I'll be booking a mid ship inside on a deck with cabins above and below

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm looking at a Greek island cruise for next summer

I've cruised the BA Jewel and Gem

Gem being my favorite

Anything I need to know about the Sun?

I'll be booking a mid ship inside on a deck with cabins above and below

The Sun has a small outdoor bow area outside the observation lounge on high deck. Doors to it are on either side of the lounge. Great place for photos when coming into a port.

The layout of the ship is a little different but easy to get used to. We love the Sun, have taken longer cruises on her twice.

I've sailed on the Sun a lot-= at least 12 weeks. The choice was made based on itinerary only. Every other NCL ship I have been on, would be preferred over the Sun, Breakaway, Pearl, Epic, Dawn, Spirit, Star- all sailed in the last 2 years, including 4 weeks on the Sun this past March/April.

But- you are on the wrong ship- the Sun is sailing Alaska next summer. You must be talking about the Star or Spirit?? I'm heading again on the Star Wednesday and was on the Spirit in April. My opinion only- both are preferable over the Sun for me.

The Sun has a small outdoor bow area outside the observation lounge on high deck. Doors to it are on either side of the lounge. Great place for photos when coming into a port. It can get very crowded at those times. But it was a great place to look for marine life travelling between Buenos Aires and San Francisco. It was also a wonderful place to BLOW AWAY the cobwebs when there was a wind blowing!!! :D

The layout of the ship is a little different but easy to get used to. We love the Sun, have taken longer cruises on her twice. We are small ship people and we thoroughly enjoyed the compact nature of the Sun.

It is easy to get to know the "important" (senior) members of the crew (staff) after meeting them at the M&G; they are very approachable. Similarly the front of house staff were really obliging.

Have to disagree with BQ (which I rarely do), Sun is my favorite. it is the right size, crew and management is great and while it has need a full refurb for at least six years, she still feels like "home.". She and others are correct though, Sun hasn't been on that side of the Atlantic in a number of years.

Lol I meant the star.

The biggest differences between the Gem (and Jewel) and the Star is that the Star does not have a great outdoors off the buffet and there is no forward observation lounge.

We have sailed on the Star 3 times with a 4th trip booked in February. We like the Star and particularly the suites on deck 12.

Check out this recent thread for more info:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2398808

Lol I meant the star.

We spent 26 days on the Star, cruising from Copenhagen across the Atlantic and through the Panama Canal. It's a nice size ship with a great crew. I really enjoyed the cruise although I really missed having a scenic observation lounge at the top bow of the ship and I missed having The Great Outdoors aft. Also, there are no windows in the library. But I found other places to enjoy the view or to sit quietly and read. I would sail on the Star again if the itinerary was one I wanted.

As usual, I agree with Mary Kay (and her Joe) in that I (and my Mike) greatly prefer ANY ship with an aft eating/drinking area over a ship without one. So if Star is the only one sailing the itinerary you want, then go for it, but if I had a choice over Star or Jade (which is what we sailed in the Greek Isles), we would go with Jade in a heartbeat.

Edited by Clay Clayton