL many times before. It was a good cruise, different from the Princess cruises I've been on previously, pros and cons for both. The cruise director is Sarah. Sorry, I don't recall her last name, only her first name, because when she'd come out at the beginning of a show and say Good Evening, she wanted everyone to reply, "Good Evening, Sarah!"

Enjoy your cruise. I'm sure everything will be fine.

We were on our first cruise on her July 9th. I didn't know what to expect but most things were very nice. Had a problem with the toilet not flushing all but one day of the cruise. After I called it was fixed pretty quickly, just annoying. Not a fan if MDR. I had a tough steak the one night we ate there and preferred the Lido. Great salads in the Lido. Glad we had a balcony so we didn't miss any views from our room.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

A BIG Bon Voyage to you and Moriah!

Hope you both have the BEST cruise!!!!

I was on the 8/6 embark and as I told the Hotel Manager, I couldn't even make anything up it was all perfect. I have always been a fan of Westerdam and she's been my favorite food ship now for a while and she didn't disappoint. I finally got to try the Dive-in burger bar and it was good. We did spend a lot of time at the Piano bar which was a first for me and enjoyed it immensely. We arrived at 1pm for embark and we're in our Neptune 20 minutes later. I did enjoy the add on lobster tail option in Pinnacle, for $10 I wouldn't miss it.

On same cruise as Kathy and enjoyed our balcony, Embarkation was fairly fast considering we were not in a suite or high level Mariner. Used Hal's trans. hotel to pier, arriving about 11:15, seemed to work well.

There was Mariner Embarkation Lunch at 12:30 listed in On Location. Not well attended and no one checked status. C.D. was Sarah. Thought food in MDR was good, especially seafood. Large Inspirations Group took over late set seating, we were able to have same table for 5 nights at 8PM.

Staff were very friendly, a bit overworked. Room stewards did not do daily tasks until afternoon some days, not a problem, different from previous cruises.

BB King was very popular though, not for us.

Crow's Nest quite crowded in the afternoon.

Believe you will have a great time.

On same cruise as Kathy and enjoyed our balcony, Embarkation was fairly fast considering we were not in a suite or high level Mariner. Used Hal's trans. hotel to pier, arriving about 11:15, seemed to work well.

There was Mariner Embarkation Lunch at 12:30 listed in On Location. Not well attended

Believe you will have a great time.

That's good news about the Mariners' lunch! For some reason I was under the impression they had discontinued that! Thank you!

I'm getting packed to board Westerdam on Saturday. So excited. I've been sailing on her (and her sister Vistas) to Alaska for the past 10 years and it NEVER gets old... Well, I mean sailing to Alaska never gets old.. the Westie, unfortunately, can't help but age..

Eagerly awaiting the responses as we also board on Saturday, first time in Neptune Suite. Excited!!

Moriah, Mariner Embarkation Luncheon was recently discussed on CC boards. HAL's policy seems to vary from cruise to cruise. Some said it was limited to 4 and 5 Star Mariners, some said it was for everyone, some cruises did not have one. Not sure what is the determining factor, check On Location as soon as you reach your cabin.

If the Pinnacle is part of your package, make reservation asap. This has become popular and many promos include it, only so many reservations are available. Enloy!

Moriah, Mariner Embarkation Luncheon was recently discussed on CC boards. HAL's policy seems to vary from cruise to cruise. Some said it was limited to 4 and 5 Star Mariners, some said it was for everyone, some cruises did not have one. Not sure what is the determining factor, check On Location as soon as you reach your cabin.

If the Pinnacle is part of your package, make reservation asap. This has become popular and many promos include it, only so many reservations are available. Enloy!

Usually main factor is special luncheons on embarkation day for TA's, charities, etc. Also any delayed embarkation can cause it to be cancelled. Several of our recent cruises it was open to all and listed on the daily program in our cabin. Only once it was closed and that was due to late boarding due to Code Red. BTW I noticed they took the chicken and waffle off the menu for embarkation lunch. I thought it was gross when I had it.

It's never been busy as I don't think many actually read the program when they first board due to the excitement of boarding. I've heard that Disney hands out daily programs in the boarding area while passengers are waiting to board. Very smart move- gets people in the mood to spend money before they even board.

Thanks for this. Interesting what's been happening with the Mariners lunch. I always prefer it to the hubbub in the Lido. As for Pinnacle, it's not in our package this time, but we'll probably reserve one dinner there - maybe even on embarkation night.

Thank you!! No matter how many times I cruise, I always get SO excited!!!

I know!! So, do I. Don't think this will ever change!

Just can't help but smile and so glad you feel the same way.

Hope you enjoy the Westerdam. The CD may be Sarah Koster, married to a First Officer, recently I believe. She's been described as "perky" and seems very sincere.

Again, have a super time!

Edited by SilvertoGold

A BIG Bon Voyage to you and Moriah!

Hope you both have the BEST cruise!!!!

Merci beaucoup, mon ami!! :D

Thanks for this. Interesting what's been happening with the Mariners lunch. I always prefer it to the hubbub in the Lido. As for Pinnacle, it's not in our package this time, but we'll probably reserve one dinner there - maybe even on embarkation night.

Well if that's the case you may run into me there! We are dining in PG on embarkation night hahaha. I was torn as to what night to book and I figured that would be best so we can avoid the madness of the MDR on the first evening. We will probably eat in the Lido on the last night since we want to go ashore in Victoria and time is so limited there that an MDR dinner would not really be feasible.

I DO hope they have the wonderful Indonesian and Filipino dishes that I enjoyed on the Veendam.

We sail on her in October and would love to know what is going on in the Ocean Bar. Is The Band playing dance music every night?

The few times I saw The Band playing, they seemed bored. I was not impressed. I only saw them in passing and once as backup for one of the shows. I suppose they might have been better at other times.

Thanks jhsocal and sherryf for the info. We are very pleased there is still a band and dancing at the Ocean Bar. We've found that if guests dance and give a little positive feedback to the band everyone has a much better time. We can hardly wait to get back on the Ocean Bar dance floor! And this means we won't have to go to the BB Kings to dance (we are not fans of loud music).

On board and enjoying every minute. Weather chilly but has been mostly clear since Seattle. Delightful in every way. Okay one disappointment... Adagio in Explorers lounge which I usually love... Both nights just a solo pianist - not a good one - and she plays show tunes! Not sure what's up with that! On Location says piano and violin playing classical... But...

Some nice surprises: smoothie bar at atrium bar in the mornings on sea days. Coffee machine in Neptune Suite makes great coffee. No need to wait until the lounge opens. Good for morning people like me! Dinner at PG embarkation night. Excellent. I had lamb chops. Going back Thursday. So right now as I type this on my thermal couch in the spa as we approach Juneau I can tell you that the Westerdam Life is Good !!!