Universal Studios with late Port Canaveral 12:30 pm arrival

HLR

There is absolutely no way I would recommend this. Traveling to/from the ship and PC is bad enough, but then to try to enter the park, make it to the HP park (which is in the back of Universal Studios), do a handful of rides IF YOU ARE LUCKY, and then race back to the ship is NOT the way you are going to want to remember that day or the park. WWoHP is something that you will want to linger over. There is SO much to see and rushing madly through it just to do a few rides is not worth it. Do yourself a favor and save it for another time. Book a cruise that begins/ends at PC and tack on 2-3 days pre or post cruise. You can then have a leisurely day or two at the parks (and the only way to ride the Hogwarts Express is to have a park hopper pass which is very expensive). Trust me, if you love HP you will want to savor every moment and explore each nook and cranny of the area. You won't be able to do that at all with your extremely limited time frame.

It will also be a busy day with locals.

Well weekends are busier than weekdays obviously but the first 2 weeks of December and the exact opposite of Christmas. Some of the slowest weeks of the year.

Thank you both, I think we may still go to Universal even if it's just for 5 1/2 -6 hrs., it's something different to do.

DW had a conference last year and we did a couple of days pre-conference staying at on site UA hotel. We bought the EZ Pass as it was cheap if you stayed at on site hotel. EZ is of no use at HP land.

Yes, HP land is very cool even better than I thought and I am not a HP fan (never read a book or watched a movie), but still very cool.

I would not do this plan. It's way to much $$$ for what little time you have at the park.

Five and a half hours is a pretty long day in the park!

Five and a half hours isn't much time to be spending $110 or whatever it is especially like Mat said with the lines you will encounter. Would definitely do a land trip in the future, not worth it to me.

Five and a half hours isn't much time to be spending $110 or whatever it is especially like Mat said with the lines you will encounter. Would definitely do a land trip in the future, not worth it to me.

Depends on when you go. If you go at the right time of year, you can do all 4 Disney parks in 1 days. Well not every ride but all the good ones. So it's just a matter of perspective and what you are trying to accomplish. I've been to both probably 50-60 times.

Depends on when you go. If you go at the right time of year, you can do all 4 Disney parks in 1 days. Well not every ride but all the good ones. So it's just a matter of perspective and what you are trying to accomplish. I've been to both probably 50-60 times.

The OP posted the exact date he was planning.

Everyone including the Universal website told him it was it will be "Very Busy"

Keep in mind, many of the single rider lines miss the best part of the ride - the line itself! If you do decide to go (but honestly, was worth a proper trip - just book another cruise that starts at Port C!), take the single rider lines but remember to go back and do the "Castle tour only" line at Hogwarts. You can't miss the amazing work they've done!

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

The OP posted the exact date he was planning.

Everyone including the Universal website told him it was it will be "Very Busy"

Which I responded to previously. Which you would have seen I advised him not to go. Also a different date was also asked about. It was more just a general response to 5 1/2 hours not being enough time.

Edited by Lordnlkon

DW had a conference last year and we did a couple of days pre-conference staying at on site UA hotel. We bought the EZ Pass as it was cheap if you stayed at on site hotel. EZ is of no use at HP land.

Do you mean Express Pass?

There is no discount on the purchased EP if you stay onsite. Rather, if you stay at Royal Pacific Resort, Hard Rock Hotel, or Portofino Bay Hotel you get it INCLUDED. If you stay at Cabana Bay or Sapphire Falls, you get early entrance but NOT EP. Buying Express Pass is no different for a guest at CB or SF than for an offsite guest.

And it IS good on the coasters in Wizarding World- Flight of the Hippogriff and Dragon Challenge. The misinformation about what EP covers and what it doesn't is painful!

If you're into rides with screens like FJ and Gringott's then it's of no use, but if you like coasters that really move you around and are fun, then it IS of use in Wizarding World (IOA specifically b/c that's where those two coasters are).

OP, decide what rides you want and make your decision that way, if Wizarding World is the only reason you're going.

Just remember WW is in the back of IOA and almost at the back of Studios.

Edited by mollyeilis

Put money aside, I know we'll only have time to go to one park, should we do Universal for Diagon Alley or Islands of Adventure for Hogsmeade? Would we be able to experience all of what one park has to offer for HP in 5 1/2 hour? I am aware we would not be able to do the Hogwarts Express.

If you enjoy thrill rides, Islands of Adventure is the only choice. Dragon Challenge, Flight of the Hippogriff, and the Forbidden Journey are all in Hogsmeade, not to mention the recently-refurbished Hulk rollercoaster in Superhero Island; all of which accept the Express Pass (except Forbidden Journey). Universal Studios only has Escape From Gringott's, which doesn't have an Express Pass option.

I was just there a few weeks ago, and I'm a rollercoaster junkie. IoA was where I spent most of my time. Take that for what it's worth. :)

"The thing is" that there are very limited options for a port call at Port Canaveral. Thus, Universal is a pretty good choice even if 5 1/2 hours is not ideal.

I would only, and ONLY suggest this if one is utilizing a RCCL mode of transit as the OP suggests. The interstate is a hot mess and under construction, especially busy near the theme parks. There are way too many traffic variables for me to consider this as an option. That's speaking as a local.

It is a small enough park, that if you paid extra for the express pass, you may hit the major rides. I would be prepared for a very busy park day, and understand that traffic can easily become a one hour parking lot. Also school is out, and it is not a restricted day on my AP

Edited by nimbex1970

I would say it depends. What is most important? In the short amount of time I would recommend one of two plans of action.

1)If you are a big HP fan than plan on doing only that. People have been known to wait for hours just to get into the store. If you have time when you are done great. But unlikely.

2) Not such a big fan of hp? if you can afford it buy the express pass. this will allow you to go on the most rides in your short time there. You can order the express pass online and save time. if you are not into big rollercoasters you can go on the less popular rides and save money.

I would also like to make a alternative suggestion. I do not know if tgis is anoption that you can book with rccl but:

Seaworld now has the best christmas decorations in orlando ( since osborne lights ended last year) and is the park that you can accomplish the most in during a half day.

Or stay on the ship and enjoy less crowds.

Other thoughts:

1)You will be visiting during the busiest time of the year. What ever you thinks you can get done cut it in half.

2)The day that you are going is the last day for MANNHEIM STEAMROLLER at 7pm at universal studios. If you are not interested in seeing it go to islands for shorter lines.

3) you are right to use the cruises transportation. Traffic can get bad you do not want to miss the ship.

I did this on my NCL cruise but I booked it through them because that way they can't leave you. I did both parks I also rode the train & ate at three broomsticks went to ollivander's with time to spare.......hope this helps btw we went in October

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

If you enjoy thrill rides, Islands of Adventure is the only choice. Dragon Challenge, Flight of the Hippogriff, and the Forbidden Journey are all in Hogsmeade, not to mention the recently-refurbished Hulk rollercoaster in Superhero Island; all of which accept the Express Pass (except Forbidden Journey). Universal Studios only has Escape From Gringott's, which doesn't have an Express Pass option.

I was just there a few weeks ago, and I'm a rollercoaster junkie. IoA was where I spent most of my time. Take that for what it's worth. :)

Thank you :)

I would say it depends. What is most important? In the short amount of time I would recommend one of two plans of action.

1)If you are a big HP fan than plan on doing only that. People have been known to wait for hours just to get into the store. If you have time when you are done great. But unlikely.

2) Not such a big fan of hp? if you can afford it buy the express pass. this will allow you to go on the most rides in your short time there. You can order the express pass online and save time. if you are not into big rollercoasters you can go on the less popular rides and save money.

I would also like to make a alternative suggestion. I do not know if tgis is anoption that you can book with rccl but:

Seaworld now has the best christmas decorations in orlando ( since osborne lights ended last year) and is the park that you can accomplish the most in during a half day.

Or stay on the ship and enjoy less crowds.

Other thoughts:

1)You will be visiting during the busiest time of the year. What ever you thinks you can get done cut it in half.

2)The day that you are going is the last day for MANNHEIM STEAMROLLER at 7pm at universal studios. If you are not interested in seeing it go to islands for shorter lines.

3) you are right to use the cruises transportation. Traffic can get bad you do not want to miss the ship.

We will be using transportation from the cruise line. DH is a HP fan and we're just going to do one park. I know HP is in 2 parks, but if you had a choice, which park would you recommend for HP?

Other thoughts:

It's ME! The Original Poster! Been keeping an eye on this...

Now point #2 is a REAL GOOD detail to know about!

I don't know when I would get to Universal again...so being alone sitting on the ship...when I could be with people sitting in traffic? And waiting in lines...I'll have to decide. Can't be worse than going to the Hermitage in St Petersburg!

HLR

It's ME! The Original Poster! Been keeping an eye on this...

Now point #2 is a REAL GOOD detail to know about!

I don't know when I would get to Universal again...so being alone sitting on the ship...when I could be with people sitting in traffic? And waiting in lines...I'll have to decide. Can't be worse than going to the Hermitage in St Petersburg!

HLR

Consider Kennedy Space Center. The Atlantis display alone is worth the price and it is only a 15 minute trip from the port.

I did this on my NCL cruise but I booked it through them because that way they can't leave you. I did both parks I also rode the train & ate at three broomsticks went to ollivander's with time to spare.......hope this helps btw we went in October

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

How long were you at the parks that day?

I was in Orlando for work solo awhile back the last day was just a drive home day. So I went to Universal Island of A, I was there first open so that might change things for you. I can't remember exact times but I was able to do everything I was interested in doing before lunch about 4 +/- hours tops and left to drive home.

I will say that the single rider line on some of the rides by passes some of the fun story stuff that you get to see in line. I would suggest going on the single first to make sure you get to ride everything then go back as the day passes people will get tired and head home so lines will be smaller.

I think you will be fine, time of year and being solo work in your favor. I would caution against teaming with others, yes you would get there sooner but you would lose that time being in the normal lines. And you would benefit from the luxury of being solo and doing what you want

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Hi All!

So...what do people think? Sailing solo on Anthem and will dock at Port Canaveral on Sunday December 18th, 2016. What is the best plan for visiting the Wizarding World of Harry Potter?

Facts:

The Park Calendar says it will be VERY BUSY that day.

We are scheduled to dock at 12:30 pm so won't get there on the ship's shuttle till 1:30 or 2 pm?

Park is open late but we set sail at 9:30 pm.

I can use the "Single Rider" lane and save big time in lines.

Sounds like a "One Park" day and I wouldn't have time for two parks and would miss the Train Ride between the two [sad Face]

I am thinking Hogsmeade and the one park.

Any insider experiences with arriving so late in the day?

HLR

Having a season pass to universal ,we don't go near the park that time of year .

Just to add my 2 cents. We have a second home in Winter Haven (Orlando area) and made the mistake of going down at Christmas. What a zoo! Traffic and people everywhere. I would echo the seniments of most of the other posters, DON'T DO IT! You would have a significant chance of missing you departure.

Just to add my 2 cents. We have a second home in Winter Haven (Orlando area) and made the mistake of going down at Christmas. What a zoo! Traffic and people everywhere. I would echo the seniments of most of the other posters, DON'T DO IT! You would have a significant chance of missing you departure.

Hi!

Just to be clear...you went "at" Christmas or a week before Christmas? [This is the Sunday the week before Xmas Day]

We would take the Ship's Shuttle so unless we missed getting on the bus...we wouldn't miss our ship's departure.

I just kinda feel that going to a very busy Hogsmead is better than doing nothing on an empty ship. [Which many people enjoy...but we do have 3 sea days out of the 6]

HLR