Question for recent Escape cruisers re: mosquitoes

zestyzorra

I am cruising next month and I am planning to take the suggested precautions of wearing long sleeves, pants, and using bug spray... but I am wondering if those of you who've sailed on the Escape the past few months have been bitten by mosquitoes? Did you even notice? If you did, was it in spite of taking precautions?

I'm also curious if anyone has been bitten in and around Miami?

I know Zika is a major concern for pregnant women, but that is not an issue for me. I just don't want to be bitten, period. But I am also not sure how serious of a threat this really is for those travelling to the area and not pregnant/expecting to be pregnant... I'd love to hear what everyone thinks.

Thanks in advance!

Off the Escape August 28th and never once saw a mosquito. When we docked in St. Thomas, there were people handing us spray with DEET (there was also a DEET-free spray available) and warning cards as we got off the ship. Apparently Zika is rampant on the island.

Tracy

Edited by TracyE

Was on the Escape from August 6 through August 14, 2016. Not any problems with mosquitos. I brought wipe on clothes, I don't like the spray but after the first port I decided not to use it.

If you want to take precautions buy some of the wipe on packs and put some in your purse when you get off the ship.

No problem at all.

I am cruising next month and I am planning to take the suggested precautions of wearing long sleeves, pants, and using bug spray... but I am wondering if those of you who've sailed on the Escape the past few months have been bitten by mosquitoes? Did you even notice? If you did, was it in spite of taking precautions?

I'm also curious if anyone has been bitten in and around Miami?

I know Zika is a major concern for pregnant women, but that is not an issue for me. I just don't want to be bitten, period. But I am also not sure how serious of a threat this really is for those travelling to the area and not pregnant/expecting to be pregnant... I'd love to hear what everyone thinks.

Thanks in advance!

In 20+ Caribbean cruises I have never seen a mosquito on any ship or around any pier. The ONLY time I ever noticed any bugs of any kind was when we were hiking in El Yunque on Puerto Rico, but that is a rain forest. Unless you go into wooded areas you are not going to come across any bugs.

BTW wearing the clothing you are suggesting is going to be miserable, get some good bug spray and use it.

Edited by zqvol

Off the Escape August 28th and never once saw a mosquito. When we docked in St. Thomas, there were people handing us spray with DEET (there was also a DEET-free spray available) and warning cards as we got off the ship. Apparently Zika is rampant on the island.

Tracy

Who was handing out the bug spray? NCL crew? And was the warning very general, or did it encourage folks to stay on the ship?

We are on the Escape in two weeks. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Pretty sure it was the US gov that was handing out the bug spray in St. Thomas.

We were on the Escape a couple of weeks ago. We all used bug spray in every port, but all wore longish shorts and tshirts (no long sleeves). Our teen son and our friends' teen son both say they got one bite -- don't know if it was from a mosquito though, and no one returned with any illness. Maybe they got bit in Tortola? We did the Baths excursion and there's a bit of walking through wooded areas.

Who was handing out the bug spray? NCL crew? And was the warning very general, or did it encourage folks to stay on the ship?

We are on the Escape in two weeks. Thanks in advance.

It looked to be a bunch of volunteers handing out the spray and the warning was more a list of recommendations (wear long sleeves etc.). We also had a letter about Zika in our cabin about taking precautions. Nothing about staying on the ship.

I have never seen any mosquitoes anywhere in the islands as someone else posted. I'd be more cautious if I was out at dusk but you will be fine. If you're at all concerned use wipes or a spray before venturing out.

Tracy

Be careful. I've seen numerous people sucked dry by giant Zika mosquitoes. Hold your children close, some of the stronger Zika mosquitoes carry small children back to their lair so they can feed at their leisure.

You seem to have a great sense of humor. Google "microcephaly" if you want some real laughs.

I mean, birth defects are pretty funny, right?

In 20+ Caribbean cruises I have never seen a mosquito on any ship or around any pier. The ONLY time I ever noticed any bugs of any kind was when we were hiking in El Yunque on Puerto Rico, but that is a rain forest. Unless you go into wooded areas you are not going to come across any bugs.

BTW wearing the clothing you are suggesting is going to be miserable, get some good bug spray and use it.

We went on the Escape in March, no bugs ever. My brother who was with us, has cruised about 10 times, he said he has never seen a mosquito on a cruise.

I think using bug spray is the way to go. Covering up head to toe, seems not enjoyable, and could also cause heat exhaustion if its really hot too.

We were on the August 14th Escape sailing and I was concerned about being bitten.

Not that I have to worry about being or getting pregnant.......just that if there is anything around that will bite...you can GUARANTEE it will bite me! :eek:

We used a Deet-based spray but didn't wear long sleeves or full length pants.

None of our family was bitten at all on the cruise. However, back at my BIL's house in Miami.......bitten to death one evening.......the one evening I DIDN'T spray with repellent!

On the Escape in July. We had a general warning letter in our stateroom about Zika. I had seen somewhere here CC that they had some spray available for guests. We stopped at guest services and asked for bug spray. They gave us two small bottles. We never did use them, had no issues with bugs.

I got off at GSC and within 5 mins of arriving had been bitten by 20 sand fleas.:cool:

I agree ..

Not a joking matter :mad:

Totally offensive, no humor to be found in the statement.

Safe HEALTHY sailing

To paraphrase any decent comedian, which I'm not claiming to be, "Once a topic is off limits, everything is off limits." Just because you don't find it funny doesn't mean someone else won't. Not all humor is in good taste, nor should it be.

Recently sailed on the Escape and the CDC was at the port in St. Thomas handing out stickers and bug spray. DH and I wore Off Deep Woods in port when we got off the ship and had no issues or bites, and I almost always get eaten alive :). Only saw mosquitos in St. Thomas. We didn't see any while on the ship even while we were docked in port.

To paraphrase any decent comedian, which I'm not claiming to be, "Once a topic is off limits, everything is off limits." Just because you don't find it funny doesn't mean someone else won't. Not all humor is in good taste, nor should it be.

Well you made me laugh.

However people are scared. I am not and live in Florida and am around the zika virus. i would be more concerned if I was trying to have a child, I am not, way too old for that nonsense. There are not mosquitoes around the ship. if concerned wear bug spray with deet. Zika by itself is not a big deal to most.... unless you're pregnant and or planning to be.