Universal Studios with late Port Canaveral 12:30 pm arrival

HLR

Hi All!

So...what do people think? Sailing solo on Anthem and will dock at Port Canaveral on Sunday December 18th, 2016. What is the best plan for visiting the Wizarding World of Harry Potter?

Facts:

The Park Calendar says it will be VERY BUSY that day.

We are scheduled to dock at 12:30 pm so won't get there on the ship's shuttle till 1:30 or 2 pm?

Park is open late but we set sail at 9:30 pm.

I can use the "Single Rider" lane and save big time in lines.

Sounds like a "One Park" day and I wouldn't have time for two parks and would miss the Train Ride between the two [sad Face]

I am thinking Hogsmeade and the one park.

Any insider experiences with arriving so late in the day?

HLR

Hi All!

So...what do people think? Sailing solo on Anthem and will dock at Port Canaveral on Sunday December 18th, 2016. What is the best plan for visiting the Wizarding World of Harry Potter?

Facts:

The Park Calendar says it will be VERY BUSY that day.

We are scheduled to dock at 12:30 pm so won't get there on the ship's shuttle till 1:30 or 2 pm?

Park is open late but we set sail at 9:30 pm.

I can use the "Single Rider" lane and save big time in lines.

Sounds like a "One Park" day and I wouldn't have time for two parks and would miss the Train Ride between the two [sad Face]

I am thinking Hogsmeade and the one park.

Any insider experiences with arriving so late in the day?

HLR

One alternative is to use your Roll Call to find others who want to go with you, and hire private transportation or rent a car together. Then you can hit the road quickly and decide when YOU want to return to the ship.

Interesting note on their website. I would think that December 18 would be before the rush, that schools would still be in session.

But they are the experienced ones in this situation.

Universal Islands of Adventure is certainly doable in one day. There is new Harry Potter stuff there, but if you prefer the other park, then you should do that.

Even with a car service you won't be in the park until close to 2:00. You would need to leave by 7:30 at the very absolute latest to make sure you didn't get caught in a traffic snarl or get a flat and miss the ship. Personally there is no way I would spend that much money for 5.5 hours. December 18 is a Sunday, I would expect very heavy crowds from locals using their annual passes before the holiday blackout dates kick in.

I would not do this unless you like heavy crowds & standing in a line for 3 hours for 1 ride.

The way the calendar is this year, many schools gets the entire week off before Xmas. I know ours does.

Xmas break is the busiest time of the year.

You need to make a special trip and go for 3 days during the off season..

Edited by matj2000

Even with a car service you won't be in the park until close to 2:00. You would need to leave by 7:30 at the very absolute latest to make sure you didn't get caught in a traffic snarl or get a flat and miss the ship. Personally there is no way I would spend that much money for 5.5 hours. December 18 is a Sunday, I would expect very heavy crowds from locals using their annual passes before the holiday blackout dates kick in.

Ah!!! Locals and blackout dates! Good observation. The calendar shows "Slow" thru the 14th and jumps to VERY BUSY on Sat the 17th.

I would prefer to take the ship's shuttle so I wouldn't have to worry about the flat tire/traffic thing.

HLR

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but, We went in late January. Friday thru Sunday. Harry Potter was crazy busy all of the time! It's the most popular part of the park right now. We went early in the morning, by the afternoon the single rider wait was 2 hours! Sunday was worse than Saturday.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but, We went in late January. Friday thru Sunday. Harry Potter was crazy busy all of the time! It's the most popular part of the park right now. We went early in the morning, by the afternoon the single rider wait was 2 hours! Sunday was worse than Saturday.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Oh dear...I am so not into Space Travel...

Five and a half hours is a pretty long day in the park!

Not really.

We spent 8.5 hours last Nov for 3 days Nov.

Needed to max it out and do everything multiple times because I am probably not coming back, at least for 8 years. $$$$$

I pulled the kids out of school and the crowds were minimal. Lots of foreigners.

We did the Harry Potter ride 6 times in a row, just kept going back around & around. probably a 5 min wait....

Staying for 3 extra days after our Oasis cruise in March to take our Harry Potter mad kids to Universal. I've never been before, are the express passes worth the extra $$$? Thanks for any advice!

Not worth it if you're a muggle looking to take in as much HP rides as possible.

"Not valid at Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey ™, Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts™ and other select attractions.

Not valid at Hogwarts™ Express."

HLR...not sure if I would be comfy with that day (seriously paranoid about missing a ship), but another idea...

See about booking a hotel room that day at Royal Pacific, Hard Rock Hotel, or Portofino Bay. Stop in at the hotel to check in and get your unlimited Express Pass that's included with a room at one of those hotels. Walk or boat to the park, use the EP on almost everything in the parks.

As stated, it's not on Gringott's, Forbidden Journey, Hogwarts Express. Also not good for Ollivanders wand shop show, Pteranodon Flyers, or the spinny ride in Simpsons "land".

But it's good for everything else, including the two coasters in Wizarding World.

Could give you a better day!

We have visited Universal several times, some supposed to be quieter and the Potter rides have still been busy.

