Questions about Westerdam

jbobst

We just booked the Westerdam for this coming November. It's a Mexican Riviera out of San Diego.

We've done quite a few cruises over the past 12 years, but only one Holland America cruise, back in 2008 on the Ryndam. I had a few questions about HAL and the Westerdam. Would appreciate any information.

First question - in the spa area, are there any "free" things? I assume the thermal suite costs extra $, but what about that large Hydro pool with the showers and lounge area with the bars? Are there steam rooms or saunas available?

Second question - The main dining room and lido buffet are free/included options for eating. What other options are there? I think there is a steakhouse (Pinnacle Grill) and Italian restaurant. What are the upcharge costs for these? Are there any other snack areas similar to the International Cafe on Princess? Is there food/drink options in the Explorers Cafe/Lounge?

Third question - does Muster drill happen out on deck (like Carnival and RCL) or do people stay indoors in various lounges (like Princess)?

Fourth question - Looking at the deck plans of the Westerdam, there are not many public decks, and they seem fairly small. Does the ship feel crowded in the public areas? Our last cruise back in May was on the gigantic Liberty of the Seas. Obviously the Westerdam is a much smaller ship, but I would like to get an idea of how crowded the public areas are. After the Liberty, we are looking forward to a smaller ship with less people. Hopefully it is not overly crowded.

Fifth question - Are there any unique things to HAL that differentiate itself from other cruise lines that we should take advantage of? I remember on the Ryndam, there was fresh squeezed OJ at breakfast, and I love that. It looks like there might be a shortage of OJ and that they may only do that in the main dining room these days. Any other things you can tell us?

Sixth question - we choose the anytime dining option. I assume that prime dinner times are fairly busy (like we've experienced on other cruise lines). Are there any recommendations on the best way to navigate through the anytime dinning system? We do like to eat early typically. Do they have many 2 person tables?

Thanks for any advice! We can't wait for the cruise and are very excited to try HAL once again.

By the way, I am not trying to be negative, but how come on the HAL forum there are so very many threads about ship positions and future cruise listing posts? It makes it very difficult to search for specific keywords since the results are filled with those posts. I've not seen those types of posts on other cruise forums, so just curious. Thanks!

Can't answer all your questions but I will take a stab at some of them.

I have sailed on Liberty OTS and Westerdam. I found Westerdam much quieter and not as crowded. Liberty was a little too big for me.

Prices have just gone up on the alternate dining venues. I believe the Pinnacle Grill went to $35 per person, not sure about Canaletto.

There is a cost for the Hydro pool. You can buy day passes or one good for your entire cruise.

Muster drill is out on deck.

The Dive-In serves burgers, fries, etc. on deck 9 near the Lido (midship) pool. They also have a do-it-yourself taco bar by the Dive-In.

There are specialty coffee and teas for a charge at the Explorations Cafe. They do have small sandwiches and sweets available for no extra cost.

There are a fair number of two tops in the MDR. I have only eaten anytime dining on Liberty (which was an absolute disaster) but I did not hear many complaints on Westerdam about it. If you google "Vista Class HAl cruiser information" you will find a pdf of the dining room layout.

Edited by Scrapnana

Room service is free (not sure if the expanded, for cost room service options are available on Westerdam specifically yet) and the menu is far expanded to what I've seen available on RC. You can even order off the MDR menu for dinner service in your cabin. And generally you aren't limited to what is available on the menu.

You may want to find a table in the MDR you prefer and make reservations for it early each day to secure it.

The fitness center is free of charge unless you participate in one of several classes. The showers, lockers, sauna are free to use.

We've never felt crowded on Westie. Of course, this is a relative thing. There are plenty of indoor and outdoor public areas that should suffice to keep from from feeling over crowded.

You'll find tapas, or appetizers, are served before dinner in several bars, especially during happy hour.

The Future Cruise Listings and Ship Locations threads are rather a tradition on the HAL boards going back many years. We are something of a family here and these threads, while they do complicate certain keyword searches, help to provide a familiar sense of community, reminding us that things are rather larger than just ourselves. Interestingly, not seeing them on other cruise line boards seems disconcerting to me.

Westie is one of our favorite ships. Hope you enjoy your cruise! :)

Edited by 0bnxshs

A lot of your questions have been answered I think.

