Favorite excursions in Cozumel & Yucatan

AidenandCasensMommy

Cozumel is always a beach day for me. Normally Paradise Beach but last week we took a cab to Playa Palancar. It doesn't have a pool like Paradise but it was nice and quiet. Mister Sanchos is also popular and you have to reserve a spot ahead of time.

Yucatan I recommend taking a tour with Auto Progreso. They are the company that runs the shuttles from the cruise port to downtown Progreso. Once you get off the buss on Progreso there will be a little booth with their tours and prices. We did a tour of one of the ruins and a tour of Merida. It was a combo tour and cost us $39 per person. We loved the ruins but felt meh about the city tour because it wasn't much of a tour. With Auto Progreso after your tour is over they take you straight back to port instead of downtown Progreso where you have to hop the shuttle back to port.

I agree with the poster above. We always go to Playa Palancar in Coz for a quiet beach day. In Progreso, we have been on several trips with Auto Progreso-Dzib and Uxml ruins, Technotel and Reef Club for the AI beach. In the past they also did side trips to Xcambo ruins but they don't seem to offer this now.

My hubby & I will be going without the kids in November. I'm starting to look at possible excursions. Which have been your faves?

By far, my favorites were Tulum and Rio Secreto. It requires a ferry ride to the mainland however. Next time, we're planning on checking out Nachi Cocom for beach day.

We've been to Cozumel over 10 times on ships and have done something different each time. The ONLY repeat tour has been Cozumel Bar Hop Bus. Soooo much fun, and if you are going without kids, this may be a great opportunity. It's a tour that takes you to the "wild" side of the island where there are a few really fun beach bars, gorgeous views, few people and beautiful blue water. It was so much fun the first two times, I think we would do it again!

We've been to Nachi, cat snorkeling, mini-subs, dune buggies, Chankanaab, sailing, etc. For an adults only day away from the crowds.....Bar Hop Bus is the way to go!

We have been to Cozumel twice. First time we did Mr. Sanchos all inclusive and loved it. Great food, drinks, beach with your own table/chairs/umbrella/loungers, pool with a swim-up bar, etc.

Second time we did the Dolphin swim and manatee encounter at Chaknaab which was a blast! After the organized excursion you can explore the park. Beach where you can rent snorkel gear, restaurant, tequila tasting, sea lion show, Mayan ruin replicas, etc. It is a neat place to visit.

We will be visiting again in November and in February and plan to do the highly recommended Bar Hop in Nov and the Cenote Swim and Turtle Cove Snorkel in Feb.

Always lots of great excursions available in Coz~

Have fun! :D

Bar Hop tour.

Does this tour give you time to go in the water. Are the beaches nice? Trying to decide if we should wear our swimsuits.

The first stop, Punta Morena has a small pool and some sheltered sea areas for getting wet and cooling off and will be your best opportunity. The beach club offers surfing lessons. The east side is not generally recommended for swimming due to currents and undertow.

You will only have about 40 mins at each stop, up to you whether this is enough time.

We've been to Cozumel over 10 times on ships and have done something different each time. The ONLY repeat tour has been Cozumel Bar Hop Bus. Soooo much fun, and if you are going without kids, this may be a great opportunity. It's a tour that takes you to the "wild" side of the island where there are a few really fun beach bars, gorgeous views, few people and beautiful blue water. It was so much fun the first two times, I think we would do it again!

We've been to Nachi, cat snorkeling, mini-subs, dune buggies, Chankanaab, sailing, etc. For an adults only day away from the crowds.....Bar Hop Bus is the way to go!

Is this thru the cruiseline or independent?

Is this thru the cruiseline or independent?

Yes, independant. Just follow the link provided above or search Cozumel Bar Hop. It's so much fun.

You can swim/get wet if you like at a couple of stops, but like stated earlier, you only have about 50 minutes at each stop. We opted to have a drink, walk the beach, grab a bite to eat, take a lot of photos, listen to music and socialize. We mostly just wander around looking at the decor and views from these really fun, beachy locations. Had a 10 minute chair massage at the last stop. It was AWESOME!

Beaches are GORGEOUS, but swimming can be a hazard depending on the ocean conditions. You can definitley walk out into the water, but I wouldn't recommend actually "swimming". Yes there is a small pool at the first stop as well. They also have the fish pedicures here if you are interested in that. Plenty of little shops too, but they don't push that.

It's just a great way to see more of the island than just going to a beach club with hundreds of other cruise passengers. The guides are GREAT!!! So informative and fun. They will make sure everyone is having a good time.

Edited by mrsfuzzmo

Hi. I've been also debating the bar hop. It gets so many rave reviews, and everyone says how much fun it is. But all I think when I see the name is 'party bus'. What is it about it that makes it so fun? We won't have the kids with us, so this is the opportunity for us to do it. I just can't decide between this and Mr. Sanchos. We'll be there I think from 10am to 7pm, do also unsure if the bar hop is a good use of our time or if it would be right in the middle of the day etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Our favorite Coz excursion has been the Twister boat to Passion Island. The boat over and back is so much fun, the beach is gorgeous, food and drinks and included, massages if you want to buy them etc.

This time I have 2 teens and a 23yr old going, they picked Playa Mia for the new floating obstacle water course and boats they can use.

Hi. I've been also debating the bar hop. It gets so many rave reviews, and everyone says how much fun it is. But all I think when I see the name is 'party bus'. What is it about it that makes it so fun? We won't have the kids with us, so this is the opportunity for us to do it. I just can't decide between this and Mr. Sanchos. We'll be there I think from 10am to 7pm, do also unsure if the bar hop is a good use of our time or if it would be right in the middle of the day etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have to admit that the "name"' put me off booking for a long time, before we decided to give it a try. I was concerned there may be organized "party games" but we didn't find that to be the case. We have only done it once, since we are regulars to Cozumel and have many of our own favorite places to visit, but I wouldn't hesitate to book it again if the time was right.

The tour is very well run, with "some" tour chat between stops and very efficient at keeping on schedule. We took the tour with about 15 people, one large group, our group of 2 and another couple. At first I was concerned the group traveling together would take over and I wouldn't enjoy it but it all worked out really well - just the right amount of socializing, and free time. At each stop you are at liberty to stay with the group, or go off and do your own thing. We enjoyed mixing and chatting to the group we were with but were also able to go and explore each location on our own. That said, I fully understand that the tour on any given day depends on the demographics of the group involved, but I would like to emphasize that "partying" is not due to pressure from the organizers.

It is "fun" due to having the opportunity to travel and mix with a (small) group, and due to the funky bars and scenery of the east side. If you haven't visited the east side I would highly recommend taking advantage of this tour. Also for just two people it is actually a reasonable price compared to other options. The included drinks, are four, small "sample" drinks, fully described on their website, and not four straight shots as some people, who haven't done their homework expect and are disappointed to discover. Extra food and drink cost extra at each venue (cash only) so you will not be provide with, or be expected to, participate in drinking straight shots at the bar!

If the group on a given day turn out to be not to your liking then you have no option but to put up with them on the bus but you can easily do your own thing at each stop. However from the rave reviews on here and the number of people that have taken the tour multiple times I would suggest you give it a try and I hope you have a good time, like we did! I would say it will be a totally different to a day at Mr Sanchos, you will not have the water toys or sports available and you will be moving between venues.

With regards timing, the tour leaves at different times each day depending on the port hours of the ships that are in port that day. You meet in town but you are dropped off at individual piers on return. If you are back earlier than you want to return you could always ask to be dropped off in town, especially if there is a ship at Punta Langosta and finish off partying, or shopping there before taking a taxi back to the ship. Or you may find like us, after 4-5 hours out in the sun you are ready to go back for a rest!

Edited by c-leg5

We have been to Cozumel twice. First time we did Mr. Sanchos all inclusive and loved it. Great food, drinks, beach with your own table/chairs/umbrella/loungers, pool with a swim-up bar, etc.

Second time we did the Dolphin swim and manatee encounter at Chaknaab which was a blast! After the organized excursion you can explore the park. Beach where you can rent snorkel gear, restaurant, tequila tasting, sea lion show, Mayan ruin replicas, etc. It is a neat place to visit.

We will be visiting again in November and in February and plan to do the highly recommended Bar Hop in Nov and the Cenote Swim and Turtle Cove Snorkel in Feb.

Always lots of great excursions available in Coz~

Have fun! :D

How did you get to Mr Sanchos and how much did it cost? We are two adults and wondering if we organise another couple from our Rollcall to go with us will the taxi fit 4 people?

Thanks for any help.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

How did you get to Mr Sanchos and how much did it cost? We are two adults and wondering if we organise another couple from our Rollcall to go with us will the taxi fit 4 people?

Thanks for any help.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Taxi for 4 should be about $17+tip each way. In addition to standard cabs there are van-taxis that offer the same fare. the ride takes about 10-15 minutes.

There are three cruise ship piers on Cozumel - after a fun day of sun and drinking, be sure you leave in time to catch your ship and go back to the correct pier.

Thanks c-leg5 for the details. I've sent an email from the website to ask about times and availability. We will probably try it and either shop downtown before or after. If we went to Sanchos, we wouldn't use the water toys, etc and just hang out on a lounger and enjoy the atmosphere. I can't see how we could go wrong either way, there are just so many options in Cozumel that we always want to do it all. thanks :-)