Picture-A-Week-2016 - Week 38

pierces

Sometimes it takes a photo to really see what you are looking at.

I was sitting on my porch and saw something small moving up the trunk of the tree in our front yard. It was a Praying Mantis so I decided to take a quick picture of it. It wasn’t until I looked at the picture on a computer screen that I saw the itsy-bitsy mini-mushrooms growing on the bark of the tree.

DSCF2285%20-%20Copy1_zpsnd5zuzhr.jpg

IMG_9611%20-%20Copy_zpsrqtf3cl0.jpg

Great picture of the Praying Mantis.

Will those tiny mushrooms kill the tree?

That’s a really good question about the mushrooms Krazy Kruizers. I didn’t even think about the damage they might cause the tree. I guess I could spray a fungicide on the tree to kill the mushrooms but for now I’ll just watch for damage. If the mushrooms suddenly increase their numbers dramatically I’ll probably spray the tree. And thank you for the compliment about the Praying Mantis pic.

During this photo week, I went up to Disney for my September break vacation - as usual though, I couldn't help but still photograph wildlife, both captive (at Animal Kingdom park) and wild (around my resort hotel property), with my A6300 and FE70-300mm lens combo:

Since the park started extending to nighttime hours, the safari truck ride has become much more interesting and challenging for wildlife photographers - now you have the opportunity, and difficulty, of shooting the animals from a moving safari truck AT NIGHT! The cool part is that you get a few extra animals not there during the day, and also some of the animals that tend to be more active at night, like the hippos that can be found out of the water for a change. The hard part is you need seriously high ISOs - this one was at ISO 20,000:

original.jpg

A nice portrait closeup of a colobus monkey, checking out my camera:

original.jpg

Another portrait closeup - this time of a muddy, caked meercat emerging from a hole he was just furiously digging:

original.jpg

Of the more wild variety - the lake behind my resort had lots of Florida wading bird action, including this lovely great egret flying very low just over the water:

original.jpg

And in the trees just off my balcony, this squirrel scored himself a nice pine cone:

original.jpg

I couldn't help but still photograph wildlife, both captive (at Animal Kingdom park) and wild (around my resort hotel property), with my A6300 and FE70-300mm lens combo:

Great shots, as usual.

I'm going on a cruise a little more than 3-weeks from now and will be lugging the 70-300mm. With my hands, I guess 1/125 or higher will have to do!

Great shots, as usual.

I'm going on a cruise a little more than 3-weeks from now and will be lugging the 70-300mm. With my hands, I guess 1/125 or higher will have to do!

Thanks Tommui987.

I find the stabilization actually pretty good on this lens - I'd even venture a guess it's slightly better than on the FE70-200mm F4 lens, surprisingly...I'd feel pretty safe giving it a 3 stop rating for effectiveness, if not pushing 4. So that may help figure where your handholding limit is with the lens...I've gotten away with as little as 1/10 at 70mm - well under the old 1-over-focal rule. I am fairly steady though - even without stabilization I can fairly reliably handhold at about 1/2 of the 1-over-focal - with stabilization getting me as much as 3 more stops less in a push.

Most cruises are to places with decent light - so you should be OK - unless you're headed on a northern cruise to the lands of grey skies and mist!

As the all-day fog was finally clearing and the sun finally poked through, this odd meteorological phenomenon appeared. Because of the very small size of water droplets that cause fog, a fogbow has little or no color.

Fogbow

p514502924-5.jpg

Dave