The Cannaletto (Italian restaurant) has a surcharge of $15.

The Pinnacle Grill is also available for lunch most days at a surcharge of $10. The lunch is really enjoyable IMO.

What makes HAL special? Rich (0bnxshs) has already mentioned room service. There aren't that many cruise lines that let every cabin category order a hot breakfast. There is a 24 hour room service menu and you can order from the Main Dining Room for dinner if you are so inclined.

For your dining, there are certainly busy times, but there are lots of two tops. You can reserve dining times from 5:30 - 6:15/6:30 pm and after 7:30 pm. For the peak times, you just go, make your request and if you need to wait for a table (not always necessary), you are given a pager and can go to a bar, wherever for a drink while you wait.

I too like the Westerdam and haven't felt crowded on her. Check out the Sea View Pool (aft). It is open air versus the Lido Pool area which has a roof which can close depending upon the weather.

Sorry the Future Cruise Listings got in your way of the searches, but if you go to the latest thread - look for the :D icon and add your name, ship and sailing details, we'd be happy to add you and wish you a Bon Voyage before you sail ;)

It's a HAL tradition :)

I see that your questions have been graciously answered by my fellow c.c.ers. I just wanted to say that the Future Cruise Listings and the Bon Voyage threads are what I really enjoy about these HAL boards. Tradition. Community. Sharing.

You will enjoy the Westerdam. Had a wonderful cruise aboard her two years ago. Enjoy!

6 of us were on the Westerdam last year. Hubby and I are going on your same Mexican Riviera cruise this year in December. We always found tables and spaces and never had to wait for anything.

We really liked the ship. We only ate in the Lido twice, once for breakfast and the other time was our first lunch. It was OK but we really prefer the MDR. There are servers in the Lido but we are just not buffet folks, even though its far from a traditional buffet.This time, I may try the room service breakfast on my Dec cruise!

IMHO, Pinnacle Grill..worth it! Canaletto , not so much

The burger place is very good but we loved the taco bar!

The Crows Nest , at the front of the ship, is a nice place to spend an afternoon. The Explorers Lounge had lots of snacks.

We love the Library on HAL. It is a nice and quiet place to just take in the scenery. Lot's of comfortable chairs. Also, there is a jigsaw puzzle on one of the large tables and guests are always working on it. On our recent 14 day cruise to Alaska, I think there were 6-8 huge puzzles completed. You will find guests stopping by to add a piece or two during their busy days. Lot's of fun!

We really enjoyed the thermal suite package when we were on the "Westie". It was not crowded at all, as they limit the # of guests reservations.

Thermal suite and hydropool cost but to me are worth it. Hubby thinks I am batty but hey, it's my vacation. To me, on these class ships they are just wonderful relaxing spaces. Several sauna available in the thermal suite area. So relaxing.

We have never felt crowded on HAL, ever. Plenty of space. More so than on other lines.

The staff on HAL are a treasure. I can't say this enough.

We are always "anytime dining." Eat rather late it seems, 7:30-8 ish so never was an issue for us. We generally do a combo of 2 tops and 6 tops. I am a social butterfly who loves meeting people and hubby likes some space so we compromise through out the cruise. Not an issue if you are early or late from what we have seen.

Some of the forward balconies on deck 4 have metal fronted balconies.

We had level 4 forward Veranda with metal front on one cruise - assigned to us as had guarantee booking. Rather disappointed when received the assignment. However actually we liked it because it was larger than "standard" veranda and didn't find the solid railing a problem. But didn't like because was over showroom so could hear music when retiring for the evening on a couple of nights. But just used my earplugs so really not an issue. But if you retire early and are light sleeper this might be a problem. Last cruise had SS so got spoiled and will be hard to go back to Veranda.

Jane

Some of the forward balconies on deck 4 have metal fronted balconies.

We had level 4 forward Veranda with metal front on one cruise - assigned to us as had guarantee booking. Rather disappointed when received the assignment. However actually we liked it because it was larger than "standard" veranda and didn't find the solid railing a problem. But didn't like because was over showroom so could hear music when retiring for the evening on a couple of nights. But just used my earplugs so really not an issue. But if you retire early and are light sleeper this might be a problem. Last cruise had SS so got spoiled and will be hard to go back to Veranda.

Jane