I suggest you go with a clear priority of the 1/2 rides you are desperate to do and then choose a non Harry Potter show near to departure time so that you aren't caught still queuing when the coach is about to leave....If you get there and it is really unbearably mad consider your Plan B of enjoying some other rides and shows then at least your day wil not be wasted.

As others have said staying for longer would be better but not seeing it at all or having a few hours there, I'd go for the few hours!! Make sure you do spend a few minutes just standing and looking at the staging, it is amazing...

Have a magical day!

Not really.

We spent 8.5 hours last Nov for 3 days Nov.

Needed to max it out and do everything multiple times because I am probably not coming back, at least for 8 years. $$$$$

I pulled the kids out of school and the crowds were minimal. Lots of foreigners.

We did the Harry Potter ride 6 times in a row, just kept going back around & around. probably a 5 min wait....

If you were there in the middle of the month and avoided Jersey week/Veteran's Day and Thanksgiving, I'm sure it was very slow. Big difference between that and a Sunday the week before Christmas week starts, when many AP holders go to see the park decorated for the holidays. It's also not a blackout period for the employees who get to bring their families in for a day for a holiday celebration like the 18th would be.

HLR...not sure if I would be comfy with that day (seriously paranoid about missing a ship), but another idea...

See about booking a hotel room that day at Royal Pacific, Hard Rock Hotel, or Portofino Bay. Stop in at the hotel to check in and get your unlimited Express Pass that's included with a room at one of those hotels. Walk or boat to the park, use the EP on almost everything in the parks.

As stated, it's not on Gringott's, Forbidden Journey, Hogwarts Express. Also not good for Ollivanders wand shop show, Pteranodon Flyers, or the spinny ride in Simpsons "land".

But it's good for everything else, including the two coasters in Wizarding World.

Could give you a better day!

Except you are taking away half an hour (or more) of park time messing with checking in and additional transportation times, and spending a minimum of $200 for the room. This is simply not a viable option unless he's made of gold. If the budget is unlimited, he'd be better off booking a private VIP tour that would pretty much get him a backdoor into every ride without a wait.

Lived 5 minutes from Universal for years and watched it being built. Would not even think about doing what you are planning unless you are VIP with a guide and priority access. Orlando area schools should be on vacation at that time and many of my former students would go to parks at that time of year.

There is so much to see and do at Universal and that is a lot to spend for such a short visit. Not to mention the possibility of not getting back to ship on time.

Suggest you ask your question on the FLORIDA DEPARTURE BOARD and see what advice they give.

Enjoy your cruise.

Interesting note on their website. I would think that December 18 would be before the rush, that schools would still be in session.

Here, in Central Florida, as well as many other School Districts, school is out for 2 weeks. Friday the 16th, is the last day of school for Christmas break. It will be one of the busiest days.

Schools starting early here, middle of August and 2 weeks off at Christmas, a week for Spring Break, and many other days during the year.

Edited by troykahack

If you were there in the middle of the month and avoided Jersey week/Veteran's Day and Thanksgiving, I'm sure it was very slow. Big difference between that and a Sunday the week before Christmas week starts, when many AP holders go to see the park decorated for the holidays. It's also not a blackout period for the employees who get to bring their families in for a day for a holiday celebration like the 18th would be.

We did Wed, Thr, Fri, the week before Thanksgiving and it was perfect.

Maybe a little cold for the wet rides but we still did them..

I hate to be negative, but for me, the value of a Universal day with this schedule is just not there. It will certainly be very busy in the Wizarding World by the time you arrive. My family visited Universal during a 'slow' time of year last year (first week of November), and WWoHP was always busy. The other thing that happened quite a bit was ride breakdowns. Of our three Universal Days, we had one day with no problems, one day with Gringotts being down all morning, but up the rest of the day, and one day with Gringotts and the train being down most of the day. It would be incredibly disappointing to plan and pay for all of that, just to not be able to do the couple of things you wanted to do.

You can consider buying either the express pass for 89.99 or using their Q-bot ride reservation systems which is somewhere between 20.00-30.00 cheaper than express pass. Below is a link to the information about the Q-bot system.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Neither the express or the Q-bot is available on the Harry Potter rides, you will need to stand in line for that. Single rider is your best bet and usually approximately half the wait of the regular line. Good Luck.

http://orlandoinformer.com/universal/q-bot-ride-reservation-system

Except you are taking away half an hour (or more) of park time messing with checking in and additional transportation times, and spending a minimum of $200 for the room. This is simply not a viable option unless he's made of gold. If the budget is unlimited, he'd be better off booking a private VIP tour that would pretty much get him a backdoor into every ride without a wait.

And gaining way more than that half hour back with the EP unless he only wanted to ride FJ and Gringotts all dayp.

$200 does not mean he's made of gold. VIP tour is probably more!

It's an idea. One I would 100% do if I were comfy with going at all. He can look into it if he chooses. :)

(People do this sort of thing...cab over to that one hotel in Nassau to get the passes for Atlantis....all the time...nothing new about it but he might not be aware of the option)

He could also just buy the unlimited express pass. But depending on the number of people in his party he might want to loop back to the hotel option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk