Oasis of the Seas 9/3/16 Trip Report

aubreyc1988

Where is Sabor? We go on the Oasis on Saturday and were on it in 2013. I don't remember Sabor being there. Thanks.

On the Boardwalk, across from Johnny Rockets. It used to be Seafood Shack. Was replaced a little more than 2 years ago.

San Juan Cont...

After touring El Morro on my own a bit more, I went back to get my husband and I myself started to lose steam, felt a bit dehydrated. We only brought one water bottle. We weren't thinking clearly when we were getting ready in the morning, but to be fair, we did get up at 6am!

2rcverr.jpg

So we left El Morro to head to Old San Juan for some food and drinks, and HOPEFULLY AC.

We found someone selling gatorade and water right outside El Morro and we bought 2 gatorades, 2.00 each!! Can't even buy them at home for 2.00, what a DEAL. We sat down to drink them and instantly felt better.

ddgoli.jpg

ny5i8k.jpg

These pics of Old San Juan were taken about 10:30 am, so was pretty quiet in town. So quaint, we loved it!

2vxm3rb.jpg

2qavj7p.jpg

I *think* these blue cobblestones are original. I read somewhere that they are replacing a lot of the old cobblestone with new pavers, and that the blue cobblestones are the original ones. If anyone knows, feel free to chime in

nvs8p4.jpg

San Juan Cont...

We ate at a restaurant called El Jibarito and it was delish! Get there as soon as they open (11am) because the line gets UNBELIEVABLE!

97mfew.jpg

We waited a while for our food, maybe 20 minutes - 30 minutes. One chef was working, so not sure if they were just short staffed or if its typical. I ordered Beef Empanadas and Fried Corn Sticks, both were small bites plates, 3.50 each I believe. About 5 per plate. My husband ordered a full entree, something chicken I believe with plantain and some sort of flavored rice. My small bites were delicious and I wish I had ordered more, but we didn't have time to wait around to put in another order of them. My husbands entree was good, if a bit different in flavor. Our bill was 30.00 with tip for the 2 small bites plates, a full entree, and a coke and a bottled water.

2ywivma.jpg

ivlic9.jpg

Then we headed back to the ship. On the way there, we went inside a shop and bought a print of the streets of San Juan.

ngf33a.jpg

I can't fully describe the CHAOS it was to get back to the port where the Oasis was docked. I don't know why the San Juan authorities haven't figured out how to do this in a better way, but it's like 500 people trying to get through a tiny gate with two - three security guards checking or not checking IDs as people go through the gates. SO many people forgot to bring their photo IDs which caused a LOT of hold up getting through the gates, so remember to bring them! Once you get through the gate, no trouble getting back on board with seapass.

I did miss the NCL welcome back, when they give you lovely cold wet towels for your face and water and freeze pops. No such welcome back onto the Oasis, but we were ready to go to the Solarium to relax after such a long day :D

Here is my Periscope video of walking around in Old San Juan, which you can watch on replay :)

https://www.periscope.tv/aubreyc1988/1mnxeYjQBNWxX

Labadee, Haiti

We have been to Labadee years ago, but didn't really remember what it was like

30k3yiv.jpg

It was definitely beautiful! However, the water was a bit rocky and not as nice as the water at Pinel Island. We didn't stay at the beach for long because of that, and all the excursions like Zipline were too costly and weren't really interested in it. My swim shoes were causing me pain and I didn't want to put them back on, and I couldn't go in the water without my swim shoes, that is how rocky it is there. Maybe next time Ill bring a inner tube or floaty to enjoy the beach there.

So we went back on board Oasis for lunch at Windjammer and didn't get back off.

I'll be posting more tonight about Bars, Bar Service, Drinks and Drink Menus and overall rating and thoughts.

Bars, Bar Service, Quality of drinks, etc

e9erkx.jpg

I thought the number of bars were very impressive and MOST bars were very versatile on making drinks you got from other bars. On Norwegian ships, especially the newer ones, if you are sitting at the Mojito Bar, you can’t get a martini there because they only have rum there, etc. I only found this sort of thing to happen to me once. I ordered a pomegranate martini at the champagne bar, and wasn’t able to get the exact thing at Solarium, but they did make it pretty close. Of course, there are some bars, like the Sorrento’s one, where it’s obviously a small bar, so they might not be able to make you something because they only have a few bottles of liquor there.

This is a substitute drink Daniel from Solarium Bar made for me when I asked for a pomegranate martini, and it was very good, very close to the actual one I ordered at the champagne bar!

jucxs9.jpg

Bar service was outstanding. I never met anyone who wasn’t excellent. They make drinks fast and are always smiling and ready to talk to you about your day. Daniel and Bobby at the solarium were our favorites. I also met Michael at the Trellis Bar on the first day, and he was AWESOME! I didn’t frequent the Trellis Bar much because it always seemed too hot in Central Park, there wasn’t much of a breeze and it just wasn’t as enjoyable to sit and drink there in terms of temperature.

Drink Menu At Solarium Bar (Although you could order pretty much whatever you want

2nrd5sj.jpg

As far as quality goes, drinks were made well, only had a couple strange ones. My favorites were Cosmos, Pomegranate Martini, Royal Paloma, those are just a few. In my experience, you didn’t have to specify if you asked for a Cosmo what kind of vodka you wanted, they always put greygoose/belvedere or a top shelf brand in my drinks, unless I ordered a drink off the menu that said it contained a particular brand. If you ask for a rum and coke, they would ask what type of rum. I always ordered by saying “Captain and Coke”, but they will ask you if you aren’t specific, which is nice. On Norwegian, I definitely wasn’t asked sometimes and sure they probably just a bottom shelf rum in sometimes. Small things like that make drinking at bars just a little more enjoyable

zwddnr.jpg

On one of the sea days, we were bored so I went to Champagne Bar with my husband to check out the Martini Clinic. I didn’t think they would charge me because I had the Premium Package, but was ok with paying it for my husband who didn’t have the package. They charge you even if you have the premium package, btw. It was 58.00 for both of us, each one of us got 6 mini martinis. Definitely not worth the cost, even if you don’t have the package. We did dessert martinis - we did a gin flavored one, a tequila one, a coffee one, a black raspberry chocolate one, a cheesecake one, and one other I can’t remember. There wasn’t much instruction, just a lot of watching of two bartenders make the drinks and them commenting on what liquor went in what drink. Let me know if you have any other questions on this.

zn7hhy.jpg

Overall, was very satisfied with the bars and bars service on Oasis of the Seas. CHEERS!

n6vmlf.jpg

The lobster fee in the MDR was 20.00 I believe, for a whole lobster, which is still a better option to me than going to Chops.

You had to pay for a meal in the MDR? Seriously? Is this the norm on RC and do you have to pay for other meals? a bread roll? We're booked on our first RC cruise next month and I'm beginning to think we're paying a lot of money for a cruise with no meals.

Edited by wishfulone

You had to pay for a meal in the MDR? Seriously? Is this the norm on RC and do you have to pay for other meals? a bread roll? We're booked on our first RC cruise next month and I'm beginning to think we're paying a lot of money for a cruise with no meals.

all MDR meals are free, but there are upcharge items, like lobster and chops filet.

all MDR meals are free, but there are upcharge items, like lobster and chops filet.

I've read there is lobster on one of the formal nights. Is there an upcharge on this night or only if you want lobster on other nights?

Thank you for taking the time to do a review and answer questions. :)

I've read there is lobster on one of the formal nights. Is there an upcharge on this night or only if you want lobster on other nights?

Thank you for taking the time to do a review and answer questions. :)

There is lobster for SURE on the second formal night. I didn't dine in the MDR on the first one, but I am fairly sure they only offer it for free on the second formal night.

You can get the upcharge one on any of the nights, even formal nights, the upcharge items stay on the menu every night.

If you want lobster/a good filet but don't want to pay the Chops cover charge, I would pay the fee while dining in the MDR. It's cheaper, and the ambience is the same, not much difference I would assume and would save some $$