Back From the Gem-9/3-9/10

April42749

This was our third time on the Gem, 7th NCL cruise and 5th cruise to Canada/NE.

We had a mini-suite....11088. The location was perfect, towards the aft but just a few cabins rear of the mid-ship stairs/elevators. I really liked the curtain between the living area and bed area. I could get dressed "in light" while DH slept. Talking about sleeping....I never slept so well. But, I wouldn't take a mini-suite again because of "the bathtub". It's very high, and if you are short (I am 5'1"), mobility challenged, heavy, frail etc...it won't be for you.

The weather was not perfect, but good enough. We were just ahead of Hurricane Hermine, so we missed the rough seas. We had one day of drizzle in Portland, ME....otherwise good walking around weather.

In Halifax we walked to "The Gardens" which was about half an hour from the ship. It was really nice there....beautiful landscaping.

In Saint John we went on "The Wild Blueberry Farm" tour. This was excellent. We went on an NCL tour, in a mini bus, but there were only 10 people and our guide was very good. The tour itself was about how the blueberries are grown, harvested and products produced. There was a lot of samples and just about everyone walked away with a bag full of "blueberry products".

Portland was a "walking around day". I had a tour planned, but since the ship came from Canada we all had to go thru immigration, and I didn't want to have to rush.

The last stop was Newport. We went to see Touro Synagogue and then met a friend who moved to the area a few years ago.

The entertainment was good. I'm not a "Second City" fan, but all the other shows in the theater were enjoyable. As far as "lounges and atrium" singing, they were ok, but just not my taste.

Most of the meals were in the buffet, which I like because I'm on a restricted diet so I could get as much of my "healthy options" as I wanted.

I did have "treats" daily...and I must say that except for the cookies (at the Great Outdoors) they weren't worth the calories.

There were a few movies in the atrium in the evenings, one of which was "ET". This is on my short list of all time favorites, so I was happy!

There were very few children on board; mostly seniors in various states of health.

I found the elevators to be really slow...annoying slow.

I can't think of anything else right now, but if you have any questions, please ask.

Thanks so much for taking the time to report in !! Leaving on the Gem 10/1 so happy to see a recent review..esp of the NE/Canada...

I see you ate in buffet a lot...but did you also go to MDR ? Curious as to new menus/food selection ...

I love the Gem...and it's crew....;)

Thanks so much for taking the time to report in !! Leaving on the Gem 10/1 so happy to see a recent review..esp of the NE/Canada...

I see you ate in buffet a lot...but did you also go to MDR ? Curious as to new menus/food selection ...

I love the Gem...and it's crew....;)

No MDR, no specialty restaurants. We did eat on lunch in O'Sheehans. I had a Caesar salad/salmon which was pretty good. I had the brownie cheesecake for dessert. When I was on the BA in May I loved it. This time...a waste of calories.

I'm starting to think my taste buds have changed after a year of "healthy living".

I forgot to mention that I was pleasantly surprised that they had almond milk in the buffet (if you asked).

Also....the crew was wonderful.

April42749,sounds like you had a pleasant trip....we are taking this cruise 9/24.. never been on this type of cruise. Usually, we head straight to the beach.. Someone mentioned the pool is heated on the ship, is this true?.. cruise sounds like good photo trip...this info was very helpful

April42749,sounds like you had a pleasant trip....we are taking this cruise 9/24.. never been on this type of cruise. Usually, we head straight to the beach.. Someone mentioned the pool is heated on the ship, is this true?.. cruise sounds like good photo trip...this info was very helpful

I don't know if the pool was heated, but it will probably be too cool for swimming. We did see a few people sunbathing and in the pool/hot tub.

There are photo excursions. In general, there were lots of photo ops....even just walking around. If you like flowers, take a walk to the garden in Halifax. It's really stunning.

I did the treadmill every morning and watched the scenery as we pulled into the ports. The 2 Canadian ports were "picture worthy" because of small islands. Obviously, you can see the views from your balcony or the deck (but it make "treading" a little less boring).